problem restarting

Cosmin3

I tried 3 times with these:

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v StartButtonBalloonTip /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f

"REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v StartButtonBalloonTip /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f"

Command1="REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v StartButtonBalloonTip /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f"

Every time I get the message "...error at line 70 in I386\winnt.sif..." right before text mode setup was about to start.

I was careful with word wrap in your message, so it's not from that...

Yeah, I don't think it will work there.

Add the command to the unattended, runonce tab in nLite. It will be placed in nlite.cmd then and should go through.

Sorry, it didn't work.

Oh, I found another thread about that and a explanation why isn't working:

If anybody should be interessted in this, then the correct tweak is :

StartButtonBalloonTip = 2

However, it will not work if importing the tweak from RunOnceEx, Guirunonce or SVCPack.inf etc.

The reason for this is that the tweak only works if being imported after explorer.exe has been fully loaded. A workaround is to instead import the tweak from e.g. HCKU/Runonce which will start after explorer.exe has been fully loaded, if however, another key has been used before that, like e.g. HKLM\RunOnceEx, since if only using HKCU\Runonce without any preceding keys run, then HKCU\Runonce is run before explorer.exe has been fully loaded(dispite popular belief...)

Don't worry, it's not a big problem.

Thank you very much for these suggestions.

I get mine to work but I use the $OEM$ folders and a reg file I import 3 times... GuiRunOnce, HKLM\Runonce and HKCU\Runonce

@echo Merging 1st registry values...

ping -n 2 127.0.0.1 >NUL

regedit /s %SystemDrive%\Temp\merge.reg

echo.

@echo ...done

echo.

@echo Adding Runonce entries to the registry...

ping -n 2 127.0.0.1 >NUL

REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce /v SettingsLM /d "regedit /s %SystemDrive%\Temp\Merge.reg"

REG ADD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce /v Settings /d "regedit /s %SystemDrive%\Temp\Merge.reg"

I do it a couple of times because things like, taskbar at top, small icons on classic start menu, etc need an explorer restart and doing it multiple times was the only way I could get it to take on the first boot.

Take a look at ref.chm in support/tools/deploy.cab. Unattended.txt section.

It mentions Dependency | OEMPreinstall = Yes so maybe you need to add that.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of removing drivers completely..?

Opposite situation: is it possible to add all the driverpacks into driver.cab? I'm not talking about installing drivers during XP installation but later. Let's say that a friend wants to test his video or sound card into my computer and I want Windows to automatically found and install the drivers without searching on Internet.

If it is possible, what are the advantages/disadvantages..? I know that in text mode setup it will take a long time to copy but Windows will be too slow...?

I'm just curious, not planning to do this now...

What are the advantages/disadvantages of removing drivers completely..?

Faster setup if you remove them. May ask you for drivers if you remove one that is needed.

Opposite situation: is it possible to add all the driverpacks into driver.cab? I'm not talking about installing drivers during XP installation but later. Let's say that a friend wants to test his video or sound card into my computer and I want Windows to automatically found and install the drivers without searching on Internet.

They don't go in driver.cab they go in NLDRV folder in i386. If you don't check delete after install, I think they are stored in Windows\nldrv but I'm not sure windows will automatically search there if you plug in some new hardware. You can easily point to there if the need arises though.

I know that in text mode setup it will take a long time to copy but Windows will be too slow...?

Windows wont slow down due to some used hard disk space. I mean a defrag might take a bit longer but besides that nothing.

I'm having a problem with the version that I'm currently using on my computer.

I installed a game, I refused to update DirectX 9 knowing that I have the latest version already.

To my surprise the game said that d3dx9_43.dll is missing. And indeed was missing.

I checked, it is in that DirectX addon and the addon is integrated in the installation files.

By the way, the other two version both have this dll after installation so it must be something I removed from Windows components...

I installed DirectX manually and the problem with the game is solved.

But I wonder why that addon is not working well during the install of this version...

I added Last session...

Last Session.zip