I can't change my homepage in IE8

RYU81

You've got your main start and default pages in your profile's registry (HKCU) and the local machine registry (HKLM). IE8 is going to read both, so I'm going to suggest looking at deleting the values at least in HKLM for default search, default page, and start page, and see if that helps.

You've got your main start and default pages in your profile's registry (HKCU) and the local machine registry (HKLM). IE8 is going to read both, so I'm going to suggest looking at deleting the values at least in HKLM for default search, default page, and start page, and see if that helps.

I try that before show me error when edit or delete.

what virus/malware products do you have installed? Many can protect the home page on your browsers.

I use Norton 2010,I try to uninstall it after that I try to change my homepage and still I can't.

You might see if this works.......

Log on with an administrator account not guest or limited

Create the following registry file

====================================================================================

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]

"Homepage"=dword:00000000

====================================================================================

Note the blank line after "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

There must also be a blank line after the "Homepage" line

Do NOT include the ================ lines.

Save the file as a .REG file

Right click on the file and select "Open With" and then select "Registry Editor"

Answer the questions and that should do it.

If you want to reverse this and re-LOCK the homepage, change the dword's last 0 to a 1

Edited by Blekthor

• 2 weeks later...

You might see if this works.......

Log on with an administrator account not guest or limited

Create the following registry file

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]

"Homepage"=dword:00000000

Note the blank line after "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

There must also be a blank line after the "Homepage" line

Do NOT include the ================ lines.

Save the file as a .REG file

Right click on the file and select "Open With" and then select "Registry Editor"

Answer the questions and that should do it.

If you want to reverse this and re-LOCK the homepage, change the dword's last 0 to a 1

not working :}

At this point, Ryu, can you run process monitor while trying to delete those values, and then save out the .PML file? We need to see why you're unable to delete these (as long as these entries exist in policies, you will not be able to override them).

Hi,Navigate to the Web site you'd like to use for your homepage. Then, click the down arrow next to the Home icon on the Internet Explorer 8 toolbar and select Add or Change Home Page. Now you can select whether you want to Use this webpage as your only home page, or Add this webpage to your homepage tabs. Click Yes to save your changes.

Here is the solution of your problem by changing the registry but Modification in the registry is very harmful and if you are not able to do correctly you might have to reinstall o.s so do at your own risk......

To change the registry, follow these steps:

1. Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this im, in the Start Search box, type regedit.

2. In the Programs list, click Regedit.exe.

· If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or click Continue.

3. Find and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

4. In the details pane, click New, and then click DwordValue.

5. Set RunOnceComplete to 1.

6. In the details pane, click New, and then click DwordValue.

7. Set RunOnceHasShown to 1.

8. Close Registry Editor.

9. Restart Internet Explorer.