Windows 7 Installation Error at Expanding Files

Hi, I am having an issue which stops my Windows 7 unattended installation during expanding files. At about 13% a box pops up with the following: 'Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570'. Here is the scenario; I am installing to a virtual machine using AutoUnattend.xml, the source image is an untouched x86 Ultimate Technet DVD. I have tried Virtual PC and VirtualBox. When using the source image as is, installation completes without issue; I even downloaded it again just in case. The AutoUnattend.xml has been reauthored and validated without errors, I will post it below. I have been using oscdimg.exe to create the .iso and I have been removing any stale or invalid images beforehand. I have searched google and forums, but come up with mostly answers about RAM; my RAM does check out ok.

I have tried many different minor tweaks in AutoUnattend.xml without luck.

Also, I am posting the oscdimg.exe syntax I have been using to make sure I am not messing something up in there.

oscdimg.exe –bD:\x86\boot\etfsboot.com –u2 –h -m -lWIN_EN_DVD D:\x86\ D:\x86wim\win7.iso

Apologies for the long post, I wanted to make sure I got everything in at once. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kevin

AutoUnattend.xml

Hello!

I see two errors inside your "Autounattend.xml":

<settings pass="specialize">

<RegisteredOrganization />

And inside:

<settings pass="oobeSystem">

As an example for the two pass:

<RegisteredOrganization>Se7en_UA</RegisteredOrganization>

Regards

Edited by myselfidem

How much memory have you allocated to your VM?

Hey Tripredacus, at first I allotted 1gig then 1280megs. Same result with both.

Thanks for catching those errors myselfidem, I am taking them out in a couple minutes and will try the install once more. I sure hope that's all it is, if so I owe you big. I'll let you know soon. Thanks again fellas.

Kevin

Hello!

I see two errors inside your "Autounattend.xml":

<settings pass="specialize">

And inside:

<settings pass="oobeSystem">

As an example for the two pass:

<RegisteredOrganization>Se7en_UA</RegisteredOrganization>

Regards

Just tried and it is still doing the same thing. This is driving me nuts. Should I try to rebuild the xml again?

Kevin

Hello kevin34!

I see inside your "Autounattend.xml" two "MetaData", you must need only one!

MetaData

MetaData specifies the unique data in a Windows® image (.wim) file. You can use the MetaData setting to select a specific data image in a .wim file that matches one or more values specified by the Metadata setting.

The value for MetaData must match the value of the Index, the Name, or the Description of the Windows image. For example, rather than specifying an index number, you can select a data image by using the Name metadata. As another example, you can choose to install the data image with the name "FabrikamDriverFiles" by specifying the Key and Value pair for this data image.

When you create a Windows image, you can specify unique metadata for that image. You can view the metadata for a .wim file, by using the imagex /info command. You can update the Name and Description metadata fields of your images, by using the imagex command. For more information, see the ImageX Technical Reference in the Windows® OEM Preinstallation Kit (Windows OPK) User's Guide (Opk.chm) or the Windows® Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK) User's Guide (Waik.chm).

Example:

<ImageInstall>
<OSImage>
<InstallFrom>
<MetaData wcm:action="add">
<Key>/IMAGE/NAME</Key>
<Value>Windows 7 ULTIMATE</Value>
</MetaData>
</InstallFrom>
</OSImage>
</ImageInstall>

You can check your file with WSIM to see if errors.

Have you delete unwanted Images inside Windows 7 Ultimate?

Edited by myselfidem

Hello kevin34!

I see inside your "Autounattend.xml" two "MetaData", you must need only one!

MetaData

MetaData specifies the unique data in a Windows® image (.wim) file. You can use the MetaData setting to select a specific data image in a .wim file that matches one or more values specified by the Metadata setting.

The value for MetaData must match the value of the Index, the Name, or the Description of the Windows image. For example, rather than specifying an index number, you can select a data image by using the Name metadata. As another example, you can choose to install the data image with the name "FabrikamDriverFiles" by specifying the Key and Value pair for this data image.

When you create a Windows image, you can specify unique metadata for that image. You can view the metadata for a .wim file, by using the imagex /info command. You can update the Name and Description metadata fields of your images, by using the imagex command. For more information, see the ImageX Technical Reference in the Windows® OEM Preinstallation Kit (Windows OPK) User's Guide (Opk.chm) or the Windows® Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK) User's Guide (Waik.chm).

You can check your file with WSIM to see if errors.

Have you delete unwanted Images inside Windows 7 Ultimate?

Hey man thanks for the reply again. I've tried with various MetaData settings and none at all with the same result. I haven't deleted the unwanted images inside the image as I wanted to leave it untouched. Does that matter when using AutoUnattend.xml? I believe I can use gimagex to delete the extra images if needed. Since it is a multi-image .wim would this make a difference in how I rebuilt the .iso with oscdimg.exe? I looked at the command line options on TechNet, but nothing seemed to be different. Also, there were no errors when validating the .xml. I'm going to try a completely different .xml right quick that I downloaded from here, its from maxxpsoft so I know its good. I'll let you know if it works. Thank you once again for your time.

Kevin

kevin34

If you want delete unwanted images it's beter to use DIM and just choose Windows 7 Ultimate Image!

And it's needed also to keep only one boot.wim file!

You need only one "MetaData"!

Yes it makes a diifference if the MetaData doesn't math the number of the Image!

Because if unwanted Images are deleted, the number isn't the same:

At first:

<Key>/IMAGE/INDEX</Key>
<Value>5</Value>

After delete unwanted Images and keep only Windows 7 Ultimate:

<Key>/IMAGE/INDEX</Key<
<Value>1</Value>

To be sure and safely add the correct value, if unwanted Images have been removed it's better to use the example I give you inside my last post!:

I use this command with oscdimg.exe, for example:

oscdimg.exe -u2 -m -o -lWin7 -b"C:\Win7\boot\etfsboot.com" "C:\Win7" "C:\Win7.iso"

Regards

Edited by myselfidem

kevin34

If you want delete unwanted images it's beter to use DIM and just choose Windows 7 Ultimate Image!

And it's needed also to keep only one boot.wim file!

You need only one "MetaData"!

Yes it makes a diifference if the MetaData doesn't math the number of the Image!

Because if unwanted Images are deleted, the number isn't the same:

At first:

<Key>/IMAGE/INDEX</Key>
<Value>5</Value>

After delete unwanted Images and keep only Windows 7 Ultimate:

<Key>/IMAGE/INDEX</Key<
<Value>1</Value>

To be sure and safely add the correct value, if unwanted Images have been removed it's better to use the example I give you inside my last post!:

I use this command with oscdimg.exe, for example:

oscdimg.exe -u2 -m -o -lWin7 -b"C:\Win7\boot\etfsboot.com" "C:\Win7" "C:\Win7.iso"

Regards

Hey man, I understand about the metadata not matching up if images are removed and the need for only one entrance of metadata information. I had already used imagex to delete the other images before I read your post, I'm guessing you meant DISM. I am trying an image now with only Ultimate and the .xml with only one metadata entry. I will edit this post as soon as I have a result. Thank you once again.

Edit: Removing the images didn't work, going to use your oscdimg.exe command line now.

Kevin

Edit: Once again it didn't work. I simply don't get this. I have tried numerous things and am pretty much at my wits end now. I've made unattended installs before with Win 7 with other images and it worked fine.

Edited by kevin34

Edit: Removing the images didn't work, going to use your oscdimg.exe command line now.

Kevin

Edit: Once again it didn't work. I simply don't get this. I have tried numerous things and am pretty much at my wits end now. I've made unattended installs before with Win 7 with other images and it worked fine.

How did you removed unwanted Images?

Kevin

How did you removed unwanted Images?

I used imagex

I 've used imageX successfuly, like this, with a batch file:

Adapt to your needs! Give the name you want for the batch file:

Image_Ultimate.cmd

@echo off
Title Backup Image Windows 7 ULTIMATE
echo.
REM Deleting Images WIM files unnecessary.
REM To adapt to your needs: example => Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bits: index:5
REM => Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bits: index:4
REM Only one Image will be saved: => Windows 7 Ultimate now with an new index:1
REM And for the Image boot.wim 2: => boot.wim 1
REM Rename to your needs the folder name (ex: Win7) and his location (C:\; D:\; H:\, etc.)
echo.
echo ==Exporting the Image Windows 7 Ultimate x86==
echo.
"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe" /export C:\Win7\sources\install.wim 5 C:\Win7\sources\installnew.wim "Windows 7 ULTIMATE"
echo.
echo ==Removal folders and files unnecessary==
echo.
DEL /S /F /Q "C:\Win7\sources\install.wim"
DEL /S /F /Q "C:\Win7\sources\install_Windows 7 STARTER.clg"
DEL /S /F /Q "C:\Win7\sources\install_Windows 7 HOMEBASIC.clg"
DEL /S /F /Q "C:\Win7\sources\install_Windows 7 HOMEPREMIUM.clg"
DEL /S /F /Q "C:\Win7\sources\install_Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL.clg"
RD /S /Q "C:\Win7\support\"
RD /S /Q "C:\Win7\upgrade\"
REN "C:\Win7\sources\installnew.wim" "install.wim"
echo.
echo ==Exporting boot.wim 2 file for Windows 7 Ultimate==
echo.
"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe" /export C:\Win7\sources\boot.wim 2 C:\Win7\sources\bootnew.wim
DEL /S /F /Q "C:\Win7\sources\boot.wim"
REN "C:\Win7\sources\bootnew.wim" "boot.wim"
echo.
echo ==Finished execution==
echo.
echo ==Index and rank are now: [install.wim 1] and [boot.wim 1]==
echo.
echo == WARNING: Do not use twice this batch file because ==
echo === the new WIM files will be irretrievably losts! ====
echo.
echo ==Press any key to exit==&pause>nul
exit

All works fine for me!

Regards

Edited by myselfidem

I 've used imageX successfuly, like this, with a batch file:

Adapt to your needs! Give the name you want for the batch file:

Image_Ultimate.cmd

@echo off
Title Backup Image Windows 7 ULTIMATE
echo.
REM Deleting Images WIM files unnecessary.
REM To adapt to your needs: example => Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bits: index:5
REM => Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bits: index:4
REM Only one Image will be saved: => Windows 7 Ultimate now with an new index:1
REM And for the Image boot.wim 2: => boot.wim 1
REM Rename to your needs the folder name (ex: Win7) and his location (C:\; D:\; H:\, etc.)
echo.
echo ==Exporting the Image Windows 7 Ultimate x86==
echo.
"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe" /export C:\Win7\sources\install.wim 5 C:\Win7\sources\installnew.wim "Windows 7 ULTIMATE"
echo.
echo ==Removal folders and files unnecessary==
echo.
DEL /S /F /Q "C:\Win7\sources\install.wim"
DEL /S /F /Q "C:\Win7\sources\install_Windows 7 STARTER.clg"
DEL /S /F /Q "C:\Win7\sources\install_Windows 7 HOMEBASIC.clg"
DEL /S /F /Q "C:\Win7\sources\install_Windows 7 HOMEPREMIUM.clg"
DEL /S /F /Q "C:\Win7\sources\install_Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL.clg"
RD /S /Q "C:\Win7\support\"
RD /S /Q "C:\Win7\upgrade\"
REN "C:\Win7\sources\installnew.wim" "install.wim"
echo.
echo ==Exporting boot.wim 2 file for Windows 7 Ultimate==
echo.
"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe" /export C:\Win7\sources\boot.wim 2 C:\Win7\sources\bootnew.wim
DEL /S /F /Q "C:\Win7\sources\boot.wim"
REN "C:\Win7\sources\bootnew.wim" "boot.wim"
echo.
echo ==Finished execution==
echo.
echo ==Index and rank are now: [install.wim 1] and [boot.wim 1]==
echo.
echo == WARNING: Do not use twice this batch file because ==
echo === the new WIM files will be irretrievably losts! ====
echo.
echo ==Press any key to exit==&pause>nul
exit

All works fine for me!

Regards

Hey, that batch file is using imagex. I've already removed all but Ultimate making it the only image. As for the boot.wim image why does modifying that have an affect? The thing that is driving me nuts is that it seems to work when I don't use the xml file, but the xml file seems to be clean.

Oh sorry!

I don't remember that I've used imageX!

I think it's also needed to do that for the "boot.wim" file!

It's for matching the new "install.wim 1" file with the new "boot.wim 1" file.

Because at first "install.wim 5" match with "boot.wim 2"! But if I have now the new "install.wim 1"; I think it's also needed to match the new "boot.wim 1" file!

I've used many times my batch file successfuly with my Windows 7 ULTIMATE!

Edited by myselfidem

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy, just wanted to let you know I got this working. The problem was the virtual machine. I installed Windows 7 on another computer I wasn't using at the time and ran the whole process again creating the unattended and using the original oscdimg.exe command to create the final image and everything worked fine. As a short summary, I start with an untouched TechNet ISO, extract to hard drive, create AutoUnattend.xml and copy to root, add any tweak files and finally create the ISO with oscdimg.exe. I didn't use imagex to manipulate the original image in any way. I will be integrating updates and drivers using Mr. Jinje's DISM Tool later and changing the AutoUnattend.xml to amd64. If anyone runs into this issue in the future and has any questions feel free to message me. Thank you for the help.

Kevin