2 PC 1 User

Thauzar

Hello,

My friend just got a job from home and they will be giving her a new PC (that's actually older and less performant than her current personnal one).

So she wants to keep both computers one beside another, and switch from home to work in the most seamless way.

I never done this, but I know it's possible, to have switch boxes to switch signal for the screen or keyboard, but I dont want her to end up with 3-4-5 switches to switch the screen, sound, keyboard, mouse, printer, etc.

I'd like to hear your suggestions on the most efficient way to acchieve this. Do all-in-one solutions exists? Please put some links to related products if you know of any because I don't really know what I'm looking for so googling something I don't even know how to call is hard hehe.

In this situation, cost is a factor to consider too.

Thanks.

Be sure the KVM (which by the way stands for keyboard-video-mouse) has the plugs or cables you need, depending on the video output on both computers (VGA or DVI) and on your screen. I guess the keyboard and mouse will be USB on both machines as they've all been since 6 years.

Software solutions:

1) Turn on Remote Desktop on the crap machine and then you can remote desktop into it

2) If you will be having a sep. monitor for both tho', install Synergy - http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

It lets you transition between both machines just by moving the mouse across the screen from one to the other. It's a bit like having a multi-monitor setup, but spread across more than one machine. Totally badass :)

2) If you will be having a sep. monitor for both tho', install Synergy - http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

It lets you transition between both machines just by moving the mouse across the screen from one to the other. It's a bit like having a multi-monitor setup, but spread across more than one machine. Totally badass :)

Ow yes it's badass indeed, played with it some time ago, just haven't test it on more than 2 PCs.

I just like the USB KVM setup better as it only uses one screen, more space for other things on my desk.