PE Tool for creating patches

WildBill

I've been sitting on the update so I could test it thoroughly, but I just posted KB2479629. It combines KB2479628 and KB2393802, rendering them obsolete. It also adds some new stuff:

ntoskrnl/ntkrnlpa/ntkrnlmp/ntkrpamp.exe

The fix for the NTQueryInformationProcess bug that blackwingcat found.

setupapi.dll

Added SetupUninstallOEMInfW

user32.dll

Added true implementations for the following (for mouse and keyboard support only, not other USB devices)

DefRawInputProc

GetRawInputBuffer

GetRawInputData

GetRawInputDeviceInfoA

GetRawInputDeviceInfoW

GetRawInputDeviceList

GetRegisteredRawInputDevices

RegisterRawInputDevices

win32k.sys

Kernel-side implementation of the raw-input API that user32.dll invokes (where the real work is).

wtsapi32.dll

Added stubs for WTSRegisterSessionNotification and WTSUnRegisterSessionNotification

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a long while since I mentioned it, but I've quietly been working on a total rewrite of kernel32.dll in C. It took forever, but I've finally squashed enough of the bugs such that it's booting in a VM without exhibiting any errors. Once I synchronize it with the current kernel32.dll in my patches, I'll be releasing a new version of the rewrite with full source.

Thanks for your work Wildbill.

To run some modern browsers, some missing dependencies are required. Could you add them?

GetNumaHighestNodeNumber - Palemoon AtomXP 25x, Firefox 39x

GetLogicalProcessorInformation - Palemoon AtomXP SSE (for old processors) - http://www.romanstefko.com/pale-moon-sse/

CreateActCtxW - K-meleon 75x

WTSGetActiveConsoleSessionId, RtlCaptureContext - Vivaldi - https://vivaldi.com/

Edited by tierney

• 5 weeks later...

There seems to be a bug in KB2479629: When I attempt to install it on a "fresh" Windows 2000 system (Windows 2000 SP4+UR1, no unofficial patches installed), the installer will say that KB2479628 is not installed. From looking at update.inf, it seems like the old WIN32K.SYS version check from MS11-011/KB2393802 was left in the INF. Removing the check from the INF fixed the installer and everything is working.

Thanks again for the patches!

Thanks for your work Wildbill.

To run some modern browsers, some missing dependencies are required. Could you add them?

GetNumaHighestNodeNumber - Palemoon AtomXP 25x, Firefox 39x

GetLogicalProcessorInformation - Palemoon AtomXP SSE (for old processors) - http://www.romanstefko.com/pale-moon-sse/

CreateActCtxW - K-meleon 75x

WTSGetActiveConsoleSessionId, RtlCaptureContext - Vivaldi - https://vivaldi.com/

Funny that you mention those, since I'm testing an update here that adds the first two (GetNumaHighestNodeNumber and GetLogicalProcessorInformation). Unfortunately health issues intervened and I'm currently recovering from gall bladder surgery. When I get back on my feet so to speak I'll try to remember to look at the rest of those.

Edited by WildBill

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I'm almost fully recovered; I had a bout of anemia a couple weeks ago, and I've been cooking steaks every night to try to get my numbers back up. I'll be seeing the doc tomorrow, but I anticipate that I should be back to work on Monday.

I've started looking at the requested routines, and it looks like I only need to add CreateActCtxW (as the patch versions I have here already contain the other routines). That one will be tricky because I've found that putting in stub versions causes some applications to act wonky (because they expect them to actually work). I once took a stab ad making fully functional versions of the activation context API (which MS calls the Fusion API), but it's far from trivial. Still, taking another look never hurts.

• 1 month later...

I've got a couple new versions posted up on the master list:

Windows2000-KB2508429-v17-x86-ENU.exe

iphlpapi.dll

if_indextoname

Windows2000-KB2479629-v3-x86-ENU.exe

(There was no v2, that was internal and only added IsProcessInJob)

kernel32.dll

IsProcessInJob
GetNumaHighestNodeNumber
GetNumaProcessorNode
GetNumaNodeProcessorMask
GetNumaProcessorMap
GetNumaAvailableMemory
GetNumaAvailableMemoryNode
GetLogicalProcessorInformation

ntdll.dll

NtIsProcessInJob
ZwIsProcessInJob

ntoskrnl.exe/ntkrnlpa.exe/ntkrnlpa.exe/ntkrpamp.exe

Added support to NtQuerySystemInformation for new kernel32 API calls

Edited by WildBill

Unfortunately, I have been unable to download Windows2000-KB2479629-v3-x86-ENU.exe.

MediaFire says "The file you attempted to download was determined to be dangerous. For your protection, MediaFire does not enable distribution of dangerous files."

Unfortunately, I have been unable to download Windows2000-KB2479629-v3-x86-ENU.exe.

MediaFire says "The file you attempted to download was determined to be dangerous. For your protection, MediaFire does not enable distribution of dangerous files."

That's just bizarre. I scanned it on my end with Avast and it's clean, so I deleted it from MediaFire and I'm re-uploading it. I'll update the link once it completes.

Hmm. It still thinks it's infected, so I rebuilt the .exe and I'm reposting it. For some reason the new one is different from the original. I have no idea why.

Edited by WildBill

zip, rar or 7z it with a password, and MediaFire'll stop meddling. If I may suggest a general password for such cases, "False8positivE" is a good one. :)

BTW, how many false positives does it get from Virus Total?