What sort of task do you usually do when you got nothing to do in the

albertwt

Hi Everyone,

As a sysadmin in the company, what sort of things do you usually do when you got nothing to do in the office (or at least not that busy day) ?

Because if you just sitting down doing nothing and browsing the internet wouldn't be a good report to your supervisor or boss

These are some of the following task that i usually do:

1. Test Backup and Recovery strategy

2. Check antivirus status and windows update

3. Windows Server and VM maintenance

4. Hardware and Software Inventory tracking

5. researching for better software / hardware to invest and implement in the company.

Edited by albertwt

I basically handle my work schedule with projects. If all current projects are completed and I am in relative limbo, I have the following on my list:

- testing new recovery partition solutions

- develop a thin client that supports video acceleration for burn in

- organize files on the file server

- rewrite the loader on our USB Boot Keys

- test server backup solutions

- rewrite websites/test security

Otherwise i just throw the football around the office.

:thumbup

I basically handle my work schedule with projects. If all current projects are completed and I am in relative limbo, I have the following on my list:

- testing new recovery partition solutions

- develop a thin client that supports video acceleration for burn in

- organize files on the file server

- rewrite the loader on our USB Boot Keys

- test server backup solutions

- rewrite websites/test security

Otherwise i just throw the football around the office.

wow, you really have a good life in there :-)

mine just a small shop therefore if nothing happens in the sysadmin world it would looks bad or even worst (got fired by the boss).

but thanks for the idea man i appreciate that.

Online or offline training that way when the boss finds out you have everything running so well he thinks you aren't needed, you have more certifications under your belt for the new job.

Which it seems to me that the ultimate goal of a sysadmin or IT support person should be to have nothing to do. If everything was done right the first time all you should have to do is the new project and the unforeseen or unavoidable emergencies, or maintenance of business tasks (which hopefully can be automated as much as possible).

Which it seems to me that the ultimate goal of a sysadmin or IT support person should be to have nothing to do.

If everything was done right the first time all you should have to do is the new project and the unforeseen or unavoidable emergencies, or maintenance of business tasks (which hopefully can be automated as much as possible).

Exactly. :)

Point is that in many places (wrongly) the deal is not (as it should):

Do whatever you want, come to the office whenever you see fit, the only thing I ask you in exchange for the money I give you is that everything goes smooth and the few inevitable emergencies are dealt with quickly and efficiently.

There is still the (wrong) conception linked to "factory worker":

You stay here from 9 to 5, 5 days a week and do something (that I don't know sh*t about) all the time if you want my money.

This also doesn't help much in distinguishing "good" IT admin from "bad" ones (in the sense of "smart/capable/efficient" vs. "unknowledgeable but hard working"). :angel

jaclaz

Online or offline training that way when the boss finds out you have everything running so well he thinks you aren't needed, you have more certifications under your belt for the new job.

Which it seems to me that the ultimate goal of a sysadmin or IT support person should be to have nothing to do. If everything was done right the first time all you should have to do is the new project and the unforeseen or unavoidable emergencies, or maintenance of business tasks (which hopefully can be automated as much as possible).

wow that'sa good one man,

thanks for encouraging us all here.

wow that'sa good one man,

thanks for encouraging us all here.

Just wish I could get to that point myself. :( Getting close but not there yet.