Depolying Windows 7 to BootCamp using MDT 2010

Hello,

I'm running MDT 2010 and Windows Deployment Services on a Windows Server 2008 SP2 x64.

I would like to deploy Windows onto a BootCamp partition using MDT2010 and WDS. Since Macs won’t PXE boot from a Windows server, the way to get the Mac to boot into the WinPE environment is by burning the WinPE ISO to CD and booting the Mac from the bootable ISO.

I followed the following guide to build the correct Task Sequence in MDT 2010:

http://blog.physh.net/2010/02/deploy-windows-on-macs-using-mdt-2010.html

I added BootCamp drivers to the distribution share and created a WinPE ISO using the above instructions. I can boot into WinPE and I have network access, however the LiteTouch process ends at the disk format stage with the following error:

ZTI ERROR - Non-zero return code by LiteTouch, rc = -2147467259  0x80004005]LOG]!><time="02:16:14.000+000" date="09-13-2010" component="LiteTouch" context="" type="3" thread="" file="LiteTouch">

I’ve made some research and quickly found that this is a very generic error and basically doesn’t say much. I was able to grab the LiteTouch log files to take a closer look, but there’s no further information available.

In WinPE, I manually ran the commands described in the DiskPartMac script and they work fine.

Does anyone know why the process is failing?

Thanks in advance.

Not really sure with that error code - You might want to modify the task sequence to run your own DiskPart script, because the MDT ones generally have issues with virtual machines (boot camp might not be an actual virtual machine, but there's still a virtualization layer).

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I didn't get an email notification even though Im subscribed to this thread…

Anyhoo, the article I linked above to certainly instructs to create a custom partitioning script and thats just what Ive done.

After some tests, I found that the deployment works if the partition is pre-formatted to NTFS. So the problem is definitely in the partitioning script, I just dont know what it is…

Heres the script Im running:

SELECT disk 0
SELECT partition 3
FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="Bootcamp" QUICK
EXIT

Edited by Gantlett