Excel Problem opening my files (Solved)

bookie32

Hi guys! :thumbup

Need a bit of help! OK! this is strange..I work with excel all the time but suddenly it wont open my files. The error message is in Swedish, but the translation is "An error occurred when the command is sent to the program". I tried moving the files to another computer, but the same problem?

This is what I have achieved...I installed open office and there is no problem opening the files. I can actually open excel and go from there to open the files and that also works...

Something seems wrong with the address but I can't for the life of me come up with a solution that allows me to open the document directly if using Microsoft Excel.

I have run the repair program option but no dice. Going to reinstall the program but seems like it may be a wase of time as well.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks as always!

bookie32

Edited by bookie32

prelim t-shooting:.. you probably already know this by the tone of your email....

1. Examine your EVENT LOGS... (rt click my computer) MANAGE- EVENT VIEWER.. depending on what ver of office you have, you should have an OFFICE event log. Also look at the Application Event logs

2. Start excel in SAFE mode .. excel.exe /safe ..may give you an idea of what is wrong

3. Use the built in Detect/repair offered in either the File pulldown menu or the "big office button"; again depends on the version.

random goolge search returns these seemingly helpful hints :

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.aspx

if excel opens other data files, that implies it's EMBEDDED DATA in the problemn excel spreadsheet

also looke at trust center settings.. you may want to "liberal-ize" your trust center to see if that jars the problem loose... ex.. trust all macros etc etc..

Hi again!

One other thing...doesn't matter if I create new documents.....can't open them directly by clicking on them after saving and then trying to open the document itself.....

So, I guess we can say that this is bonkers....

bookie32

Hi again! :thumbup

Found a solution...a guy had the same problem and can't remember where he found the answer, but it is a default setting that causes the hickup....never did before but that doesn't bother me at the moment..

OK! take a look at his solution.... In Excel > options and then advanced...way down to you come to "General". Just remove DDE and it works fine now!

Why it started....no idea?

bookie32

Go to first topic click the edit button in the lower right of the first post window it will reload with the minimal editor click the link to use the full editor and then you can edit the title. Might want to fix the spelling error in Exel also ;) to Excel .