Internet Explorer 8 installation problem

Cosmin3

Hi.

Sorry for my english...

For some time I use nlite to modify Windows XP installation.

One of the problems is that I can no longer install Internet Explorer 8. At some point it shows error and wants restart. After restart I see that troubleshooting link on desktop, but following those instructions doesn't help.

Because I think is got something to do with modifications that I made with nlite first I asked in nlite section:

But I was advised to ask here.

IE8 setup shows this:

capturedea.png

I attached the ie8_main.log file.

What could be the problem..?

Thank you in advance for any reply.

Best regards, Cosmin

ie8_main.zip

This isn't an error. The log file shows that the installation finished successfully but requires a restart to complete. Since your OS is modified with nLite, we may have no idea how to troubleshoot this on your system. My installs of IE8 on XP are done like this:

IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart /update-no

This does not open the prompt to restart. I do not know if you can specify command line parameters with nLite. Also your binary name might be different.

This isn't an error. The log file shows that the installation finished successfully but requires a restart to complete. Since your OS is modified with nLite, we may have no idea how to troubleshoot this on your system. My installs of IE8 on XP are done like this:

IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart /update-no

This does not open the prompt to restart. I do not know if you can specify command line parameters with nLite. Also your binary name might be different.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, starting IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe with these parameters doesn't solve the problem. In that OS IE is still version 6.

Hi, you can use command prompt for that and run these commands.....

Start /Wait IE8-WindowsXP-x86-PTB.exe /quiet /norestart /update-no

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\8.0\WU" /V "ForcePostUpdateInstall" /T "REG_DWORD" /D "1" /F

Start /Wait IE8-WindowsXP-KB971961-x86-PTB.exe -q -z -er /Nobackup

Start /Wait IE8-WindowsXP-KB975364-x86-PTB.exe -q -z -er /Nobackup

Start /Wait IE8-WindowsXP-KB976325-x86-PTB.exe -q -z -er /Nobackup

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\8.0\WU" /F

But do all on yourself because you might have to install your os again if this one not been success...

Edited by pankaj

Thank you.

But this is not working too.

The IE is still version 6 if I start it without restarting Windows.

And if I try to restart Windows it says this and the desktop isn't loaded:

68011278.png

In nlite section -X- gave me an addon made for this problem. But it's for nlite not for normal install.

Anyway I'm not 100% convinced that if I found a normal installer (for the files from this addon) it will solve the problem with IE8.

Have you checked your drive off-line to see if that file is indeed missing?

Yes and it's missing.

But the point is that the main installer IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe is running fine when Windows XP has not been modified with nlite (only SP3 + latest updates included). The problem is not from those IE8 updates but from this installer.

The setup log doesn't show an error but I see a significant time difference. When it's a problem the progressbar is filling only about 10% and the time in which finishes it's a lot shorter. It's like it's deciding not to copy all the files.

I know this is not nlite section but I will attach the Last session.ini

Maybe someone knows which modification(s) "triggers" this problem.

Later edit:

Does installing IE7 give you the same problems?

I did not tried because I wanted to install a better version...

Last Session.ini

Edited by Cosmin3

In VirtualBox yes, Windows is not activated.

But I also tried installing IE8 in the real computer - with the same OS but activated and it didn't work either.

Like I said, I installed it fine only when I had original/unmodified OS...