Does This Laptop Exist?

xmf

14-15 in. screen

matte display

totally awesome processor

xp pro

cheapie hard drive (to be replaced by my own)

no silver anti-microbial finish (I hate that)

It seems like most companies are using my money to pay for expensive os's like win7 pro and big hard drives that I don't need. Tons of glossies.

I'd rather have a few discerning specs and a *ichin' processor to boot (no pun intended).

No the reason why you aren't seeing XP from OEMs anymore in the retail market is because Microsoft dropped XP support from the channel. However, you can still buy whitebook products (barebones) and put your own OS on it. Your specs made me think of this model:

http://www.msiwhitebook.com/product_spec.asp?model=MS-1454-ID1

Always good replies. Thanks again.

I found the following system from Lenovo for ~$800 (my price range). Non-pretenscious hard-drive, pretty good processor, and the design features I wanted. The memory is a little low, but in 1 dimm so can be easily upgraded later. Looks like a winner.

ThinkPad L512

i5-540M Processor 2.53GHz

XP Professional downgrade

15.6" HD AntiGlare

Mobile Intel HM55 Express Chipset with integrated Intel HD Graphics

2 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)

160 GB Hard Disk Drive 5400rpm

DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer

6 cell 2.6Ah Li-Ion

Edited by xmf

Always good replies. Thanks again.

I found the following system from Lenovo for ~$800 (my price range). Non-pretenscious hard-drive, pretty good processor, and the design features I wanted. The memory is a little low, but in 1 dimm so can be easily upgraded later. Looks like a winner.

ThinkPad L512

i5-540M Processor 2.53GHz

XP Professional downgrade

15.6" HD AntiGlare

Mobile Intel HM55 Express Chipset with integrated Intel HD Graphics

2 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)

160 GB Hard Disk Drive 5400rpm

DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer

6 cell 2.6Ah Li-Ion

That looks pretty good for someone on a budget!

You could also have a look around second hand for what you are after, I imagine there are more laptops like what you want on the second hand market.

totally awesome processor

That's uncommon in most notebooks because it usually means very short battery life and a lot of heat, and that there are other bottlenecks making performance of many tasks slower regardless (very slow GPUs are extremely common, 5400 rpm or slower drives, often less available RAM, etc)

It seems like most companies are using my money to pay for expensive os's like win7 pro

There's very little difference between XP Pro and Win 7 Pro cost wise to most large OEMs (most likely within $10). You're looking for XP which often means extra downgrade costs.

and big hard drives that I don't need

Again, hardly any price difference. A 5400 rpm 160GB'er like you're looking at is worth $40 or so. A 5400 rpm 500GB'er can be had for $50. Tiny hard drives aren't a big selling point and there's not much savings either, that's why you see bigger hard drives everywhere.

I can't stand glossy screens either...