MBSA for Win2000, wsusscn2.cab not compatible :(

Odin

Hello, I am trying to use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer Windows 2000 Server, to check a (new) installation has all the latest updates.

However it has been a few months/years since I last did this and while I have installed all the updates I think I need from my repository, I'd like to be able to cross-check I have as many patches as possible applied.

I installed MBSA 2.1 for it to complain "Computer has an older version of the client and security database demands a newer version. Current version is and minimum required version is 5.8.0.2678". I know MBSA 2.1 used to work with Win2000.

So I isntalled MBSA 2.2. To get the same error.

Obviously Win2000 is well past support from microsoft, so is the problem that microsoft have withdrawn the data or not kept things compatible ?

Is it possible someone has a wsusscn2.cab file which is compatible with MBSA which is in effect the most up-to-date and working version of wsusscn2.cab for the Windows2000 series ? I believe I can manually install this file and have MBSA work with the offline copy (i.e. don't connect to microsoft.com to check for an updated cab and overwrite it).

Alternatively what other tooling is available that understands the operating system patching/update system which can do a similar job ?

Thanks

Edited by Odin

I installed MBSA 2.1 for it to complain "Computer has an older version of the client and security database demands a newer version. Current version is and minimum required version is 5.8.0.2678". I know MBSA 2.1 used to work with Win2000.

This may not be clear from the error message, but what it sounds like it is complaining about is *NOT* MBSA, but Windows Update Agent. You will need to update this. You can either do that by going to the Windows Update website (it should not load without prompting you to upgrade this), or by downloading the offline update. The current version of the piece it sounds like its complaining about is 7.4.7600.226.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

Hope this gets it.