PE Tool for creating patches

WildBill

V4 of MS11-012 is now up, and hopefully this is the end of any glitches (I know, I'm jinxing it...). This upgrades quite a few more icons and has fixes applied to fontext.dll and plustab.dll. Also, changing Shell Icon BPP registry key shouldn't be necessary as I've transplanted the logic over from XP (XP doesn't change that key either).

post-68113-0-92592700-1304293486_thumb.p

What you are doing for the Windows 2000 users out there (including me!) is amazing. I wish I could do the things you're doing and help out with the load, but I can help in another way: I have found out that the XP files for MS11-017, MS11-024, MS11-029 and MS11-033 work with 2000 rather well (Dependency Walker show no problems, Wordpad can open a Word 2000 document fine with the MS11-033 file installed, the FXSCOVER.EXE from XP's MS11-024 update loads up and seems to work fine, the MS11-024 MFC DLLs work with the programs I've tested, the new MSTSC files from MS11-017 work great and the new GDIPLUS.DLL from MS11-029 works with everything I've tested.)

Thanks again for making these updates, which are the reason I was able to bring my old laptop back to life!

- Another happy Win2k user

Edit: It looks like the MS11-031 JSCRIPT.DLL and VBSCRIPT.DLL also work with Windows 2000! (If Windows Script 5.7 is installed)

Thanks for checking those out. Every little bit of assistance helps. I've put together an MS11-033 update and tested it, and whenever MediaFire's upload engine gets fixed I'll post it. The last update to the MS Word converter was also usable as-is, and in this case only one routine changed -- it looks like they added a bunch of validation and limit-checking to it.

In the meantime I'm taking a look at some of the other updates. The MS11-003 IE update is such a nightmare that I'm going to have to put it on hold for now. I've ported a small amount of the changes to 2k, but there's still a LONG way to go.

Is anyone other than me having problems with 2479628 v4 (MS11-012)?

I've installed 2479628 v4 on two different Windows 2000 systems (both created with HFSLIP using FDV's fileset, which removes IE):

- System 1: using IE6 files (Browseui.dll version 6.0.xxxx.xxxx, etc.)

- System 2: using IE5 files (Browseui.dll version 5.0.xxxx.xxxx, etc.)

In System 1, 2479628 v4 installed fine. The 'white shadow around desktop icons' problem was gone. All icons look great except animated system tray icons such as the CCleaner 'cleaning in progress' icon, which appears 'whitewashed'.

In System 2 (with IE5 files, including an IE5 Browseui.dll), 2479628 v4 installs, but Explorer fails to load after the restart. The Windows login screen appears, but after log in, Explorer.exe doesn't start. Could it be that the IE6 Browseui.dll included in 2479628 v4 is the problem on this IE5-based system? On the other hand, it seems to be a recurrence of the problem I had with 324446, when I tried to install it manually (no problem though when HFSLIPPED). 324446 doesn't contain Browseui.dll, so I guess my problem is with this last version of Explorer.exe (version 5.0.3900.6920, which WildBill kindly modified and included in 2479628).

Is anyone seeing the 'whitewashed system tray icons' issue? Has anyone tried to install 2479628 on an IE5-based system?

Thanks for any reports.

Edited by bristols

You're right.

I've just tested it on a virtual machine (W2k Pro SP4, no other updates, IE5) and explorer doesn't start after installing the update.

Before having installed this hotfix I tried to run the new explorer.exe file manually and it works, so it's not the explorer itself that causes this problem. After installing the hotfix running the explorer manually is impossible as Task Manager generates an error when clicking on "file->run".

I have done some more testing of XP files on Windows 2000 and I have found that, with the ADVAPI32 and KERNEL32 files from blackwingcat's Known DLL Wrapper (renamed to ADVAPIXP and KERNELXP), XP's SCHANNEL.DLL from MS10-049 will work with Windows 2000. The only changes to XP's SCHANNEL I had to do was to hex edit the import table to import the wrapper DLLs (Similar to what blackwingcat did for iTunes). I have tested this with Gmail and Facebook and the TLS/SSL logins work properly.

Edited by MacLover

You're right.

I've just tested it on a virtual machine (W2k Pro SP4, no other updates, IE5) and explorer doesn't start after installing the update.

Before having installed this hotfix I tried to run the new explorer.exe file manually and it works, so it's not the explorer itself that causes this problem. After installing the hotfix running the explorer manually is impossible as Task Manager generates an error when clicking on "file->run".

The patch also updates browseui.dll, which is used by both Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer. What happens if you revert back to the old IE5 browseui after installing the patch? Really, though, because of all the files it updates it really does require the newer Explorer files. I don't see how it could work with IE5, which isn't secure anyway.

Edited by WildBill

Everything is true about IE5's security but I think it would be useful to put a warning in the third post in case someone installs this hotfix on a machine with IE5 and Windows gets broken.

Before having installed this hotfix I tried to run the new explorer.exe file manually and it works, so it's not the explorer itself that causes this problem.

Thanks for testing it, tomasz86. My testing confirms that Explorer.exe itself is not the problem. It seems that Browseui.dll (which, in WildBill's patch, is an IE6 file) is the culprit (or at least, partly responsible) on IE5-based systems. I installed all the appropriate files from the patch manually, using the Recovery Console, except Browseui.dll. Explorer launched normally after Windows login. Even the animated CCleaner system tray icon appeared fine - not whitewashed!

What happens if you revert back to the old IE5 browseui after installing the patch? Really, though, because of all the files it updates it really does require the newer Explorer files. I don't see how it could work with IE5, which isn't secure anyway.

Having installed the patch manually (as above, leaving out your Browseui.dll 6.0.2800.2008 and keeping the existing IE5 Browseui.dll) I can see that some icons are indeed broken. But apart from this, so far, nothing else seems to be.

(...) it would be useful to put a warning in the third post in case someone installs this hotfix on a machine with IE5 and Windows gets broken.

Agreed. I consider that 2479628 v4 is for IE6 only (sadly).

But having said that: after more testing, the patch still causes the whitewashed system tray icon issue for me on an IE6-based system. I haven't yet installed the patch without Browseui.dll on an IE6-based system to see how this effects the issue.

Edited by bristols

I made an IE5 version of KB2479628-v4. I just removed browseui.dll file from it. No other changes were made.

Windows2000-KB2479628-v4-IE5-x86-ENU.exe

I've tested it on a Windows 2000 Profession SP4 + IE5 system and also tested it in HFSLIP.

@edit (2011.05.17)

Superseded by KB2479628-v5.

Edited by tomasz86

Having installed the patch manually (as above, leaving out your Browseui.dll 6.0.2800.2008 and keeping the existing IE5 Browseui.dll) I can see that some icons are indeed broken. But apart from this, so far, nothing else seems to be.

I must revise what I said here. After repairing the icons with TweakUI, applying the "Shell Icon BPP"="32" registry tweak and rebooting, I see absolutely no problems with keeping the IE5 Browseui.dll. 32-bit icons seem to display correctly - nice alpha-channel shadow / transparency!

I made an IE5 version of KB2479628-v4. I just removed browseui.dll file from it. No other changes were made.

Great! I'll add this to the Windows 2000 SP4 Upates for HFSLIP page. Nevertheless, if anyone applies this update to an IE5-based system and experiences problems, please report them.

Thanks tomasz86 and WildBill. :)

Edit: added both the IE6-only and the IE5-compatible versions of 2479628 to the Windows 2000 Post-SP4 Updates for HFSLIP page.

Please note: the URL for the page has changed (new host Zxq.net)!

Edited by bristols

Concerning IE5 I found sth interesting in one of the original M$ hotfixes.

Windows2000-KB900725-x86-ENU.EXE

This hotfix contains two versions of the 'shlwapi.dll' file - one is a w2k version and the other one is from XP SP2. The XP SP2 version is copied into the 2000 system only if IE6 is installed.

These strings are responsible for it:

[IE501.System32.Files]
shlwapi.dll

[IE501.Cache.Files]
shlwapi.dll

[IE6SP1.System32.Files]
shlwapi.dll, xpsp2_binarydrop\shlwapi.dll

[IE6SP1.Cache.Files]
shlwapi.dll, xpsp2_binarydrop\shlwapi.dll

I think it is possible to make just a one single version of KB2479628-v4 by using such strings, ie. browseui.dll would be copied only when IE6 is installed. I'm going to have a look on it when I have some free time in near future :)

Edited by tomasz86

I made a w2k version of KB951072. The XP version works just as it is so I only had to change the structure of the package and edit the update.inf file. I used the SP2QFE branch.

August 2008 Cumulative Time Zone Update for Microsoft Windows Operating Systems [2008-08-19]

Windows2000-KB951072-v2-x86-ENU.exe

Superseded by KB2443685

Edited by tomasz86

The last time I tried it, the update refused to install since the signature didn't match.

I did a test today with KB2079403 and the XP's .CAT file was registered without any problems.

WildBill,

I hope you don't mind but I made a v2 version of KB981852 (MS10-047). The point was to add the "Mup.sys" file from the older M$ official KB979683. By doing so KB981852-v2 supersedes KB979683. I also added the original .CAT file from KB979683 so WU won't ask for KB979683 after having installed KB981852-v2.

Windows2000-KB981852-v2-x86-ENU.exe

Edited by tomasz86