Can't Get Online Wireless

xmf

Using XP Pro. I get a good network signal, but this error message when I try clicking to connect:

"Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks and try to connect again."

My netbook gets online no problem. The network is WPA2 protected and my non-working system doesn't ever prompt me for a password. It is configured to detect IP (and gateway I believe) automatically.

I've never had a problem with it's wifi antenna in the past.

Thank you

Using XP Pro. I get a good network signal, but this error message when I try clicking to connect:

"Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks and try to connect again."

My netbook gets online no problem. The network is WPA2 protected and my non-working system doesn't ever prompt me for a password. It is configured to detect IP (and gateway I believe) automatically.

I've never had a problem with it's wifi antenna in the past.

Thank you

Have you checked to see that the WiFi adapter is on? It's easy to punch the button and turn it off on mine. The message you got is similar to what I get when that happens. Another item to check is to see that the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service is started, Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services. I've found that mine reverts to "Manual" mode after a reboot and WiFi just doesn't connect without it. Some adapters/laptops have their own utility to do the connection, so it may be OK if it's off. Just a couple of things to check. WiFi can be frustrating to troubleshoot without another machine to see what's really going across the air.

Stan

Wireless Zero Config is set to Auto. My wifi adapter is definitely on (wouldn't see a list of networks otherwise).

Only thing I can think of is that I've done extensive tweaking of windows services and maybe something got turned off.

XMF

Does the machine in question see other wifi networks in the area??

As Ponch said it could be a MAC address issue. Make sure the router is not set for wireless access to be on.

If it is, a new wireless device will not be able to connect to the router even if it see the router.

I had this happen to me when I got my netbook and forgot to disable the feature.

XMF

Does the machine in question see other wifi networks in the area??

As Ponch said it could be a MAC address issue. Make sure the router is not set for wireless access to be on.

If it is, a new wireless device will not be able to connect to the router even if it see the router.

I had this happen to me when I got my netbook and forgot to disable the feature.

Yes, the machine picks up many other networks. As I mentioned, my other computer (a netbook) can sign in to my wifi network no problem.

Give this a try, it’s helpful with some wifi problems.

Go to Start > Run and type gpedit.msc. Under local computer policy select Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\ QoS Packet Scheduler\limit reservable bandwidth. Check enabled and set bandwidth limit to 0.