Install 2000 from USB CD to Sata HD

Brabant

I'm using HFSLIP with an SP4 integrated 2000 as source. The VIA driver for Sata disks is integrated using Oleg IIs storage.ini method.

The result can install 2000 from an IDE cd-rom to an Sata drive and

it can install 2000 from an USB cd-rom to a Pata (IDE) drive.

But what I was aiming for is from USB cd-rom to Sata HD. And that gives the 0x7B error after loading all the storage drivers. I thought it could not find the HD but I read 0x7B is about the source, not the target disk.

I don't know how to fix this so if anyone has ideas....

The result can install 2000 from an IDE cd-rom to an Sata drive and

This is "normal".

it can install 2000 from an USB cd-rom to a Pata (IDE) drive.

This should also be "normal".

But what I was aiming for is from USB cd-rom to Sata HD. And that gives the 0x7B error after loading all the storage drivers. I thought it could not find the HD but I read 0x7B is about the source, not the target disk.

I don't know how to fix this so if anyone has ideas....

Unless I am mistaken, a standard 2K (or XP/2003) install from CD does:

1. boots the CD (through BIOS)
  2. runs text mode part of the setup (which is done using still the BIOS "handles") which copies (or should copy) the relevant files to the HD.
  3. reboots the PC
  4. boots this time from the internal HD (the C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT folder)
  5. runs GUI mode part of the setup (which NEEDS the actual SATA drivers in the case of a SATA disk, least will produce the 0x0000007b)

The only explanation at first sight is that somehow the USB drivers conflict with the SATA ones? :unsure:

Some questions:

Which machine is it? (desktop/laptop)

How much RAM?

How big is the actual .iso?

Have you not a setting in BIOS to set the SATA to "IDE compatibility mode" or something like that?

jaclaz

It's a desktop with an Asus A8V motherboard with 2GB of RAM. It has no "IDE compatibility mode".

The iso is 217 MB (I have included post-SP4 hotfixes in HFSLIPs HF directory).

I use two Sata drives as separate drives. No RAID has been configured.

I'm happy the other installs are "normal" ;) I just mentioned them as "this still works, has not been f*cked up".

How many drivers did you integrate?

2000 has much lower limit of the number of drivers loaded during Text mode than XP, it's very likely some of the needed drivers (USB or SATA) are not loaded and initialised, hence the 0x7B.

I'd try BTS mass storage drivers if that's the case.

I must say I do use an UNmodified storage.ini which is 48KB, the VIA stuff is near the end. Should I take the rest out?

But for actual files only the viamraid.sys, .cat and .inf are in the HFEXPERT/STORAGE dir. So no sound, video or any other drivers are there.

Can you add the following line and try again?

[sCSI.Load]

viamraid = viamraid.SYS,4

viapdsk = viapdsk.sys,4

Just to confirm- BSOD 0x7B is during text mode and when installing from USB CD-ROM to SATA disk the IDE CD-ROM is still attached, right?

Yes, on this computer an IDE CD-ROM is also attached. And also the last thing I see is in text mode after loading drivers it says 'Setup is starting Windows 2000'. The screen goes black for a second and then BSOD.

Edit: Just disconnecting the IDE CD drive does not do it.

I'll add viapdsk (that's for IDE and was in early Hyperions and older, right?) and try that now.

Edited by Brabant

It's a bit more complicated than that. viapdsk must also appear in [sourcedisksfiles]. It's like the 'single-file driver that you want to integrate and have installed at boot time' near the bottom of that page.

I already have done that method for viamraid.sys (meaning I had it both uncompressed in i386 and also compressed for storage.ini method) that did not work.

The point is that you have

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149 = "viapdsk", "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller"

but if a hardware matching PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149 is found that driver won't be loaded because it's not in SCSI.LOAD.

[sourcedisksfiles] is for copying those files to the target and absence of that file would cause problems during GUI mode, which we are not interested in yet.

Either remove

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149 = "viapdsk", "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller"

so generic driver if possible is used for the ATA controller, or add it to scsi.load and eventually [sourcedisksfiles] if you want to test the complete setup.

Other way is to use your source without any 3rd party mass storage drivers integrated and put BTS mass storage drivers, eventually with the modified NTDETECT.COM. I'd try that first.