98SE SP Icons

Yushatak

I love the original 98 icons for My Computer, Network Neighborhood, and Recycle Bin. I do not like the ME/2k-style ones. These are forcefully applied with the SE SP 2.1a or the beta (the beta refuses to boot on my Presario 3020, though).. how can I revert to the 98se icons? Any idea why this isn't a checkbox'd option in the SP?

Edit: I remembered that I can just use the desktop properties applet to swap the icons, but it would be nice to know how to switch them via registry or whatever that applet changes so I could do so automatically (slipstreaming ftw?).

Edited by Yushatak

I love the original 98 icons for My Computer, Network Neighborhood, and Recycle Bin. I do not like the ME/2k-style ones. These are forcefully applied with the SE SP 2.1a or the beta (the beta refuses to boot on my Presario 3020, though).. how can I revert to the 98se icons? Any idea why this isn't a checkbox'd option in the SP?

Edit: I remembered that I can just use the desktop properties applet to swap the icons, but it would be nice to know how to switch them via registry or whatever that applet changes so I could do so automatically (slipstreaming ftw?).

Change the icons with a program such as Desktop Architect and monitor the registry changes with something like Regshot.

Unsure if the SP replace the actual icons through patching or if it does add them separately and changes the registry entries though.

I'm no expert on the uSP, and I don't use it myself, although I have tested it before. I also do not care for some of the icon changes, and I asked a similar question (quoted below) a while back. The icons are changed because the uSP installs different versions of EXPLORER.EXE and SHELL32.DLL (both from ME I think). The icons are hard coded into these files. I ran an experiment once by making a copy of the original 98SE SHELL32.DLL and renaming it to something else, then going in to change the desktop icons and pointing to the old file when prompted for a location. This will fix most of the icons, but I was unable to fix the Recycle Bin icon inside Windows Explorer. dencorso suggested a solution in the quote below, but I have yet to experiment with it.

I do like the new My Computer icon of the mdgx-installer better than the previous icon, but how could I get the old icons back?

The easiest way to do it is this: keep the old version of explorer.exe renamed to any other extension (.ori will do OK) in any convenient folder of your liking or even in c:\windows. Then right-click the desktop and find the tab that shows the especial icons. Select the icon you want to change and point it to the old icon in the old explorer file. If this generic explanation is too vague, I can give you a step-by-step one as soon as I'm using 98SE (but, at the moment I'm on XP).

While we're on this subject, I have a question.

I have been trying out some of the various "updates" that are available here on a test 98SE system (USP, 98SE2ME, etc) in preparation for the new system I'm building. While I love the idea of adding new functionality, I (in most cases) do not care for changing how my system looks. I might be able to get used to some of the Windows ME desktop icons, but there's one specific thing that really irks me... I do not like the Windows ME Recycle Bin icon. I know how to change the ones on the desktop with the same method described here, but that does not change the one on the tree view inside Windows Explorer. Is it possible to change this? :unsure:

Yes. But you'll need Resource Hacker and some patience... Get the version of Explorer that has the icon you like. Save all resolutions of it to .ico files and then import them to the most updated (the one you intend to use) version of explorer. Resource editing is the best and most definitive way of doing it.

No need to mod edit DLL/EXE files in order to change Recycle Bin icons.

Recycle Bin icons are found under this registry key (default icons):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultIcon]

@="SHELL32.DLL,31"

"Empty"="SHELL32.DLL,31"

"Full"="SHELL32.DLL,32"

same as:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultIcon]

Changing those 2 icons can be done easily from: Desktop -> right-click -> Properties -> Desktop tab -> Customize desktop button -> highlight Recycle Bin Empty / Full -> click Change icon button -> browse to desired file/library -> double-click on it (select whatever icon if more than 1) -> click Apply/OK.

Those icons can be changed to any valid ICO, BMP file or ICL, DLL, EXE icon library [most common DLL + EXE libraries are found in %windir%\SYSTEM].

Regedit or a dedicated tweaking tool [X-Setup (now freeware) comes to mind] can also achieve this.

More info [some of these pages refer to other OSes, but procedure is almost identical]:

http://www.real-knowledge.com/changedesk.htm

http://www.tweaklibrary.com/Display/Fonts-and-Icons/39/Alter-the-Recycle-Bin-icons/11067/

http://www.malektips.com/vista-recycle-bin-icon-empty-full.html

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001021.htm

If any1 wants custom RB icons, here are a few resources [free]:

http://icone.goldenweb.it/index_file/l/en/d2/computer/c/recycle_bin_2/default.html

http://download.cnet.com/Holiday-Recycle-Bin-Icons/3000-2318_4-10051957.html

http://www.awicons.com/stock-icons/vista-artistic-icons/recycle-bin-icon/

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Icons-Related/Trash-Icons.shtml

Enjoy.

HTH

...Changing those 2 icons can be done easily from: Desktop -> right-click -> Properties -> Desktop tab -> Customize desktop button -> highlight Recycle Bin Empty / Full -> click Change icon button -> browse to desired file/library -> double-click on it (select whatever icon if more than 1) -> click Apply/OK...

The ones on the desktop aren't the problem, it's the icon on the tree view inside Windows Explorer. I could not get it to change no matter what I set the desktop icons to. Proper 98SE version is circled in the picture below:

rcyclbin.gif

Edited by LoneCrusader

The ones on the desktop aren't the problem, it's the icon on the tree view inside Windows Explorer. I could not get it to change no matter what I set the desktop icons to.

I guess you may be able to change them by looking to for "default icon" value under the appropriate CLSID key inside HKR, in the Registry...

Try these steps:

1. Clear the [possibly corrupted/obsolete] icon cache database: delete ShellIconCache [strip its read-only ( R )/hidden ( H ) attributes if necessary] from the %windir% folder (usually C:\WINDOWS).

2. Rebuild the icon cache:

Run TweakUI 1.33 → select the Repair tab → click "Repair Icons" button (do not reboot yet, even if instructed to do so).

3. Change the RB icons the way you want, as detailed in my previous post.

4. Reboot: may need to reboot twice, the icon cache repair process may not kick in the 1st time around. ;-(

HTH

• 3 weeks later...
Don't be so smart. Any HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT... or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE... to change warning icon?
What do you mean?

HKCR [alias key] is same as HKLM\Software\CLASSES [real key] and as HKCU\Software\Classes [real key = clone], basically 1 is the other's "alias"/"clone"/"twin".

More info:

http://www.mdgx.com/reg.htm#RTS

Scroll down to...

"These 6 Hive Keys (HK) are interrelated: the information contained in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (HKLM) and HKEY_USERS (HKU) (the only 2 "real" keys) appears also in 3 other Hive Keys (also called "alias" keys):" and see the table right beneath that paragraph.

So in conclusion [and to add to the confusion :wacko:]...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultIcon]

is identical to...

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultIcon]

and has another "clone"/"alias" at...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultIcon]

HKCU takes precedence over HKLM [HKLM\Software\Classes is same as HKCR].

Therefore if you change a key/value under HKCU\Software\Classes, it will automatically change also under HKLM\Software\Classes to match [they are kept "synchronized"], except a few security "sensitive" values which change only under HKCU [current user], but not under HKLM [machine wide].

HTH

@MDGx

How to change bitmap?

Same as you would change a shortcut icon with ICO, DLL or EXE file extension [and this applies to all shortcuts/links/URLs/etc icon change dialog boxes]:

Desktop -> right-click -> Properties -> Desktop tab -> Customize desktop button -> highlight Recycle Bin Empty / Full -> click Change icon button -> browse to desired file/library -> {a} type * in the "File name:" box and then press Enter -or- {b} under "Files of type:" select "All files" or "All file types" (if available) -> browse to whatever drive/partition + folder to select [highlight: single-click] desired BMP, RLE, ANI, CUR file or ICL, CPL library of icons [you have to do this because Windows doesn't recognize BMP, RLE, CPL, ICL, ANI or CUR as icons by default] -> double-click on it (select whatever icon if more than 1 = ICL, DLL, EXE, OCX files usually contain more than 1 icon) -> click Apply/OK.

More info:

http://www.mdgx.com/lastweek.htm#ANYGOES

All these file types work as shortcut icons in all Windows OSes.

HTH