Creating a system restore partition

bookie32

Hi folks :thumbup

I know I am going to get shot down on this one, but I am not a super programmer like a lot of you guys on this forum and I need spoon feeding (not breast feeding).....LOL!

OK! I would like to tackle this from som different perspectives. I am trying to build up my computer support company and utilise stuff that can save me time and money....BUT I don't mind doing the work....

I have two types of customers - my private ones and then the company ones. For my private ones I would like to build into their computers a recovery partition that most companies install now....if possible with the option to burn to CD's from the new installation?

I am working mostly with windows 7 now but I get lots of crashed drives on Vista where the recovery partition is dead and I need to replace the drive with a new one. When installing Windows onto a newly built system I have the option of doing what I like with the hard drive and would like to install a hidden recovery partition, so that my customers are given the option of recovering their drive if things go pearshaped. Of course - I would like this in order to increase the building of new computers on a more profecional level.

I have access to OEM preinstallation software as I sell computers with OEM licenses,but don't really know how to utilise that for this project. I will be honest and say I get swamped with info and then shut down..... :ph34r:

Of course many of my customers wont attempt to recover their computers which leaves me with the task and it would be nice to have the recovery function built in...not expecting to learn this over night...Trying to cover so many options. It would be nice to have the option of recovery without losing personal settings etc.

I know that some of this is quite easy to do....always is when you know how. Can someone get me started with this?

At the moment I would like to build in the hidden recovery partition for individual customers.Maybe if I have several computers with the same hardware - then I can clone the whole drive including recovery and c?

Just need to get started on this if someone wouldn't mind leading me through the process? I will have lots of questions on the way.....

bookie32

If by "OEM Preinstallation" software you mean disty or DSP, you can try creating a recovery partition (with Windows RE) but you may run into the problem of the OS not being activated. If Windows is not activated, the repair option will not appear or work properly. It's always been a rule for me to never create a recovery partition for OEM/DSP media type installations.

I am not certain what options you would have if you are a recognized System Builder with Microsoft. You should contact your Microsoft/Partner account rep and find out what kind of options you have.

As far as making "Recovery Media" you are not allowed to do it on your own. Microsoft requires that all recovery media (like DVDs) can only be made by authorised replicators.

There are some other programs that can make a recovery partition for you. I know that Acronis sells a product that can accomplish this, but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

Hi Tripredacus :thumbup

Thanks for stopping bye....OK it says Windows 7 OEM Preinstallation Kit for system builders. I can get in contact with them on that score...OK! with the risk of being shot down in flames...... B) Most laptops come with an OEM license. I wonder in that case what manufacturers do..they sell computers with individual OEM licenses and they almost all have system restore partitions...just wondering how they get over that hurdle about activation..do they install windows and activate it before creating the restore partition or is the partition created in the beginning but no files are there until the computer is activated and gone through sysprep and then an image is transferred to the partition for restoring the computer in case of crashes...

Sorry, waffling on here...I will look at acronis and see what they have I will also look at the cd's and what microsoft say about that...thanks for that info...

I do know that many shops here in sweden offer the repair cd option... Maybe they just transfer a copy of the computer that can restore like the restore partition...must be the same principle involved.

Thanks again for your input!

bookie32

Edited by bookie32

To use OPK materials you need to sign NDA with Microsoft! You definately need to go through the Partner channel to get help using it. If you do not know who your TAM is, your Partner rep should be able to get you in contact with him/her. While the Windows OPK is very similar to the public WAIK, there are some differences!

You can see a run-down of COAs here:

http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=coa

The non-OEM (it is still called OEM and creates some terminology confusion in the channel) is on that page listed as "Small Manufacturer Pre-Installed Windows COAs". Those are from the type of media you can buy from a distributor that comes in the plastic case that says "For use with a system only" or "system builder version" or something like that. The Large Manufacturer COAs are for people like Dell or HP or Lenovo.

I would be very careful when using the OPK to create a recovery partition or the ability to reinstall a Large OEM OS, as it may not be legal. Check with your Partner rep on the specific related MS policies in your country.

For the Acronis thing, they have a feature called "Secure Zone" which creates the recovery partition. I haven't played with it. Other companies that sell recovery solutions is Phoenix and SoftThinks. Probably others but those are the only ones I know about.

Hi Tripredacus :yes:

Thanks for the great info....Yes, it seems that there are many little legal thingys to sort out.....help...

I have looked at secure zone and that could be an option. I have written to acronis to get more insight into the licensing side of things....the suppliers here in Sweden are more into the back up and restore side of things and not the restore partition...but we will see what acronis has to say.

Going to investigate your link and try and get back to you soon.

Thanks a lot for your time...much appreciated!

bookie32

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tripredacus :yes:

Thanks for the great info....Yes, it seems that there are many little legal thingys to sort out.....help...

I have looked at secure zone and that could be an option. I have written to acronis to get more insight into the licensing side of things....the suppliers here in Sweden are more into the back up and restore side of things and not the restore partition...but we will see what acronis has to say.

Going to investigate your link and try and get back to you soon.

Thanks a lot for your time...much appreciated!

bookie32

in my view if you want this badly enought, and you fear for legal issues, i would advice you to NOT use the microsoft tools ...

instead you could just copy the whole ISO (win 7 installer) to a hidden partition and use a non windows bootloader, to be able to boot it if needed, some bios'es also support this kind of feature - but not verry many do (with non oem firmware).

in my opionion 'we (the comunity) should focus on being able to installed windows without its boot loader' after that its not hard at all to either boot from a dvdrom iso (on the harddisk) or from a disk clone (norton ghost, or equivilant)

so how do you 'patch' windows vista / windows 7 to not force itself into your Master Boot record.

Hi win2k Freak :hello:

I hear you and thanks for your input much appreciated!

Haven't been able to work with this project for a while...pressure of work...but will get back to it soon.

Tripredacus

Thanks for your info as well..have looked at your link but still haven't decided which way to go yet...chasing my tail at the moment...:)

bookie32