Most Recent IE for WfW3.11

JorgeA

jaclaz,

Hello again!

Well well:

1. using IE on Win 3.x
  2. using IE to access the "ShieldsUp!" page

you are lucky that we live in the 21st century, if you did the same in say the 14th you would have probably been processed (and condemned) for blasphemy!

Umm... I guess I won't tell you, then, that I still have all the vinyl LPs I ever purchased, or that I recently had my Betamax VCR refurbished and it works great!! :yes:

Thank you for the heads-up on Steve Gibson and his work. I've been catching up on his weekly "Security Now!" podcasts, listening to them in the shower. (Maybe I shouldn't tell you that, instead of using something like an iPod, I burn them onto CDs and listen on a -- Sony Walkman! :w00t: )

Can you point me to an alternative website that will test my PCs for exposure on the Internet? That's the main reason I go to grc.com. (Obviously it's not something that I need to do very often, but I would like to test the ol' 3.11 machine.)

And thanks for the tip re: Opera. If I can't get any version of IE to work on that computer AND load 128-bit encrypted pages, I will definitely look into it.

--JorgeA

Which version of DOS are you running WfW 3.11 on top of, BTW? And which versions of HIMEM and EMM386 are you using?

dencorso,

Great to be in touch again!

It's MS-DOS 6.20. (Yeah, not even 6.22.) The timestamp for both HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE is 11-03-93, and the file sizes are 29,136 and 120,926, respectively.

Hope this helps in figuring things out. Let me know if you need any more info on those two files.

--JorgeA

Sure, JorgeA, it's nice to be in touch again! :thumbup

I'm not betting on it, but try upgrading HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE to the versions

that shipped with Win 98 and up.

For HIMEM.SYS we have:

HIMEM.SYS: Version 3.95 - 05/11/98 33191 kiB Win 98 FE

HIMEM.SYS: Version 3.95 - 04/23/99 33191 kiB Win 98 SE

HIMEM.SYS: Version 3.95 - 06/08/00 33191 kiB Win ME (at C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD\)

despite their dates, these files are binarily identical.

For EMM386.EXE we have:

EMM386.EXE: Version 3.95 - 05/11/98 125495 kiB Win 98 FE

EMM386.EXE: Version 3.95 - 04/23/99 125495 kiB Win 98 SE

EMM386.EXE: Version 3.95 - 06/08/00 125495 kiB Win ME (at C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD\)

despite their dates, the first two files are binarily identical, while the 3rd has only the internal date and DOS version strings changed, so it's the same for all purposes, too.

Both HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE don't check for DOS version, so they should work OK with any DOS version, at least from 5.00 up. Maybe, by upgrading those files you'll be able to install IE 5.01. Good luck!

Fwiw ...

Microsoft provides an updated version of emm386 for

Dos 6.0 / 6.2 ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/122415/en-us

Don't ask me how to set it....been too long.. :rolleyes:

Also you might want to take a look at Win32s for Win 3.x

Jake

Jake,

Thanks very much for the tip!

Probably the most straightforward way to set emm386 will be to delete the old one and copy the new version in. After all, we're talking about DOS here...

I recently added Win32s to that system, so I should be all set there.

I'm seeing your post at the same time as dencorso's, who suggests using an emm386 from Windows 98. Maybe I'll see first if I can use the one that you give, if only to keep the system "within the 3.11 family" as much as possible. Then if that doesn't work, I'll try the Win98 version.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

dencorso,

Thanks for the info. As you know, I do have Win98 (in both flavors), so getting copies of each of these will be a snap. :D

Triger49 suggested going to the Microsoft site for an updated version of emm386. Should I try that first?

--JorgeA

Fwiw ...

Microsoft provides an updated version of emm386 for

Dos 6.0 / 6.2 ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/122415/en-us

Don't ask me how to set it....been too long.. :rolleyes:

Also you might want to take a look at Win32s for Win 3.x

Jake

Jake,

Thanks very much for the tip!

Probably the most straightforward way to set emm386 will be to delete the old one and copy the new version in. After all, we're talking about DOS here...

I recently added Win32s to that system, so I should be all set there.

I'm seeing your post at the same time as dencorso's, who suggests using an emm386 from Windows 98. Maybe I'll see first if I can use the one that you give, if only to keep the system "within the 3.11 family" as much as possible. Then if that doesn't work, I'll try the Win98 version.

--JorgeA

Hi ...

The only reason I suggested that was because that update

from Microsoft resolved issues with the PCI bus and memory

reporting that I had dealt with once upon a time.

But Dencorso won't lead you astray ... :yes:

Although I have less than rave reviews about his

suggestion for Kensington mouseware ....but that's just me :whistle:

Cheers

Jake

:blink:

It never gave me any grief, but I'd gladly read what issues you've had with it.

Notice that Kensington mouseware is one piece of software that I recommend but it seems nobody really likes it but me. To me the MS Intellimouse Optical v. 1.1 connected through the PS/2 connector plus Kensington mouseware 6.11 is a winner...

dencorso,

I have an update.

I copied EMM386.EXE and HIMEM.SYS over from my Win98 tower to the 3.11 PC (I renamed the old files in case I need to bring them back), and rebooted.

Rebooting went fine, which was a relief. Then I tried to run the installation program for IE5 -- and I got the same message as before about not running on less than 4 megabytes.

For good measure, I then also tried to install IE4, and I got a different but related error: "There is not enough memory to start the specified application. Quit one or more applications, and then try again." (I didn't have any other programs running.)

What can we do next? Maybe I'll try the EMM386.EXE for DOS 6.22 that triger49 suggested. Anything else?

--JorgeA

Jake,

Maybe I should try this idea (to get the emm386 for DOS 6.22) next. Grafting the two Windows 98 files onto the 3.11 system didn't crash it, but they didn't help with the installation of IE5 (or IE4), either. Unless there's some other tweak to try first.

I repeat once more how delighted I am with this forum, where folks pitch in to help with the most esoteric and obscure problems that people run into!

--JorgeA

What can we do next? Maybe I'll try the EMM386.EXE for DOS 6.22 that triger49 suggested. Anything else?

Yeah I'd try getting an EMS provider online. Often times with software of that era, it wouldn't be very clear, just would say "not enough memory", but not too specific on what KIND of memory. Like with the SB Audigy drivers, they want EMS memory on the first 2MB block or so of extended, but all they will do on load is say "not enough memory".

Probably good to have the EMS provider online anyway, to be sure that anything you might try will work. This is good because my understanding is that EMS memory was always easier to program for than XMS, so many programs used it.

I know IE 5.01 works on WFW 3.11 because I've done it (long time ago, though). Keep at it and you should get it working!

:blink:

It never gave me any grief, but I'd gladly read what issues you've had with it.

Notice that Kensington mouseware is one piece of software that I recommend but it seems nobody really likes it but me. To me the MS Intellimouse Optical v. 1.1 connected through the PS/2 connector plus Kensington mouseware 6.11 is a winner...

Edited by triger49

Jake,

Maybe I should try this idea (to get the emm386 for DOS 6.22) next. Grafting the two Windows 98 files onto the 3.11 system didn't crash it, but they didn't help with the installation of IE5 (or IE4), either. Unless there's some other tweak to try first.

I repeat once more how delighted I am with this forum, where folks pitch in to help with the most esoteric and obscure problems that people run into!

--JorgeA

Hi...

Somewhere in Win 3.1x itself is a mem command, I would be interested

to know how much memory Windows thinks it has?

Also, there are a truckload of switches for emm386 which use to be

a source of consternation for everybody. I think MDGX has them

documented on his website...I'll see if I can find them and post back.

Cheers

Jake

dencorso,

I have an update.

I copied EMM386.EXE and HIMEM.SYS over from my Win98 tower to the 3.11 PC (I renamed the old files in case I need to bring them back), and rebooted.

Rebooting went fine, which was a relief. Then I tried to run the installation program for IE5 -- and I got the same message as before about not running on less than 4 megabytes.

For good measure, I then also tried to install IE4, and I got a different but related error: "There is not enough memory to start the specified application. Quit one or more applications, and then try again." (I didn't have any other programs running.)

--JorgeA

No. Keep the files from 98. You problem lies elsewhere. And, as I was already suspecting, it's related to *too much* memory. See MS KB239550 for the workaround. This should allow you to install IE5.01... Afterwards, do let me know whether it worked or not.

Cheers to both you and Jake!

dencorso,

I have an update.

--JorgeA

No. Keep the files from 98. You problem lies elsewhere. And, as I was already suspecting, it's related to *too much* memory. See MS KB239550 for the workaround. This should allow you to install IE5.01... Afterwards, do let me know whether it worked or not.

Cheers to both you and Jake!

Good find.....

Jake

Edited by triger49

dencorso,

Put another feather in your cap -- it worked!! :thumbup Thanks a million!

This is great. I was able to do the Shields Up! tests, and the PC passed.

Interesting that it could load the https page even without the High Encryption Pack. Should I go ahead and download+install that anyway?

One more thing. Now that my WfW 3.11 machine has elements of Windows 98 (emm386.exe, himem.sys) grafted onto it, can I call the system Windows 3.98 ? :angel

--JorgeA