Ext HDD's greater than 137GB under Win ME

piikea

OK. To return to windowed mode you must hit <Alt> + <Enter>... But don't do that from inside RPM... unless you are sure you're in HDD3.

What happened to your HDD1 is that you changed the boot code in the MBR for RPM's boot loader.

It's easy to correct, but I think you should get a good night's sleep, before proceeding. Let's call it a day, for now.

2) Highlight partition 2, go to the ending head select it and type-in 255, in place of the current 254, then accept, save select format latter, and see whether it becomes white.

:w00t:

For the record (and FYI), on a nx255x63 geometry:

• Last addressable Cylinder is n-1
  • Last addressable head is 254
  • Last addressable sector is 63

Cylinders are numbered strating from 0.

Heads are numbered starting from 0.

Sectors are numbered starting from 1.

The general idea was:

1. do "logical" tests
  2. report
  3. loop to #1 until a suitable solution is found

NOT "change a value with a random (BTW wrong) one and see what happens. :realmad:

The only thing we need now is a method, and being calm. :)

There may be a few tens reasons why RPM makes the partition "red", incuding rightful and wrongful ones.

This:

Well dencorso mentioned 0 - 485519 in post #80. Besides it shows up as that when you do use 485520. Perhaps I should be putting a "1" in the "starting cylinder" box? Also didn't add "c" to the numbers - maybe that made some difference.

I put 485520 & I'm pretty sure it displayed as 0 - 485519.

is perfectly normal.

CHS sectors are numbered starting from 1.

LBA sectors are numbered from 0 (actually the meaning of a LBA values is "Sectors before" or "offset of the sector")

Now the issue at hand is the following:

first partition (notwithstanding the fact that RPM sees it in RED) seems OK:

• it starts at a correct CHS address (0/1/1)
  • it ends at a correct CHS address (30,463/254/63)
  • it's CHS values are correspondent to LBA ones:
    (0+1)x(1+1)x63=126-63=63
    (30,463+1)x(254+1)x63=489,404,160-63=489,404,097

following partitions don't.

We have now an added info.

The 1938020 end cylinder that was "needed".

However let's try again.

The original data you should have input was:

So, now you have to use the "c" instead of the "m" and:

1. Primary FAT32 LBA 485520c
  2. Logical FAT32 LBA 485520c
  3. Logical FAT32 LBA 481440c
  4. Logical FAT32 LBA 481440c

Then, I asked you to input the SAME values, only using ALL primaries.

What seemingly you did input is:

1. Primary FAT32 LBA 485520c
  2. Logical FAT32 LBA 485521c
  3. Logical FAT32 LBA 485521c

or at least this is what partition logic wrote to the partition table. :unsure:

Please find attached a small Excel spreadsheet.

It consists of TWO sheets "Manual" and "Automatic".

BOTH sheets are protected.

In sheet "Manual" you can ONLY change:

1. cells I10÷I13 i.e. the End Cylinder in mx255x63 (RPM)
  2. cells I24÷I27 i.e. the End Cylinder in nx16x63 (Partition Logic)

The two sets of partition entries are independent, to allow playing a bit with values.

In sheet "Automatic" you can ONLY change:

1. cells U24÷U27 i.e. the "c" value you can input in Partition Logic

this automatically calculates the data how it should be written by Partition Logic and how it should be seen in RPM.

If ANY of the cells in column J (end head) becomes RED it means that the partition dos not end on cylinder boundary. (NOT "kosher").

Now, try some values in U24÷U27, remember that ANY value should be a multiple of 4080!

Start with small values, creating 4 Primary partitions like:

1. 4080
  2. 4080
  3. 4080
  4. 4080

Input these values in partition logic, then check how RPM reads them.

Report.

jaclaz

CURRENT_PL_RPM.zip

Edited by jaclaz

BOTH sheets are protected.

I can't open w/o password.

Unsure what I am to do with the "Manual" one.

PL should be so easy just to be able to input what size each partition should be by putting in:

1. 4080

2. 4080

3. 4080

4. 4080

Instead of having to put 0 - 4080, then have to add 4080 to 4080 to get the next ending point (8160) & then 8060 + 4080 = "x" # & so on (especially since the ending points I'm supposed to arrive at NEVER are accepted by it).

So far I've tried using the numbers provided & the only reason I wouldn't have would be if PL said: "invalid ending cylinder" so I would try the next most "logical" alternative(s).

Currently the partitions are:

233GB

233GB

233Gb

231GB

Edited by piikea

I can't open w/o password.

No.

There is no opening password, the protection is only about locked cells.

Unsure what I am to do with the "Manual" one.

You have to make up your mind, you can EITHER:

1. open the spreadsheet
    OR:
  2. NOT open it

if the latter you can't do ANYTHING with the "Manual" sheet in it (nor with the "Automatic" one, for that matters since you cannot open the spreadsheet at all).

If you can open it, please read again my previous post, I guess I explained the idea:

1. the "manual" is ONLY to "play"
  2. the "automatic" is to simulate what happens with varying partition sizes (number of Cylinders in a nx16x63 geometry) as seen BOTH by Partition Logic and RPM.

You have only a very limited number of cells in which you can change the values, it shouldn't be difficult to get the hang of it.

Simplified version:

1. FORGET about the "Manual" sheet
  2. Open the "Automatic one"
  3. Input in cells U24÷U27 the value 4080.
  4. The "main part" of the sheet should represent the partitioning screen as "seen" in Partition Logic (bottom, with nx16x63 geometry) and in RPM (top, with mx255x63)

PL should be so easy just to be able to input what size each partition should be by putting in:

1. 4080

2. 4080

3. 4080

4. 4080

Instead of having to put 0 - 4080, then have to add 4080 to 4080 to get the next ending point (8160) & then 8060 + 4080 = "x" # & so on (especially since the ending points I'm supposed to arrive at NEVER are accepted by it).

Please READ the text in Partition Logic:

Enter Ending Cylinder (0-x)

or size in megabytes with 'm' (1m-zm)

or size in cylinders with 'c' (1c-yc)

(where y=x+1)

Can you please put in the:

4080c,4080c,4080c,4080c

and post the result in RPM? (both CHS and LBA)

Then, try ;):

and post the result in RPM? (both CHS and LBA)

jaclaz

I may have omitted making 1 partition "active". Posting results for 4080c sequence since if I input #'s in wrong then it wouldn't help to input the 2nd sequence of #'s wrong too.

Now here I'm not sure the correct way to input the numbers. I've tried putting 0c-4080c in 1st line, then 4080c-8160c in the 2nd & it "worked" or "took" anyway. And previously I've put 0c in 1st line then the end point, for example 4080c in the 2nd line. That way it "took" too but either or neither may be correct.

For 2nd partition it gets more unclear. Put 4080c in 1st line & 8160c (4080c + 4080c)in 2nd line?? How else to "put in the: 4080,4080,4080,4080"? I've tried 10 different ways & still not sure which is correct. Apparently this should be "obvious" but I am far less clear on it than I was the 1st time I attempted this.

Anyway, this is whats shown in PL after what I did today:

Getting screens IN PL is NOT an easy feat but I found a way in order to try & clarify WHAT I AM SEEING when inputting the numbers.

And RPM 2.43 (CHS & LBA) -

Edited by piikea

Something here is fishy... :unsure:

I can open and use jaclaz's worksheet all right, using my (razor-edge tech) excel 97 sr2... dubbio.gif

Try redownloading it.

Re-downloaded but same "error" message & unable to open it. Idk either. I'm not superstitious but I still think the ext HDD is cursed. It was a 30 step process just to create my previous post! Deleted photos from quota, resizing screens (that were same size as all the others I've posted), inserted in right places - they then when displayed most showed at bottom of post(??), getting blue screen Windows errors w/ other USB devices AND often when trying to see contents of various drives, etc.

Well...

1) It's a no go. Those RPM screenshots are so small that they're just unreadable. We need them bigger. Best soluton: open a free photobucket account and post links to the pics uploaded there. Just take care to set the album open to everybody for viewing.

2) Did you redetect all your other USB devices, as I said you'd have to? I suppose you didn't, and hence the BSODs.

Something here is fishy... :unsure:

I can open and use jaclaz's worksheet all right, using my (razor-edge tech) excel 97 sr2... dubbio.gif

Try redownloading it.

The problem is with Microsoft Works, it can't open the protected sheets within the workbook. Excel Viewer 97 will open it alright. :)

Well...

1) It's a no go. Those RPM screenshots are so small that they're just unreadable. We need them bigger. Best solution: open a free photobucket account and post links to the pics uploaded there. Just take care to set the album open to everybody for viewing.

See 2 RPM screens in post #98 - for whatever reason they uploaded 2nd time around w/ new screenshots (???).

2) Did you redetect all your other USB devices, as I said you'd have to? I suppose you didn't, and hence the BSODs.

Yeah I didn't do that procedure yet I can barely keep up w/ the ext HDD stuff BUT I'm getting those blue screen errors even when I connect the ext HDD we're working with (as well as sometimes when clicking on other internal drives/partitions). It's erratic - some other USB devices connect & work fine, others not. All seem to work after rebooting tho' that doesn't resolve the initial cause.

Edited by piikea

It seems you're getting BSODs for some unrelated cause. The other time you've got it with RPM. Was that an isolated case, and you're getting them almost always just with USB devices? Always on inserting? Or on removing? Or on both? Did you have them before adding USB20DRV?

And... can you give me that screenshot with partition 2 highlighted, instead of the MBR? Please?

It seems you're getting BSODs for some unrelated cause. The other time you've got it with RPM. Was that an isolated case, and you're getting them almost always just with USB devices? Always on inserting? Or on removing? Or on both? Did you have them before adding USB20DRV?

Never had them w/ any USB devices (or when accessing the different internal drives) before. Usually it has been plugging in or turning on (if they are plugged in). Its sporadic - at least once w/ the 1TB ext HDD, once w/ card reader, once w/ my other ext HDD & twice accessing internal drive partitions. (The middle two I've only plugged in once each since this began.)

And... can you give me that screenshot with partition 2 highlighted, instead of the MBR? Please?

Oh yes. Each step fights me so, I tend to forget something. Sorry. Here that is -

Edited by piikea