Text Mode Welcome Screen

I recently set up an unattended install of XP SP3 using nLite for SP3 from SP2, RyanVM Integrator for Post-SP3 updates, IE7, and OEMScan, WMP11 Slipstreamer for WMP11, nLite for the .Net packages(up to v3.5) and several unattended and post-install tweaks, added the drivers using DriverPack's Base program, and then put into ISO format using nLite again. In that order exactly.

Now, post-install is perfect, I have all but the recent ten or so updates, IE7, so far every OEM machine has been auto-activated, WMP11 working, services turned off that I tweaked, drivers already fixed, .Net, and the answers provided by the answer-file in place. However, I am having one problem. Before slipstreaming everything into the disc, when I booted into text mode, I would start at a "Welcome to Windows Setup." page, giving me the options of using Windows Recovery Console, or to Install Windows, however, I now no longer have that screen and I'm jumped immediately to the partition setup screen, so I also lack the ability to do a Windows Repair with this disc. Anyone know what could be causing the skip?

I think that the problem is with one of the answers in the WINNT.SIF file, but I don't know which one. I'd prefer to edit that file, rather than rebuild the entire disc, so if that's the problem, I'd appreciate an explanation of how to manually fix it.

Here's my WINNT.SIF file in case you need it:

; Generated by nLite 1.4.9.1

[Data]
AutomaticUpdates="Yes"
Autopartition=0
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
MsDosInitiated=No

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=ProvideDefault
UnattendSwitch="Yes"
OemSkipEula="Yes"
FileSystem=*
WaitForReboot="No"
NoWaitAfterTextMode=1
NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1
OemPreinstall=Yes
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[SystemRestore]

[GuiUnattended]
EncryptedAdminPassword="No"
AutoLogon="Yes"
AutoLogonCount=2
TimeZone=015
OEMSkipRegional=1
OemSkipWelcome=1
DetachedProgram = CMD.EXE
Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %? IN ('%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\MOUNTVOL.EXE^|FINDSTR :\') DO IF EXIST %?OEM\OEMAUTO.EXE START %?OEM\OEMAUTO.EXE"

[Components]

[UserData]
FullName="StRUT"

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1
Language= "0409"

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents="Yes"

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup="WORKGROUP"

;
; Edited by DriverPacks BASE 10.06
; http://www.driverpacks.net/
;

[GUIRunOnce]
command9="%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Falkoner, you probably need to post this in the nLite forum, but I have a fundamental question. Are you using this in a business environment? The nLite license agreement permits only personal use. Please see the agreement in the nLite folder in the Program Files folder. Please see my attached screen shot of the nLite Unattended Help for the Unattended Mode. Basically, unless you use Prompt Repair, this option does not appear. Enjoy, John.

Ah, thanks for showing me that, I managed to find a way of avoiding nLite altogether now, it wasn't very compatible with the others anyway. So is there any way of specifying the Prompt Repair option by editing the WINNT.SIF file, since I'm trying to avoid nLite at this point.

For the repair option you need to remove the [unattended] section from winnt.sif. You can still access the recovery console though by pressing F10 when the F6 prompt appears.

Edited by -X-

• 1 month later...

I recently set up an unattended install of XP SP3 using nLite for SP3 from SP2, RyanVM Integrator for Post-SP3 updates, IE7, and OEMScan, WMP11 Slipstreamer for WMP11, nLite for the .Net packages(up to v3.5) and several unattended and post-install tweaks, added the drivers using DriverPack's Base program, and then put into ISO format using nLite again. In that order exactly.

Now, post-install is perfect, I have all but the recent ten or so updates, IE7, so far every OEM machine has been auto-activated, WMP11 working, services turned off that I tweaked, drivers already fixed, .Net, and the answers provided by the answer-file in place. However, I am having one problem. Before slipstreaming everything into the disc, when I booted into text mode, I would start at a "Welcome to Windows Setup." page, giving me the options of using Windows Recovery Console, or to Install Windows, however, I now no longer have that screen and I'm jumped immediately to the partition setup screen, so I also lack the ability to do a Windows Repair with this disc. Anyone know what could be causing the skip?

I think that the problem is with one of the answers in the WINNT.SIF file, but I don't know which one. I'd prefer to edit that file, rather than rebuild the entire disc, so if that's the problem, I'd appreciate an explanation of how to manually fix it.

Here's my WINNT.SIF file in case you need it:

; Generated by nLite 1.4.9.1

[Data]
AutomaticUpdates="Yes"
Autopartition=0
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
MsDosInitiated=No

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=ProvideDefault
UnattendSwitch="Yes"
OemSkipEula="Yes"
FileSystem=*
WaitForReboot="No"
NoWaitAfterTextMode=1
NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1
OemPreinstall=Yes
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

[SystemRestore]

[GuiUnattended]
EncryptedAdminPassword="No"
AutoLogon="Yes"
AutoLogonCount=2
TimeZone=015
OEMSkipRegional=1
OemSkipWelcome=1
DetachedProgram = CMD.EXE
Arguments="/Q /C FOR /F %? IN ('%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\MOUNTVOL.EXE^|FINDSTR :\') DO IF EXIST %?OEM\OEMAUTO.EXE START %?OEM\OEMAUTO.EXE"

[Components]

[UserData]
FullName="StRUT"

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1
Language= "0409"

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents="Yes"

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup="WORKGROUP"

;
; Edited by DriverPacks BASE 10.06
; http://www.driverpacks.net/
;

[GUIRunOnce]
command9="%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

if im not wrong you want repair option after you are prompt to enter for new windows installation or recovery console,when press for new windows installation,you get two option one for repair and next for new installtion,to get this repair option you should skip unattened in nlite,where you are ask to enter serial key for windows xp and more you have to skip this section,then only you will get what you want

• 2 weeks later...

if you will remove the unattended section from winnt.sif then you will have repair option and Eula screen (End User License Agreement)in text mode

but in Guimode at tr=39 you will again have Eula screen. this is serious problem in windows xp installation cd

any body know its solution

if any body have solution then report back so everybody can benefit from it

Edited by sanjeev18