programs open on non-existing second monitor.

MarkJohnson

I removed my secondary monitor and I just opened my pdfreadr to read some online manuals and it opens up the document on the second display still. The video card is set for single display. I have a Powercolor HD5870 LCS+ video card. I tried setting defaults in CCC and still no love.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for any help

-=Mark=-

I removed my secondary monitor and I just opened my pdfreadr to read some online manuals and it opens up the document on the second display still. The video card is set for single display. I have a Powercolor HD5870 LCS+ video card. I tried setting defaults in CCC and still no love.

Thanks for any help

-=Mark=-

MarkJohnson, couple of guesses - never used multiple monitors. Right click Desk Top, click Properties, then Settings. See if there is a place to select just one monitor. Right click My Computer, click Manage, then Device Manager. Look for Monitors (click +) and see if there are two. Right click and Uninstall the one that is not really there. Enjoy, John.

Thanks for any help

-=Mark=-

MarkJohnson, couple of guesses - never used multiple monitors. Right click Desk Top, click Properties, then Settings. See if there is a place to select just one monitor. Right click My Computer, click Manage, then Device Manager. Look for Monitors (click +) and see if there are two. Right click and Uninstall the one that is not really there. Enjoy, John.

Unfortunately, I already did all of that with no luck. I just uninstalled the ATI drivers and installed the new 10.7 drivers with no luck there either. I even used Driver Sweeper in safe mode and nothing.

I don't know what to do next.

Thanks for the help

-=Mark=-

I have two monitors and have had a similar problem. What I had done that caused the problem was I had started a program and moved its window to monitor #2. I then turned off monitor #2 forgetting to move that program's window back to monitor #1. Next day I booted the computer and started the program again but this time I was puzzled - where had the programs's window gone? It took me a while to remember I had moved the program's window to #2 monitor - so I simply turned on #2 and moved the window back - problem solved.

My guess is - you had moved the now missing program's window to your #2, shut the system down, disconnected #2 monitor and now, without the monitor connected you can't get the window back. I know you probably don't want to do this but the easy solution is to reconnect the monitor, turn it on, the missing window should be visible, move it back to #1, turn off #2, and now disconnect it from your system.

Long way around - but it works.

Windows has a virtual desktop and some applications "remember" their last location based on that - in your case the PDF reader was last used viewing documents to the right-side of the virtual desktop, now no longer visible as there's no physical screen to display that part.

(There is nothing to stop an application reporting its location in a non-renderable part of the virtual desktop, this isn't Windows' fault.)

What you can do is hover over the icon in the task bar, then right-click the preview window (don't bring the jump list up, this will not help) and click Move from the context menu, then hit one of the arrow keys once - now you can move the mouse around the visible portion of the virtual desktop and the window will be stuck to the cursor until you left-click to drop it).

The alternative (per application) would be to go through the registry settings or INI files that have kept the record of the window location & size, then edit them directly.

I have two monitors and have had a similar problem. What I had done that caused the problem was I had started a program and moved its window to monitor #2. I then turned off monitor #2 forgetting to move that program's window back to monitor #1. Next day I booted the computer and started the program again but this time I was puzzled - where had the programs's window gone? It took me a while to remember I had moved the program's window to #2 monitor - so I simply turned on #2 and moved the window back - problem solved.

My guess is - you had moved the now missing program's window to your #2, shut the system down, disconnected #2 monitor and now, without the monitor connected you can't get the window back. I know you probably don't want to do this but the easy solution is to reconnect the monitor, turn it on, the missing window should be visible, move it back to #1, turn off #2, and now disconnect it from your system.

Long way around - but it works.

Yeah, I was going to do this, but I know more than one program does this and it may take some time to figure out all the programs assigned to the second port.

Windows has a virtual desktop and some applications "remember" their last location based on that - in your case the PDF reader was last used viewing documents to the right-side of the virtual desktop, now no longer visible as there's no physical screen to display that part.

(There is nothing to stop an application reporting its location in a non-renderable part of the virtual desktop, this isn't Windows' fault.)

What you can do is hover over the icon in the task bar, then right-click the preview window (don't bring the jump list up, this will not help) and click Move from the context menu, then hit one of the arrow keys once - now you can move the mouse around the visible portion of the virtual desktop and the window will be stuck to the cursor until you left-click to drop it).

The alternative (per application) would be to go through the registry settings or INI files that have kept the record of the window location & size, then edit them directly.

I tried the move command, but it doesn't show up as an option. I even tried alt-enter to get the menu, but it only gives me minimize/maximize. no move or restore. I think the program is maximized and won't give me move until it is in restored mode. You wouldn't know offhand of the keyboard shortcuts for restore or move?

Thanks for the help guys. I'm off to search for keyboard shortcuts.

-=Mark=-

I tried the move command, but it doesn't show up as an option. I even tried alt-enter to get the menu, but it only gives me minimize/maximize. no move or restore. I think the program is maximized and won't give me move until it is in restored mode. You wouldn't know offhand of the keyboard shortcuts for restore or move?
You could try the Windows key + left arrow key a couple of times to see if it can snap to the visible part of the virtual desktop?

With the program open and "selected" use Windows+Space. This opens the context menu. Restore shortcut key is R. Move is M. Then use the arrow keys. Even if you can't see it, practice with notepad on your primary monitor to get the keys down.

Also, all the window location info is saved in the registry someplace. Removing that info should reset their positions. I think its done with GUIDs tho. It uses these keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell NoRoam\BagMRU

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell NoRoam\Bags

With the program open and "selected" use Windows+Space. This opens the context menu. Restore shortcut key is R. Move is M. Then use the arrow keys. Even if you can't see it, practice with notepad on your primary monitor to get the keys down.

Also, all the window location info is saved in the registry someplace. Removing that info should reset their positions. I think its done with GUIDs tho. It uses these keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell NoRoam\BagMRU

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell NoRoam\Bags

I tried palying some more and finally got it.

It is alt+space (win+space game nothing), but it only gave me the short menu I listed above(min, max, & close). This time I hit ESC to get rid of the menu and it gave me the full alt+space menu and I was able to chose move and got it.

Not sure why it only gave me the short list, but ESC seems to have given me the full list.

Thanks for all the help

-=Mark=-