PE Tool for creating patches

WildBill

I finally found your link to your SkyDrive account in the RyanVM.net Discussion Board: (Your SkyDrive account) When I click on the Windows blue box (296 files!) I see a bunch of numbered boxes (assuming files.) I still can't locate the UURollup v11 latest versions.

Another question about UURollup: I noticed that I can't update Adobe Reader 9.5 to v 10 (or later) as it "knows" that I am not running XP. Some other programs warn me that "this update may not work, but do you want to continue anyway?" and I click yes. No problems there. Is there no way to fool the Adobe Reader update program to allow me to update the Reader to a newer version?

Thanks.

GaryMX

OK, I know that there are so many different versions of Windows 2000 unofficial updates available that it may be confusing :lol: but too many things have been mixed there :w00t:

1. Update Rollup 2 - The old one (Update Rollup-KB891861-v2.EXE) is obsolete and shouldn't be used any more. It probably won't harm you if you've already installed it but there were several bugs in it. The only one version of Update Rollup 2 used now is available on my website (Windows2000-UpdateRollup2-x86-ENU.exe) with its extension for Windows 2000 Server (Windows2000-UpdateRollup2-SrvExt-v2-XXX.exe).
  2. SkyDrive - The SkyDrive archive was set up when Dropbox blocked access to the original one but it's not used at the moment since Dropbox is working again so you can safely just ignore it. The main archive which is constantly updated is the Download Archive located in Dropbox which link to you can find at my website here.
  3. UURollup - The stable version of UURollup (Windows2000-UURollup-v10d-x86-ENU.exe) is also available at my website here (Windows2000-UURollup-v10d-x86). The test versions (weekly & daily) are available in the Download Archive, ex. for UURollup-v11 you need to navigate to Windows2000 -> UnofficialUpdatesRollup and then choose between Daily / Stable / Weekly.
  4. Task Scheduler - Are you sure that it was UURollup to break it? :unsure: I use Task Scheduler on my computer all the time and haven't experienced any problems at all.
  5. Firefox - The instructions at mozillaZine is for UURollup-v10. In case of UURollup-v11 you only need to install the program using Application Compatibility Launcher and disable hardware acceleration in its settings. The other steps are no longer required.
  6. Acrobat Reader - The newest version works but in order to install it you have to modify the installer. It's an MSI installer so Application Compatibility Launcher doesn't work in this case. Feel free to try the one which I've just uploaded to the Download Archive (Windows2000 -> Programs).

@tomasz86 -- I accessed your link for Dropbox; that was easy! The file "Windows2000-UpdateRollup2-x86-ENU.exe" (46.56 MB) is exactly the same as the file that I have archived to my USB hard drive. I downloaded it on 12/19/2012. Did you make changes to this file since then? Everything is working well on my W2K computer, except for the Microsoft Backup. What changes are in v11 of UURollup? Is the function GetFirmWareEnvironmentVariableA included in v11's KERNEL32.DLL? That function is in Wild Bill's BWC kernel, from what I have read. Can I install v11 of UURollup right over v10d, without uninstalling it?

I read on one of the forums that you can run Adobe Reader v10 or v11 directly by copying the files from a computer that has it to the W2K computer. I am a bit skeptical of that, as I just installed v11 on my XP computer and it makes several changes to the Registry. I am going to try using your AcrobatReader_Windows2000.7z file from Dropbox.

Regarding Microsoft Backup: here is the sequence of events (I have two distinct hard drives on my W2K computer; drive C main boot, drive D alternate boot) I image copied Drive C to my USB hard drive using Drive Image (had to boot into XP using Hiren's Boot CD to do it) then, I "restored" the C drive image on top of D drive, which did not have a fully functional W2K install. I made drive D bootable, switched the boot selection to use D as default. I installed all of your updates including UURollup on drive D. I then tested the install extensively for a month (Feb 7 - March 7.) All of my regular functions necessary for my business worked, all CAD/CAM software, and especially, my Internet browser was now up to date!! By March 7th, I felt confident to go back to Drive C and install UURollup there (I had the original image saved, so I wasn't worried.) The reason for this was my Add/Remove programs list would not show, running on Drive D. Maybe a bug because they were installed on drive C, and my running operating system was on drive D!

I changed the boot order back to C drive, by default, then installed all of the updates in the order that they were to be installed, with UURollup v10d being the last one. I noticed the Add/Remove programs list was back; I had minor issues with some of the icons (fixed it); updated the browser. Everything else worked smoothly. But one issue carried over from D drive -- I could no longer run Microsoft Backup automatically (Task Scheduler.) If I ran it manually, I got the error in the log as I said in the previous post. Both D and C drives gave me this error, regardless of where I booted. It's puzzling how, as Administrator, I cannot have permission to "access portions of [folder name.] As I said before, I went through Microsoft forums, including MSDN, with no answers. I'll probably post this on a Microsoft forum if no one here has any suggestions as to how to fix this.

I have one more (wild) theory -- is it perhaps because I "restored" the drive image to Drive D while running Windows XP (instead of W2K,) is it possible that the NTFS file permissions changed because I was running XP? Just a wild theory ..

Thanks for your prompt replies!

GaryMX

Edited by GaryMX

@GaryMX GetFirmWareEnvironmentVariableA is included in UURollup-v11's kernel32.dll :yes: As for installing it over UURollup-v10d... Well, I'd say that it should work but I haven't really tested it. If you uninstalled UURollup-v10 smoothly and installed UURollup-v11 daily after that then it would be probably safer.

I don't think I can really help with the other problem as I've never experienced such issues myself :( I'd suggest creating a separate topic related to that particular problem with Task Scheduler and file permissions.

Edited by tomasz86

@tomasz86 -- OK, I'll go get the UURollup-v11 daily and install it. If that can help me to get Macrium Reflect Free running, then great! I won't have to worry about Microsoft Backup. I'll bet, however, that the Free edition doesn't allow for daily (or differential) backups. I have found that they want you to purchase the software to do that. Unfortunately, on my limited budget, that won't happen ... Thanks for the help. I will probably try the MSFN forum first (regarding the MS Backup file permissions issue) and see if anyone responds with help.

GaryMX

I uploaded a new weekly version of UURollup-v11 just yesterday so you can use it instead of the daily one :) Have you tried Cobian Backup? It's free for both personal and commercial use and allows several different types of backups (differential, incremental, etc.).

Edited by tomasz86

Tomasz (and all the developers),

I want to thank you for all the hard and difficult work you have done. I have been a longtime lurker and this is my first post. I have several older machines that I was ready to throw away and they came to life with windows 2k. The newer linux distributions bring these dinosaurs to their knees, although I run a win2k VM under linux mint. I cannot believe the difference in performance, it is fantastic! I am going to the older windows releases, because like most others I hate windows 8. Your progression and improvements to win2k put it on almost an equal footing with windows xp, and far less system resources used for getting the same jobs done.

Thanks!

Win2kreviver

Ahhh.

Finally.

The VM with my rewritten kernel32 comes up with no errors. I have maybe half a dozen more routines to add, and then the question is, how to test it in the community?

Ahhh.

Finally.

The VM with my rewritten kernel32 comes up with no errors. I have maybe half a dozen more routines to add, and then the question is, how to test it in the community?

I would just release it with a warning that it is a test version that should only be used in a virtual machine or a secondary system (i.e., not your only computer). The Windows 2000 community is pretty small so (hopefully) you won't get buried with vague bug reports.

In about 3 weeks I should have a spare system available for testing on actual hardware. Just need to get a few more hardware bits for my upcoming physical server relocation so I don't have to swap cables around to boot it.

• 1 month later...

That would help a lot. I'm having a problem hunting down a bug that I see in the VM when trying to open an app in WinDbg. I'm trying somethng simple (calc.exe). The bug is that the debugger starts calc at an invalid address.

On another issue, is anyone having problems uploading to Mediafire? I have a v17 of MS11-011 but I've been unable to upload it.. It keeps failing with a -503 permissions error. I deleted some old versions to free up some space in case it was a folder size problem, but that hasn't helped.

• 2 weeks later...

I will also have a spare system ready for testing at the end of the week.

Also, I noticed that this month's Security Updates ISO does not include a Windows 2000 IE6 update despite the fact that MS13-037 fixed 3 critical vulnerabilities (every other Critical IE patch had a Win2k update in that month's ISO (except for the January 2013 Out-of-band patch, which was in the February ISO.))

EDIT: The spare machine in question (a laptop) just had its cooling fan fail, so my tests may be delayed until I can get another machine ready or fix the fan. Turns out all that was wrong was that the fan was caked with about two years worth of dust...

Edited by MacLover

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally managed to get KB2393802 v17 uploaded. I've been trying to get this posted for months. It turns out that MediaFire is imposing a file size limit, and I had to upload it as a pair of ZIP files.

The update includes the netman.dll and secur32.dll fixes I posted about in another thread.

I'm still stumped as to the bug in my kernel32 rewrite. Maybe tomorrow I'll post it plus the full source.

Edited by WildBill