Can't install Win7 home on BioStar TH55B HD

MarkJohnson

I am putting together an i3 system for a friend. I purchased a BioStar TH55B HD and an i3 530 processor plus some Geil DDR3-1333 CAS7@1.5v.

I try installing windows 7 Home Premium and get the above error just before the install menu, which I figure is a cd issue. I put windows CD in my main rig and I get the install menu just fine.

I try making a bootable Win7 USB drive on my 8GB stick and get the same eror. I figure it's memory and run memtest and it's built-in to the MB. It passes 1 full test after about a half an hour.

I try to install Linux (Ubuntu 10.4 x64) and it locks up during the install processes just as it's getting to the install page.

I try installing XP Home SP2 and installs without a hitch? Now I'm really baffled.

I google a little and find someone with same exact setup and problem and he mentions his system was overclocking itself and he sets to manual overclock and puts it manually to default settings and everything went fine for him.

I have same issue, manually set my memory speed and timings and volts (set volts to 1.6v for security) and try Ubuntu agauin and it works!!

I then try Win7 Home and get the stupid error again

Exact error message is:

STOP: C0000221 unknown hard error

\systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll

I'm really baffled why it won't take win7.

I'm open to any suggestions.

-=Mark=-

ps. my system came with a dec. BIOS so I upgraded to the newest one on the BioStar website dated June 16.

Does Windows 7 recognize this hard drive? Who knows it?

I have no clue, I don't get this far. XP find it just fine, and XP seems to be running fine.

Memtest passes, OCCT CPU stress test is running fine so far in XP, It's only been 10 minutes, but it's only gotten a max temp of 51C.

My hard drive is a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB

Not sure what else to try, other than RMA.

I have no clue, I don't get this far. XP find it just fine, and XP seems to be running fine.

Memtest passes, OCCT CPU stress test is running fine so far in XP, It's only been 10 minutes, but it's only gotten a max temp of 51C.

MarkJohnson, Google gets lots of hits on "Unknown Hard Error \systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll". Have you looked at ntdll.dll on your DVD (check the hash codes)? I guess you will need to read your DVD into a folder, mount the image and look at the file. I am using W7 x64, so I assume my copy of the file will not have the same hash as yours, but here is the 32 bit version (6.1.7600.16385) of mine.

MD5: D0B2C365CAB344F1BED8A0DADD507D96

SHA-1: 6D61B868B459D6A36D59D595E07086AA3E1D0867

Size: 1.22 MB (1,289,712 bytes)

After you read the DVD, look at your System log and see if you have any errors coming from your optical drive. I assume you have a running system to do these tests. Another consideration is your HDD. Enjoy, John.

MarkJohnson, Google gets lots of hits on "Unknown Hard Error \systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll". Have you looked at ntdll.dll on your DVD (check the hash codes)? I guess you will need to read your DVD into a folder, mount the image and look at the file. I am using W7 x64, so I assume my copy of the file will not have the same hash as yours, but here is the 32 bit version (6.1.7600.16385) of mine.

MD5: D0B2C365CAB344F1BED8A0DADD507D96

SHA-1: 6D61B868B459D6A36D59D595E07086AA3E1D0867

Size: 1.22 MB (1,289,712 bytes)

After you read the DVD, look at your System log and see if you have any errors coming from your optical drive. I assume you have a running system to do these tests. Another consideration is your HDD. Enjoy, John.

First, like already stated, the install disk works fine in my main rig. I even have a win7 home x64 upg disk and get the same error. I put both on USB and get the same errors. just bizarre!

I searched the disk for ntdll.dll and found nothing. I tried looking for the system log in XP, but search gives me nothingg.

I seem to have one cursed system - lol

What folder is ntdll.dll suppose to be in on my DVD? What folder is system.log on my hdd?

thanks for help

-=Mark=-

First, like already stated, the install disk works fine in my main rig. I even have a win7 home x64 upg disk and get the same error. I put both on USB and get the same errors. just bizarre!

I searched the disk for ntdll.dll and found nothing. I tried looking for the system log in XP, but search gives me nothingg.

What folder is ntdll.dll suppose to be in on my DVD? What folder is system.log on my hdd?

thanks for help

-=Mark=-

MarkJohnson, sorry, guess I missed the point that the DVD works fine on your current system. In order to find the ntdll.dll file on the DVD you will need to mount the image. If you are not familiar with this, then it is probably a lot of work. It requires installing WAIK (Windows Automated Install Kit for W7) and running DISM. Since your DVD works on one system, then it is probably not a bad disk. The System Log I was talking about is on the system (assume XP) that you used to copy the DVD into a folder. Right click My Computer and click Manage then Event Viewer. The System Log should be in the drop list. It is looking very much like a HW problem on your new system. Do you have any HW you can swap, such as an optical drive, memory or HDD? Are you sure you have the BIOS set to normal settings for the CPU and memory - no overclock at all? Otherwise, it may well be time to RMA - but what? I would suggest you try searching the BioStar forum for your MB and see if you can discover anyone with the problem. Since you have two problems with W7 and none with XP or Linux, perhaps it is a problem with your optical drive reading DVDs. Perhaps swap in the one from your current system. Good luck, John.

thanks for help

-=Mark=-

MarkJohnson, sorry, guess I missed the point that the DVD works fine on your current system. In order to find the ntdll.dll file on the DVD you will need to mount the image. If you are not familiar with this, then it is probably a lot of work. It requires installing WAIK (Windows Automated Install Kit for W7) and running DISM. Since your DVD works on one system, then it is probably not a bad disk. The System Log I was talking about is on the system (assume XP) that you used to copy the DVD into a folder. Right click My Computer and click Manage then Event Viewer. The System Log should be in the drop list. It is looking very much like a HW problem on your new system. Do you have any HW you can swap, such as an optical drive, memory or HDD? Are you sure you have the BIOS set to normal settings for the CPU and memory - no overclock at all? Otherwise, it may well be time to RMA - but what? I would suggest you try searching the BioStar forum for your MB and see if you can discover anyone with the problem. Since you have two problems with W7 and none with XP or Linux, perhaps it is a problem with your optical drive reading DVDs. Perhaps swap in the one from your current system. Good luck, John.

After not getting any luck with BioStar, since they have no forums. I called newegg for an RMA. A bit ago I was thinking of boxing it up and getting it ready when I decided to go ahead and use my X58 memory since it is basically the same as 1156 memory. I just tried one stick and VIOLLA! It boots up fine. I put a second stick and BSOD. I then try the other memory slots and VOILLA! boots up again.

I try the Geil memory in these other two slots and BSOD. I use one GEIL stick and boot, then swap and other stick BSOD. It turns out one stick is bad. I don't know how it passed memtest and Linx burn tests?

anyway, it was a memory issues after all. I should have used my common sense and changed ram in the first place. just memtest tricked me. If memtest wasn't on the MB BIOS, I probably would have found the error right away. Who knew built-in memtest would mess me up. lol

anyway, everything is up and running and all seems well.

Thanks again for the help

-=Mark=-