Install 2000 from USB CD to Sata HD

Brabant

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149 = "viapdsk", "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller"

Yes that line came free with storage.ini. It doesn't do anything.

(I do have PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_0571 (ata controller) in the registry. But that has installed correctly from IDE cd, without adding any files or ini entries.)

Other way is to use your source without any 3rd party mass storage drivers integrated and put BTS mass storage drivers, eventually with the modified NTDETECT.COM. I'd try that first.

I read your post and thought that trying Mass Storage would be best. Install fails with a corrupted ahcix86.sys. There seems to be one in AM2 and one in AM3. The one that ends up in i386 can be copied and expanded manually.

Edited by Brabant

Oh look! What a coincidence, I had noticed the line: ms_1_exc_disableIfOS="w2k" for PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_0571. So it wasn't a surprise that should install (and has installed) without extra files.

I don't like to add 10000 files just for the few that are (possibly) useful. So I'm gonna try editing the ini in the Mass Storage 7z. Maybe delete unused directories as well.

If that doesn't work I'll have to add ms_1_exc_disableIfOS="w2k" lines.

Edit: I just found the nightlies (since they're mentioned in one thread you linked to)

http://driverpacks.sytes.net/driverpacks/Nightlies/NT5/

Edited by Brabant

Removing ms_1_exc_disableIfOS="w2k" from [V] gives a corrupted viamraid.sys. I guess I need to remove stuff from the HardwareIdsDatabase and/or other sections. Or maybe make the mass storage zip only contain the Via dirs. Do you have any suggestions?