crypt32 errors

leoliver

I'm running Win XP Pro SP3. Lately I've been receiving a lot of these error messages in event viewer :

" Event Type: Error

Event Source: crypt32

Event Category: None

Event ID: 8

Date: 8/20/2010

Time: 9:47:02 AM

User: N/A

Computer: LEOLIVER

Description:

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from:

<http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: This operation

returned because the timeout period expired.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

Can someone tell me if these could cause problems with Windows up-dates ?

This behavior can occur if the Update Root Certificates component is turned on and the computer cannot connect to the Windows Update server on the Internet. The Update Root Certificates component automatically updates trusted root-certificate authorities from the Microsoft Update server at regular intervals.

[...]

This behavior is by design.

You can find more information to resolve this issue at KB317541.

This behavior can occur if the Update Root Certificates component is turned on and the computer cannot connect to the Windows Update server on the Internet. The Update Root Certificates component automatically updates trusted root-certificate authorities from the Microsoft Update server at regular intervals.

[...]

This behavior is by design.

You can find more information to resolve this issue at KB317541.

Thanks for your reply , I went to the web-page you suggested and followed it's instructions on disabling auto up-dates for root-certificates . I got a feeling that action will solve the problem.

A few days ago , I posted another topic about Win up-date using so much RAM that my computer became non-responsive.

And the auto up-dating for the root-certificates may be the cause of that issue.