problem restarting

Cosmin3

Hi.

Sorry for my english.

Thank you for such an wonderful tool.

I have used nlite before with no problems.

This time I tried also to integrate all patches/fixes/updates that appeared after SP3.

Some of them showed error messages when integrating but this is not the big problem.

I tried installing in VirtualBox. After the first restart, the setup entered in a fast "restart loop". I paused the virtual machine to take a screenshot:

screenshotkx.png

Probably it's my fault for removing some vital component but which one..?

I attached the last session files.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best regards, Cosmin

LS.RAR

Edited by Cosmin3

You got a bunch of updates/files there that wont work with nLite. It's not good to blindly download everything Windows Updates Download offers and add them to nLite. Go to my site and download and run the UDC-08.10.10.zip. It's specifically designed for nLite.

http://win-x.co.cc/updates.html

I'm not 100% sure that what is causing the restart problem but it's one possible thing to eliminate.

Just to be sure, I see you downloaded ENU(english) files. My downloader will do the same. Is your source ENU or whatever they us in Romania? If you don't have an ENU source you will need to download localized versions of the updates. This can be done one by one by clicking the links for the updates on my site and then changing the language on the download page.

Also, make sure you always start with a clean untouched source when you run nLite. I noticed you had 2 last session.inis.

Edited by -X-

You got a bunch of updates/files there that wont work with nLite. It's not good to blindly download everything Windows Updates Download offers and add them to nLite. Go to my site and download and run the UDC-08.10.10.zip. It's specifically designed for nLite.

http://win-x.co.cc/updates.html

I'm not 100% sure that what is causing the restart problem but it's one possible thing to eliminate.

Just to be sure, I see you downloaded ENU(english) files. My downloader will do the same. Is your source ENU or whatever they us in Romania? If you don't have an ENU source you will need to download localized versions of the updates. This can be done one by one by clicking the links for the updates on my site and then changing the language on the download page.

Also, make sure you always start with a clean untouched source when you run nLite. I noticed you had 2 last session.inis.

Thank you for your reply.

I used Windows Updates Downloader. But you're right, some of them are not good.

I'll download the updates from your site.

About having 2 last session.inis: I thought nlite will continue from where it was last time but it did not...

Thank you for your reply.

I used Windows Updates Downloader. But you're right, some of them are not good.

I'll download the updates from your site.

About having 2 last session.inis: I thought nlite will continue from where it was last time but it did not...

Cosmin3, welcome. This is a real big problem - "Some of them showed error messages when integrating but this is not the big problem." You should get no errors running nLite. You are also including updates for IE8 and Media Player 11 but have installed neither. There are several good IE8 AddOns, (search and look at AddOn forum above) and you can use WMP11 Slipstreamer by Booogy, to install WMP11 and its updates. Remember to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders and run nLite only once doing all your work. NLite will start with your Last Session if you select it at the front when running it. Enjoy, John.

Seems to work fine now.

Thank you.

Just a few more questions:

1. I checked Tweaks >> Start Menu >> Use Small Icons in Start Panel. But I want "Use small Icons in Start Menu" for classic menu to be be checked after installation.

2. I want to deactivate StickyKeys like this:

captureha.png

3. Also I want that Visual Effects to be set to "best performance":

capture2zy.png

How do I do these..?

Cosmin3, sorry, I cannot help here. I have removed the Accessibility Options, so cannot even see the options and cannot even activate sticky keys with 5 shifts. I am also running XP x64 which sometimes has different nLite options. You will need to play. I do not see the other options you would like in nLite. This suggest you will need Registry tweaks. The best way to get there is to get RegShot (free program, search). You use it by taking a shot, then making your change then taking another shot; the program then compares these and gives the difference. I have made sever Registry tweaks for my machine this way. I also suggest you install a virtual system for testing. VirtualPC, VirtualBox and VMware Player are all free. Enjoy, John.

1. I checked Tweaks >> Start Menu >> Use Small Icons in Start Panel. But I want "Use small Icons in Start Menu" for classic menu to be be checked after installation.

You will need to export some registry keys from your system.

;Small icons on CLASSIC start menu - explorer needs a restart

; taskbar

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2]

"Settings"=

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop]

"TaskbarWinXP"=

These keys control both the start menu small icons and the quicklaunch bar/taskbar position.

Set things how you like them, log off then back on again and then export those keys.

Regshot 2 Unicode can be found here. The page is in Russian. The button with Скачать on it is the download link.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ok, I exported those settings. The reg file is in attachment. How do I use it in nlite?

Oh, another problem.

Since I started using nlite I never managed to install Internet Explorer 8. It's giving this error:

ieproblem.png

I tried to follow the steps from that "Internet Explorer Troubleshooting" but no luck...

I attached the "Last session.ini".

And a question: how do I integrate the last version of DirectX for XP? I think the last version is from June 2010...

regset.reg

Last Session.ini

Regarding IE8 not installing, don't know. Perhaps post the setup log files for us to look at?

If you plan on installing IE8 you might as well slipstream it. You can download one I made with Onepiece's tool and then modified(there was an issue with a update not installing properly due to 8.3 filenames) here (Not needed anymore. Use the new nLite.), You will need to remove 3 of the updates and replace them with the IE8 ones...

IE8-WindowsXP-KB2183461-x86-ENU.exe instead of WindowsXP-KB2183461-x86-ENU.exe.
IE8-WindowsXP-KB976662-x86-ENU.exe instead of WindowsXP-KB971961-JS57-x86-ENU.exe.
IE8-WindowsXP-KB981332-x86-ENU.exe instead of WindowsXP-KB981349-x86-ENU.exe.

DirectX, don't know. Hopefully someone else can answer or search for an add-on. I do want to say that the DirectX that ships with XP is the latest version of DX9 (version 9.0c). Those redistributables that are released every few months are just new binaries that some games may require. When you install a game that requires these is will install the DX redistributable. Therefore you may not want to bother with it.

Now the reg file you will have to import during Windows setup. The easiest way to do this is to use $OEM$ folders. Make something like YOUR_SOURCE_FOLDER\$OEM$\$1\Temp and place the reg file there. Lets say the reg file is called tweaks.reg.
You will need to add "regedit /s %SystemDrive%\Temp\tweaks.reg" (without quotes) to this screen in nLite...

unattendedrunonce.png

While you are there fill in all the other unattended values like your name, passwords, time zone, CD-Key, etc.

Edited by -X-

Regarding IE8 not installing, don't know. Perhaps post the setup log files for us to look at?

Ok, but:

1. Where I can find the setup log file..?

2. As you can see in the screenshot I'm using VirtualBox to test. I can't find a way to access its HDD file in the host OS. It's a vdi file. VirtualBox calls it "Dynamically expanding storage". I couldn't find any program to read its content. Last time I tried such a program I got a blue screen saying something "Windows has stopped to prevent damage...". I went to VirtualBox forum but couldn't find a solution.

If you plan on installing IE8 you might as well slipstream it. You can download one I made with Onepiece's tool and then modified(there was an issue with a update not installing properly due to 8.3 filenames) here. You will need to remove 3 of the updates and replace them with the IE8 ones...

IE8-WindowsXP-KB2183461-x86-ENU.exe instead of WindowsXP-KB2183461-x86-ENU.exe.

IE8-WindowsXP-KB976662-x86-ENU.exe instead of WindowsXP-KB971961-JS57-x86-ENU.exe.

IE8-WindowsXP-KB981332-x86-ENU.exe instead of WindowsXP-KB981349-x86-ENU.exe.

Thank you, I'll use this when I'll decide to slipstream it. But for now I want to know why it's not installing well.

DirectX, don't know. Hopefully someone else can answer or search for an add-on. I do want to say that the DirectX that ships with XP is the latest version of DX9 (version 9.0c). Those redistributables that are released every few months are just new binaries that some games may require. When you install a game that requires these is will install the DX redistributable. Therefore you may not want to bother with it.

Ok, but still I would like to know how...

Now the reg file you will have to import during Windows setup. The easiest way to do this is to use $OEM$ folders. Make something like YOUR_SOURCE_FOLDER\$OEM$\$1\Temp and place the reg file there. Lets say the reg file is called tweaks.reg.

You will need to add "regedit /s %SystemDrive%\Temp\tweaks.reg" (without quotes) to this screen in nLite...

unattendedrunonce.png

While you are there fill in all the other unattended values like your name, passwords, time zone, CD-Key, etc.

I'll do that, thank you.

Edited by Cosmin3

I have added the reg file.

A small problem: "Use personalized menus" is checked after installation.

In nlite Tweaks >> General >> Do not used Personalized menus is checked.

Also I'm sure that in reg file "Use personalized menus" is not checked.

What to do..?

Another question: how do I deactivate System Properties >> Remote >> Allow remote assistance invitations to be sent from this computer?

Initially I thought of deactivating the service(s) completly, since I never use them, But I wasn't sure it's 100% ok.

What do you think..?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; remote assistance off

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server]
"fAllowToGetHelp"=dword:00000000
"fEnableSalem"=dword:00000000

; personalized menus off
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"IntelliMenus"=dword:00000000

; remote assistance off

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server]
"fAllowToGetHelp"=dword:00000000
"fEnableSalem"=dword:00000000

; personalized menus off
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"IntelliMenus"=dword:00000000

Thank you.

And sorry for not answering sooner, for 1 1/2 days my ISP was out (entire city)...

Sorry :D but I have 3 other questions:

1. At Options >> General >> Driver cabinets Merge is disabled by default. It seems to me that combining 2 or more cabs into a single cab file is preferred. Then why is it disabled? Should I enable it..?

2. At Unattended >> Regional section in nlite what should I set to obtain this:

likeiwant.png

With the current settings I obtain this:

nowv.png

Oh, but I want to preserve these:

rlo1.png

rlo2.png

Is it doable using nlite interface or should I have to use registry tweaks again..?

3. I deactivated "Indexing service" from Components >> Services but I still see "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching" in Drive C properties window (checked). If I uncheck it in this stage I have to click on "Ignore all" to skip some files + I have to wait a few minutes.

Question is: how can I deactivate it completely in installation files..?

Later edit: it seems that the registry tweak for "Use personalized menus" is not working - is still checked after installation :(

Edited by Cosmin3