Repair your Computer is missing

vekylarsen

I have Dell laptop with win vista as operating system. when I bought it, it was containing 2 partitions. One for system 140 Gb and the other recovery 10 Gb. After press F8 I was able to see repair your computer from advanced boot options by which I was able to restore factory image. I have resized these 2 partitions to have third one

Now this option is missing so is it possible to return it back? I'm still having the recovery partition but with less capacity 6 Gb

I have tried vista DVD by which I was able to see system recovery option but there was no dell factory image restore

Any advice plz

Thanks

I don't know if the Recovery DVD will put the recovery partition back on. From looking at my Vista WinRE info, it appears there may only be 2 reasons why it does not give the option anymore:

1. The drive ID number has been changed.

2. The volume GUID has been changed.

Unfortunately I can only give these reasons and not be able to assist you in fixing it.

Thanks for your reply

Actually I can do PC restore from DVD Windows Vista (factory image)

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=298A2E89689E13C2E040A68F5B280AA4&cs

Moreover I searched on the net to find any way to return back that option but they didn't work, I mean I couldn't complete the process due to some error messeges

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/19134368.aspx

http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/winvistare.htm

I think you are right, may be because of that resizing the data corrupted or the recovery ID number and volume have been changed. I don't know

When I used Windows AIK and command prompt to type SetAutoFailOver.cmd /target d: /partition 2, it didn't make any sense althuogh I specified the number and letter of the partition

Any way I will try to find a way

Yes that is the file that creates the partition, or sets it if it already exists. This file will be somewhere on your system, you can open it and read it. If you read it, you will see near the bottom where it sets the volume ID.

Excuse me which file that you mean?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

On Windows 7/Vista the 'Repair your computer' on F8 ("Advanced boot options") dependence is like this:

First of all:

The Windows 7/Vista BCD contains objects and every object has an id which is a {GUID}.

The objects in the BCD are of type: 1.Loaders/Applications, 2.Settings and 3.DeviceOptions

Every object has items.

1. The Loader object in the BCD must have two items:

1.1. RecoverySequence item with value '{GUID1}'

1.2. RecoveryEnabled item with value 'true'

2. {GUID1} above is a reference to another loader object called the 'Recovery Loader'

The Recovery Loader object is a 'normal' Windows 7 Loader object with two exceptions:

2.1. The Recovery Loader object has an additional item 'RecoveryOS' with value 'true'

2.2. The Recovery Loader object has usually for item 'device' (also called 'ApplicationDevice') the value of:

'DeviceType=RamdiskDevice + DriveAndPath to winre.wim + AdditionalOptions={GUID2}'

3. {GUID2} in the line above is the object id of the corresponding DeviceOptions object.

The DeviceOptions object contains DeviceAndPath to boot.sdi

To sum up:

To have 'Repair your computer on F8' = the Windows 7/Vista loader has a reference to another loader which loads winre.wim with the help of boot.sdi to RAM.

Edited by Tripredacus
removed link