laptop brightness key

syobon999

I know server 2003 comes with several desktop features disabled or crippled, so i could expect not being able to change my laptop brightness with the fn keys, but it doesn't work in xp x64 also! both 2003 and xp 64bits share the same kernel so I suppose this problem is some bizarre compatibility problem or bug, the key works out-of-box with windows xp 32 bits, vista, 2008, 7, 2008R2, and linux (ubuntu, fedora, opensuse), no need to install drivers! and so there is no proprietary drivers to install in my laptop (it is an old and custom built-in (no brand) with u50sa motherboard and sis chipset, ati mobility radeon 2400.)

So i ask for help if anyone have any idea of how could I increase/decrease my laptop brightness with or without the special key, in server 2003, I made some research and it seem no software can't control the back-light of a laptop. out of luck?

On some notebooks, those special or Fn keys are controlled by a program on the OS. For example, the keys on MSI notebooks will only work if you have the SCM installed. Even a whitebook (barebone) notebook is made by someone. See if you can track down who that is and see if you can find this software.

• 2 weeks later...