problem restarting

Cosmin3

3 CDs? Are they for personal use? nLite is only for personal use.

Of course. In each one I removed things differently. In the first one I removed a lot (for example SFC, Help files, many services...), the second one is average and the third one is just with SP3 and updates (no settings modified, no links or files removed).

IE8 is installing ok only in the third one.

I made 3 because usually I use the first one but there may be one or more programs that do not work well in it. So I will install the second and, if still not working well, the third. Having these 3 versions is helping me to save time.

Regarding the log file, I'm no expert in reading them but is that from a failed install? I don't see any massive failure there.

Yes, it is from a failed install...

I would start a new thread about the IE8 problem here: http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/19-software-hangout/ or perhaps the XP forum.

Have a few eyes look at the log file. No one will find your post buried in this long thread.

Thank you for your suggestion.

I asked in this section first because is got something to do with modifications I did with nlite.

I will try there.

What are the consequences of removing "Remote Desktop/Assistance" completely? I mean for other Windows and nonWindows programs...

For example TeamViewer will still work...?

Later edit: and, if it's safe, which components should I remove in "Components" section and which services should I deactivate in "Tweaks >> Services"?

Edited by Cosmin3

Yeah, TeamViewer will still work.

That's up to you. I personally don't remove anything. As far as services this is what I disable but I dont use a printer, wireless, use a static IP, etc. You situation may be different.

nlite.png

I'm not sure. Like I said, I don't remove stuff. I guess just go down the list and remove anything that says remote desktop. I know terminal services is part of it so you can disable/remove that. I don't know what else that might effect. If in doubt, don't remove. You can look through this thread: What Not To Remove For Some Programs

Ok.

I deactivated these services:

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

Remote Access Connection Manager

Remote Desktop Help Session manager

And in Components section I checked "Remote registry" to be removed.

But I can still see the tab System Properties >> Remote + if I try "Remote Desktop Connection" link from start menu is showing the window.

I'm not sure that is 100% deactivated...

Edited by Cosmin3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

If I want to use these files in a normal IE8 installation (not nlite) how can I do it..?

IE8-WindowsXP-KB2183461-x86-ENU.exe

IE8-WindowsXP-KB976662-x86-ENU.exe

IE8-WindowsXP-KB981332-x86-ENU.exe

IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.OnePiece.7z

Always after Windows XP installation I set the paging file size to the recommended value. Specifically the "Initial size" and "Maximum size" are both set to the recommended value (for 2 GB RAM is 3070 MB).

I know it's a long shot but is it possible to set this in installation files..?

Hi.

Always after Windows XP installation I set the paging file size to the recommended value. Specifically the "Initial size" and "Maximum size" are both set to the recommended value (for 2 GB RAM is 3070 MB).

I know it's a long shot but is it possible to set this in installation files..?

Cosmin3, I run this out of RunOnce to set the page file:

Start /wait cscript //nologo //B //T:600 %systemroot%\system32\pagefileconfig.vbs /change /I 1024 /M 1024 /VO *

Enjoy, John.

IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.OnePiece.7z is an nLite add-on. It can only be used with nLite. For updates see here: http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/4/

but those you listed are IE8 updates and IE8 needs to be slipstreamed first.

Ok, thank you for the informations.

I understood most of what you said...

I thought that, since adding these files are the only change that I make in nlite to slipstream IE8, they could be used also directly. I was wrong :D

I asked about this because at http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/19-software-hangout/ nobody was able to solve the problem with installing IE8 directly. So I'm still searching for a way.

Cosmin3, I run this out of RunOnce to set the page file:
Start /wait cscript //nologo //B //T:600 %systemroot%\system32\pagefileconfig.vbs /change /I 1024 /M 1024 /VO *

Enjoy, John.

Thank you.

I will try to make it addon to see if it works :D

I wonder where in Windows (registry and/or file) the number for "recommended value" is written (and when is written)... :rolleyes:

Thank you.

I will try to make it addon to see if it works :D

I wonder where in Windows (registry and/or file) the number for "recommended value" is written (and when is written)... :rolleyes:

Cosmin3, here is what I use on W7. Please be sure to check your Registry to see if it is the same and remember that you alter your Registry at your own risk.
Reg Add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /V PagingFiles /T REG_MULTI_SZ /D "%SystemDrive%\PageFile.sys 2048 2048" /F

Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I tried to discover when and how this information was set during install and failed.

Edited by johnhc

Cosmin3, here is what I use on W7. Please be sure to check your Registry to see if it is the same and remember that you alter your Registry at your own risk.
Reg Add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /V PagingFiles /T REG_MULTI_SZ /D "%SystemDrive%\PageFile.sys 2048 2048" /F

Enjoy, John.

Yes, this is better. Thank you.

I tested and it's working only with RunOnce, not as addon. But it's not a big problem.

EDIT: I tried to discover when and how this information was set during install and failed.

No problem. I just realized something: I don't need to read that value; I just have to find how much RAM the computer has and multiply with 1.5.

I will make a little program that will do this and after it will write it directly to registry.

Oh, I forgot to mention: I'm a Delphi programmer :whistle: