Speed up Win7 bootup

Bad boy Warrior

I dont think there is a free version of Bootvis for Win7

there is one ;) It is called Windows Performance Toolkit. make sure you have the service Superfetch running and next try to speed up the boot with the help of my guide:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140262

and i have enabled Win7 to use 2 CPUs rather than 1 - any other work arounds?

forget this "tweak". Windows always use all cores.

I couldn't find any relevant articles to this or any tweaks so wondering what tools/tweaks are there to speed up Win7 boot up times? I don't think there is a free version of Bootvis for Win7 and i have enabled Win7 to use 2 CPU's rather than 1 - any other work arounds?

Thanks

G'day Bad Boy!

Since W-7 was released, the internet has been abuzz with tweaks and adjustments to speed up boot times, shut down times and general speed and efficiency. I incorporate them all and I have a PC that runs like a scalded dog. Just Google for what you want and you'll get lots of ideas.

Cheers Mate!

B)

Guest winstonterr

Hi,

After installing win7 on my mac, it said Welcome with the blue ring but then suddenly, it turned into Shutting Down...after shutting down and rebooting, my mac boots up the win7 cd and into the installation process again... did I do anything wrong?I read on some websites that I'm supposed to eject the CD after the first reboot, is that right? If so, I had another problem: after ejecting, it boots into mac os...Please help me.

• 3 weeks later...

The proper procedure for setting up a duel boot mac is as follows:

(When I say proper procedure I mean it's what has worked for me with my duel boot iMac at work.)

Install snow leopard

Run bootcamp in the utilities folder and split the drive in 2. Insert your windows 7 dvd before restarting the mac.

When you do restart it will start the windows 7 installation

When it gets to the partition setup section you have to click advanced options and FORMAT PARTITION 3 (Bootcamp) as NTFS file format.

Bootcamp creates the partition as FAT32 by default because it was originally written for Windows XP.

Once formatted as NTFS continue with the windows install.

When windows install finishes (It will restart a few times during install) you should be at the windows 7 desktop or login screen.

Windows setup should not automatically restart the installation with the dvd in the drive unless it hasn't completed. In which case the bootcamp process will start it again automatically.

Usually as long as you DONT press any key to start install..... it will ignore the dvd. (IF OS installation was successful to begin with.)

A few things.

When the mac screen goes grey at start up, hold down the D key (and keep it held down) until the partition boot manager pops up. It will allow you to select which disk/partition to boot from. It will also list the DVD as a boot option.

(You can also hold down the C key to boot from CD/DVD.)

It sounds like the Windows 7 operating system installation isn't completing successfully and that is why the OSX partition is still set as the ACTIVE boot partition on the mac. Bootcamp should have changed this to the windows partition. (You are running bootcamp first right?)

There is also a little free utility called bootpicker from the apple website that allows you to select which operating system you would like to boot into.

Holing down the eject key during the grey boot screen should force eject your dvd from the mac OR try holding down the F12 key + the Eject key to force eject the dvd from the mac during the grey boot screen.

If you do this during an incomplete install of Windows 7 you may find yourself staring at a black screen with a flashing white underscore at the top left of the screen.

Restart the mac again and if it's still like that, windows will need re-installed. Possibly you would have to delete the windows partition, re-create it and format it and then continue the install.

Edited by maxvre

I dont think there is a free version of Bootvis for Win7

there is one ;) It is called Windows Performance Toolkit. make sure you have the service Superfetch running and next try to speed up the boot with the help of my guide:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140262

Any way to do this without the Windows 7 SDK? I like the idea, but am against adding 2.5 GB of files to my OS drive

and i have enabled Win7 to use 2 CPUs rather than 1 - any other work arounds?

forget this "tweak". Windows always use all cores.

Sorry if you did not see my question embedded within. I do not post here often and am not used to the new formatting and did not notice the quick reply section below as I was responding to your post. Here is my question:

Any way to do this without the Windows 7 SDK? I like the idea, but am against adding 2.5 GB of files to my OS drive