nLite questions - XP SP3 slipstreamed installation

bert

Hi,

I've used the latest version of nLite to create a slipstreamed installation disc for WindowsXP and I added SP3 when creating the disc.

I did a test install and some things worked, e.g. the Admin password which I specified, however, the other user which I'd set up was not present.

When creating the disc, I also specified my product key and when doing the test install, I was not prompted for it - seems mostly okay so far.

However, when XP finished installing and I checked the Product Key (right-clicked on Computer > Properties > General tab), it did not match.

The PC was not online, because I'm sending the disc to a friend and I didn't want automatic authentication to associate the key with my PC.

If I went online, would the displayed Product Key be amended to the one in my documentation, or is it always 'encrypted' in this way, so you can't see the true value?

My other question is, can I just install SP3 without adding SP2 first? Logically I wouldn't think so, but I read something suggesting that SP2 needed to be installed before SP3 (and there is no facility to do this in nLite).

Looking forward to feedback!

Thanks.

Welcome to MSFN , bert.

My other question is, can I just install SP3 without adding SP2 first?
According to MS, yes. For all other questions, please post you last Session.ini and you Last Session_u.ini (remove your product key and passwords).

Oh, and... for nLite questions, please post in the nLite forum http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/89-nlite/

I checked the Product Key (right-clicked on Computer > Properties > General tab), it did not match.

This is not the prduct key but the product ID (I'm not sure whether it refers to the version only or also the media it's installed from). To read the product key, you need 3rd party programs.

As for the rest, please check the big red bold text up your screen indeed. :rolleyes:

bert, for us to help you, you need to attach (not Paste) your Last Session.ini as requested above in BOLD RED letters. In your case, please also post your Last Session_u.ini, but first remove all private data such as key and PWs. Just x then out. You only need to add SP2 before SP3 on a running system. When slipstreaming, you only need to integrate SP3 no matter what your CD contains. Enjoy, John.