At Start Up -- New Dialog Box Appears

thecavern

I've recently noticed that a "Dialup Connection" box pops up when I initially boot up (after Windows has loaded). Actually, sometimes it appears and other times it doesn't appear. This most likely started happening when I downloaded one of the periodic updates.

I realize that many of you no longer use a dial up connection but I still have one set up. Therefore, those reading this missive may have never seen this occur recently on their PC.

There may be a general area that I can check concerning this event. Perhaps there has been a change to my executables at start up ?

Any help would be appreciated.

If your dial-up connection is your primary way to connect to the internet, and an application tries to go online at boot, this can pop up. You can check these settings that work for XP. Go to Internet Options. Then go to the Connections tab. Never dial a connection should be selected. This way, if you want to go online, you must connect manually.

I was just looking at that area this morning. I did notice that "Dial whenever a netwok connection is not present" was selected. I figured that I should change it to "Never dial...". I'm sure that's the solution -- so I did change the setting.

I am pretty sure that one of the weekly/biweekly Windows or Vista updates changed my connection settings. I certainly did not change them myself.

Thanks for the info and confirming my hunch.