Block Windows Internet Explorer 8 / Prevent Windows Internet Explorer

Ascii2

For computers running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 not member to a domain, how can Windows Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Internet Explorer 8 be prevented from installing.

Additionally (not required, but desirable), for computers that already have Windows Internet Explorer 7 or Windows Internet Explorer 8, I want the browser to be disabled from being functional.

All I have been able to find regarding this issue are instructions on how to disable Windows Internet Explorer 7 or Windows Internet Explorer 8 from downloading via Windows Update or Microsoft Update (which is not what I am looking for).

Edited by Ascii2

• 2 weeks later...

• 9 months later...

Thank you for your response MDGx.

The Automatic Delivery Toolkits to disable Windows Internet Explorer do not seem to prevent installation of Windows Internet Explorer.

I am looking for a way to block Windows Internet Explorer 7 or Windows Internet Explorer 8 from being installed (including by manually running their installers), not just disabling their automatic delivery.

If a user is an administrator on a system, they can indeed install Internet Explorer (or anything else for that matter) regardless of the blocker toolkit. That toolkit is only to block delivery from Windows Update or WSUS. You could use something like software restriction policies in a domain, but as you mentioned these machines are not domain joined. In that case, your recourse is to a) not make users administrators by default or B) provide some sort of detriment to doing so (political, rather than technical, solution). Those are your options in a non-domain-joined environment.