IDE HDD visible only for a few minutes then disappears

I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 IDE HDD. The issue is that the HDD is visible for around 5-10 minutes and then suddenly disappears.

What might be the issue that is causing this problem.

I tried adding the HDD to another system and even tried in an external casing and in all its the same issue.

I even ran Seatools for DOS via the boot up disk but that too the same problem occurs after a few minutes the HDD is not detected and hence stops scanning.

Thanks in advance for all the answers / help

That drive is going/gone. :(

What you report looks a lot like a false contact of some kind but could also be something inside a chip of the PCB or a thermal protection.

Your report is missing some details, I take that you try doing a CHKDSK or something like that on the drive and after a few minutes the drive simply disconnects itself.

If you just attach the drive to a system and DO NOT access it intensively, it remains connected for a longer period of time?

Or does it disconnects ONLY when the scan reaches a certain area?

If you have or can get your hands on a contactless infrared themometer (possibly with a laser pointer), which temperatures do you read in different areas/parts of the PCB?

Example of an el-cheapo one that would do:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IR-Infrared-Digital-Thermometer-Laser-ECA01-/170469262751?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b0c2859f

Basically anything above, say, 60°÷65° is likely to be creating the problem.

In any case, you should (assuming that you have some DATA on it):

1. image the drive as-is (suitable tool reference in given link)
  2. add EXTRA cooling, like a fan, to the drive to see if it allows longer "connected time"/"bigger chunks"

Check this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=144232

jaclaz

If you just attach the drive to a system and DO NOT access it intensively, it remains connected for a longer period of time?

Or does it disconnects ONLY when the scan reaches a certain area?

If you have or can get your hands on a contactless infrared themometer (possibly with a laser pointer), which temperatures do you read in different areas/parts of the PCB?

Thanks for your response. Yes if I just connect the disk without accessing it... it shows up online longer

The Seatools reports a temperature around 75-80 I think I saw this somewhere...

Will try the other options

Thanks

75-80 degrees Celsius? :blink:

Wow! That's great for cooking! You'll be able to make quite nice thin steaks on it! :yes:

But it's no wonder the HDD disconnects. What *is* wonderful is that it actually reconnects when it cools again. :w00t: It should by now have died already. :ph34r:

Stop using it and get it a good HDD cooler, before you try to image it or do any other use-intensive activity with it.