Using Remote Desktop instead of Remote Assistance for a remote helpdes

clivebuckwheat

Hi

I know there are other products out there, like vnc, ultravnc, teamviewer etc etc, but really nothing beats the sheer speed of remote desktop, it's like sitting in front of the actual computer. I also know of the Remote Assistance feature built into Windows.

I would still like use remote desktop instead of a remote helpdesk solution if possible.

I would like to know if there is a way, to not lock the host machine that you are connected to?, so the user can see what you are doing?.

2. Is there a way that Remote desktop can be used without logging off the logged in account?, or just use the logged in account?

I would like to use Remote Desktop for a remote helpdesk solution if possible. If anyone knows how to do this things I am asking it would be the people on this board.

Edited by clivebuckwheat

Is Remote Assistance what you are looking for?

Benefits and purposes of Remote Assistance

With Remote Assistance, a support person or helper can offer assistance to users with computer issues or questions. The support person might connect from a computer running Windows® 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

After the user and helper are connected and the Remote Assistance session begins, both can view the user's computer screen, communicate in real time about what they see, and use the mouse and keyboard to work on the user's computer.

Is Remote Assistance what you are looking for?

Benefits and purposes of Remote Assistance

With Remote Assistance, a support person or helper can offer assistance to users with computer issues or questions. The support person might connect from a computer running Windows® 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

After the user and helper are connected and the Remote Assistance session begins, both can view the user's computer screen, communicate in real time about what they see, and use the mouse and keyboard to work on the user's computer.

Remote assistance is cumbersome, I tried it that is why I asked if there was a way to do these things via remote desktop?. So there is no hacks out there or command line commands to do the things I need to do using Remote Desktop

RD on the desktop, legally anyway, isn't going to allow you to use a desktop machine without locking the display. That's what remote assistance is for. It can be configured in group policy to the hilt, so while there are some front-end configurations you might have to do in policy, once that's done it can be as easy (or easier, in fact) than remote desktop. Otherwise, you're limited to using things like VNC, which you already stated you wanted to avoid.

I know - sometimes the right answer isn't the one we want to hear ;). However, I think it's worth being forthright - I still stand by my statement that it's very easy to configure RA in Group Policy, for what it's worth.

• 4 weeks later...

This is something I've been wanting for a long time.

I've tried Server 2003 and used the Shadow command, but it gave me choppy pictures on BOTH displays.

Basically, I want the same functionality as Apples Remote Desktop, where you can use your laptop to control the HTPC that's connected to a TV,

where only the RD on the laptop is lagging, which is the important thing since you want a lag free TV output.

I wouldn't be surprised if the functionality is there somewhere, even if it has to be a server OS, but I just fail to find the info about it.

AFAIK, Server 2008 doesn't work like 2003 when it comes to the Shadow command (and lots of other things).

I wouldn't care if I have to run 2003, 2008 or 2008 R2, since I can get them from my university.

The question is, is it possible?

Edited by Photek