Installing XP from Windows 7 WinPE?

I've been trying to figure out this one for some time now:

Creating a *.WIM containing a Windows XP Professional installation that is Hardware independent, and can thus be installed on another machine with the help of the Preinstallation environment for win7

Anyone know if it's possible to do this and, if it's possible, how to do it?

I have seen it done before. My boss showed me his Windows Deployment server it looked like vista installation. I think he had to run sysprep to generalize the system. Then he he loaded it to the image server. I imagen if you make a win pe 2.0 disk and then deploy the xppro.wim manualy it will work. Look up: Windows automated Deployment Kit it has basic instructions

Correct - a WinXP installation source that is hardware independant (as much as can be made so) matters not if it's being installed from a WIM, from source, or any other imaging format. The WIM file is just a container for deploying the filesystem and files, the actual act of making the image fairly hardware-independant is the same as if you used other methods (like the one jaclaz pointed out). If you can make a riprep or ghost image (or acronis, or.... <insert imaging format here>) hardware independant, the exact same steps will work on a WIM image.