Office 2003 updates won't install in Win 7 Ult x64

MarkJohnson

I haven't been able to install any updates to office 2003 through win 7 ult x64. I get updates waiting every time I shut off my computer, but they always fail. My updates history is full of these failed updates for over a year.

Is there something I need to do to enable office 2003 updates? It seems to know Office 2003 is there, but it just won't update.

Is there a corrupt file somewhere in windows 7 or Office 2003? How can I check for corrupt/missing files?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-=Mark=-

I haven't been able to install any updates to office 2003 through win 7 ult x64. I get updates waiting every time I shut off my computer, but they always fail. My updates history is full of these failed updates for over a year.

Is there something I need to do to enable office 2003 updates? It seems to know Office 2003 is there, but it just won't update.

Is there a corrupt file somewhere in windows 7 or Office 2003? How can I check for corrupt/missing files?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-=Mark=-

I just checked and it installed two updates and sp3. they are:

Outlook 2003 junk mail filter KB975958

Office 2003 SP3

Update for office 2003 KB907417

a weird failed one is for works suite 2005 KB943973 and it's the first failed update. I don't have Works installed on this system

a weird failed one is for works suite 2005 KB943973 and it's the first failed update. I don't have Works installed on this system

It's a filter for opening Works files. The file it actually contains is:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TextConv\WORKS632.CNV

I checked, I have it installed on my system (xp x86), but through Administrative Installation Point of Office 2003. There's something weird with that update - the .msp inside, when unpacked with Universal Extractor, doesn't resolve the above mentioned filename but a longer one. That's not an error, just a different Windows Installer option or something, but I suppose it can create issues with direct installation. Since it's not an important update, I suggest you skip it altogether, if you can.

*edit: maybe it's failing simply because the file isn't present on your computer (deselected through custom install options or win7 was "smart" enough to disallow it for whatever reason).

Another question is, is Office 2003 supposed to work on Win7 x64 and/or if there are some limitations (with Microsoft support or otherwise)... I don't know the answer, I hope someone else will respond who does. I just observed, from the age of the offered updates, that maybe you don't have service pack for office installed. That would be the first step I would do, even better if slipstreamed (if your version of Office allows creation of administrative install point).

*edit2: I was blind, I didn't see it installed SP3. :) But still creating a slipstreamed install point would be a better solution (less chances of screwups), although if Office works, and updates fail, I wouldn't bother if I don't have enough time to tinker. :)

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

It's a filter for opening Works files. The file it actually contains is:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\TextConv\WORKS632.CNV

I checked, I have it installed on my system (xp x86), but through Administrative Installation Point of Office 2003. There's something weird with that update - the .msp inside, when unpacked with Universal Extractor, doesn't resolve the above mentioned filename but a longer one. That's not an error, just a different Windows Installer option or something, but I suppose it can create issues with direct installation. Since it's not an important update, I suggest you skip it altogether, if you can.

*edit: maybe it's failing simply because the file isn't present on your computer (deselected through custom install options or win7 was "smart" enough to disallow it for whatever reason).

Another question is, is Office 2003 supposed to work on Win7 x64 and/or if there are some limitations (with Microsoft support or otherwise)... I don't know the answer, I hope someone else will respond who does. I just observed, from the age of the offered updates, that maybe you don't have service pack for office installed. That would be the first step I would do, even better if slipstreamed (if your version of Office allows creation of administrative install point).

*edit2: I was blind, I didn't see it installed SP3. :) But still creating a slipstreamed install point would be a better solution (less chances of screwups), although if Office works, and updates fail, I wouldn't bother if I don't have enough time to tinker. :)

GL

I tried to uninstall updates, but it won't let me uninstall some of them. especially SP3. I guess I just uninstall the whole thing? unfortunately, I can't seem to find my install disk. I guess I just live with it this way. I wish it would let me uninstall everything though, so I can try to update from scratch.

good news is one of my buddies works for M$ and he said he will get me a copy of office 2010. woot!! now I just have to spend 3 months relearning it. It's a shame they won't leave the interface alone and not scramble all the menus.

Thanks for the help

-=Mark=-