Making an Nlite boot cd

peterjones2

Hi, I would like if some-one could give a sort of blow by blow explanation of making a cd to reload win xp without having to use floppies. I have a Toshiba Satellite U300 and I need to reload win xp as I have some problem with the registry. I went to the Toshiba website and downloaded the xp files/drivers to a usb drive, and then went to Intel to look for the drivers for the chipset, ICH8M ultra ATA storage 2850, and Intel 82801 HEM/HBM SATA AHCI controller. There isn't an actual driver download, only what they term the matrix manager which is a windows program. I think that I have the drivers at this stage but am not sure. Anyway I then followed a method of trying to make a "boot" cd as explained on the DigitGeek website. The cd's that I have cloned, copied, burned and whatever else I could think of, do not allow the laptop to boot from the cd. No problem with the windows xp cd - boots fine, but making an iso disk witht he drivers to "slipstream" just does not work as described in Digitgeeks website. Can anyone give me a pretty basic stage by stage description on how to do this operation ?

Sorry to all for the length, but there are just too many short explanations which obviously miss out vital small parts of the job, where to exactly copy the driver files to on the cd during nlite setup, how to make the cd bootable when the laptop starts up. My bios does not let me change the SATA options so I am stuck with either a floppy drive and a full win xp installation, or trying this "Slipstream" method.

Many, many thanks in advance.

peterjones2

I've looked at their guide and it's pretty accurate though it skips some details. The CDs should be bootable if you used nLite to make your ISO or chose direct burn.

Can you attach your last session.ini? It should be located in the root of the CD you made. I want to make sure you selected textmode drivers instead of PNP.