Does any registry program exist that can...

Marztabator

The sort of characters that a regfile can't import?

I learnt about this quite recently when inquiring about how to adjust some tag values remotely for dBpoweramp...

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=21865

Turns out it inserts an "\r" thingy between the values that RegEdit can't capture. Spoon suggests I find a program that can add that sort of character into the registry and understand it correctly, but he doesn't know of any such tools himself.

Do any exist or will I ultimately be forced to use dMC's own config program?

Over at System Internals there was a utility/demo called RegHide. It seems to be gone now (broken link) or at least the website searching is not working right. This demo covered the methods of what you are asking. Maybe the Wayback Machine can find it or you can ask on the forum. Note that the forum searching there sucks also.

The nearest living relative at System Internals is RegDelNull. It is used to remove the bad characters from the registry placed there by RegHide or other methods.

Writing a carriage return into the registry is pretty easy -- at least inside a REG_SZ value. It's like 3 lines of vbscript... No need to use any fancy API to do it (regedit won't show it but it will definitely be in there). However, if it's stored inside a REG_MULTI_SZ value than that's another story (forget about vbscript then but C++ will do the job just fine using the usual RegSetValueEx function)

It seems to be gone now (broken link) or at least the website searching is not working right.

Broken google? :unsure:

Nah, it was the Microsoft Bing powered search at the System Internals section of Microsoft.com. No patience to debug it now, but it just didn't do anything (on Opera 9, scripting enabled). Guess it is either Flash or Silverlight problem.

But I figured Google would work fine from outside MS though. There is some kind of irony there! :lol:

Writing a carriage return into the registry is pretty easy -- at least inside a REG_SZ value. It's like 3 lines of vbscript... No need to use any fancy API to do it (regedit won't show it but it will definitely be in there). However, if it's stored inside a REG_MULTI_SZ value than that's another story (forget about vbscript then but C++ will do the job just fine using the usual RegSetValueEx function)

Oooooh, you happen to know where I can find such a script, or if one can be reproduced on here? I believe the value I wish to change is a REG_SZ, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.