Unattended XP using PXE

I have a DVD and USB stick that I can use for unattended installs of XP plus bespoke apps and drivers that both work well.

However I would like the option of installing XP via the network by PXE booting the PCs.

Is there a simple way of using my existing DVD or USB stick installations and 'converting' them to work via PXE?

If someone can point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated :-)

Cheers

Phil

If you aren't interested in making images for your XP installs, then RIS is the place to start looking. I have no experience in it, but we have a forum for it you can look at:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/127-unattended-ris-installation/

Hi there

We do not have any Windows servers. At the sites where I want to use PXE booting we have Novell OES Linux servers that each have a VM running XP on it. I was anticipating using the VM to store the XP install files and run the FTP software.

Cheers

Phil

We do not have any Windows servers. At the sites where I want to use PXE booting we have Novell OES Linux servers that each have a VM running XP on it. I was anticipating using the VM to store the XP install files and run the FTP software.

You don't actually *need* a Windows Server.

You can use any windows with TFTP32 and a BINL server or Linux (and a BINL server) as "server".

Start reading here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=2322

AND given links in it, particularly:

http://oss.netfarm.it/guides/

Also there is a very similar thread here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=12479

where you may find additional info :unsure:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi Jaclaz

I know I do not NEED a Windows server but I thought I needed one if I wanted to use RIS as Tripredacus suggested?

All being well I am hoping to use my Windows XP VM running TFTP32 as the 'server' (and my existing Unattended installs).

But knowing what I want is one thing and actually doing it is another!

Cheers for the links,

Phil

I have copied the files from my unattended windows xp dvd to my tftp server along with the winpe files.

I boot up the client PC, it gets an IP and then boots into PE.

startnet.cmd runs and maps a drive to the tftp server before running DISKPART and formatting the C: drive etc.

Then I start the Windows install using winnt32.exe and pointing it to my winnt.sif file from my unattended install.

It then reboots and completes the install. However, it doesn't complete the runonceex part of the unattended install. So when it finishes and goes into Windows it is a basic install, all my additions and amendments from my unattended install are missing (it hasnt even copied the driver files I added etc)

Can anyone offer any help?

Cheers

Phil

I have copied the files from my unattended windows xp dvd to my tftp server along with the winpe files.

I boot up the client PC, it gets an IP and then boots into PE.

I thought you were doing a PXE install (RIS).

What you are doing is PXE booting a PE then start a "normal" winnt32.exe install from the PE (which is another thing).

Then I start the Windows install using winnt32.exe and pointing it to my winnt.sif file from my unattended install.

Which EXACT winnt32.exe command line are you using?

Which EXACT kind/type of PE is it?

jaclaz

I just want a way to boot from the network and install my unattended Windows XP from there, I don't mind how it is done. Booting from PE and then running winnt32.exe is just one way I have been exploring.

It is WinPE for Vista.

Via startnet.cmd I run diskpart as follows:

Select disk 0

clean

Create partition primary

Active

Assign letter = C

I run winnt32.exe as follows:

winnt32.exe /syspart:c: /tempdrive:c: /unattend:winnt.sif /makelocalsource

I have played round with the parameters for winnt32.exe with no success.

I have alao tried using a reg entry fixbootxp.reg and running bootsect /nt52 c: as suggested elsewhere (as I am installing XP from Vista PE) not having any luck (and may be barking up the wrong tree)

Would getting hold of Windows XP OPK make it easier and if so can anyone enrol with MS OEM or do I have to have an organization?

Cheers

Phil

I managed to fix my problem.

I put the $OEM$ folder inside the i386 folder and it now works.

So I am booting from the network via PXE into PE and the unattended XP install runs automatically so the user only has to press F12 to kick start the PXE boot.

I like it when a plan comes together.

Cheers

Phil