Several doubts on how to create a XP image from scratch

Hello,

I'm trying to create a slipstreamed image to be deployed in several college labs.

I'm following this (very good) guide: http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp

My base source is a Win XP SP3.

But I've come to a stall...

I think before I slipstream Hotfixes about IE8 and WMP11 I must first slipstream those.

Is that correct?

Assuming it is correct, I would like to ask how to slipstream IE8 manually.

Another thing I need is changing the Program Files folder to something like \Programs.

I haven't found this information yet, and as I'm on a limited time schedule, I would like to ask if anyone can point me out on the right direction?

I guess this is it for now, but if you have any advice that you think might suit my situation please shoot away! =)

Thanks!

I would question how you want to deploy these installations first, because you need to plan this much more than you would a Vista or Windows 7 rollout, for instance. I would recommend a build lab on a Server 2003, Server 2008, or Server 2008 R2 server running Windows Deployment Services, with MDT 2010 (Update 1) installed. You can use this to build a base image from Windows XP media, and then install and sysprep it for re-deployment.

Also, what is the specific need to move C:\Program Files to C:\Programs? There are things that can break (most notably there have been patches that fail when this is changed), so unless you have a real need for it I would strongly encourage you to avoid doing this at all costs.

As to IE8, WMP11, etc, you would install these in the base image and then deploy after sysprep'ing - slipstreaming these things (as nLite does) isn't necessarily the best option when deploying supportable images. It is better to install these into a base image after testing, and patch them post-deployment as necessary.

Honestly, you really should start reading up on MDT 2010 and installing it in a lab to play with - it's very easy to use, and can automate repeatable deployments much better than doing things the manual way or using nLite. If you have specific questions, please let us know.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The deployment method is ghost. That is done because of the partition scheme needed for our setup and the need of a multiboot enviroment.

From what I've read in the past, WDS doesn't deploy a Linux without some sort of hack. I would like to avoid that.

So the plan is, create a xp image with some tweaks, install everything needed, sysprep that, create a image of the sysprep'ed system with ghost and the broadcast it to the labs.

This has worked before with other sysadmins.

As for the C:\Programs Files to C:\Programs, I've seen this option on nLite, and I would really like to do it manually. The objective is to avoid that whitespace, as a way to get rid of problems in scripts and such. What are the patches that this break? Does it exist a tutorial that tells what to change in order to achieve this result?

As for another point you made in your previous post, what do you say is the best? Integrate (with the /integrate or the -s switch? Which one saves more space?) the hotfixes on the ISO or just post-install then?

I have an intuitive notion that a direct integration is somewhat cleaner, but then again, I'm still learning. I have 3 goals with this image, usability, performance and saving disk space, the latter is kinda loose as it's the most imperative thing to do.

However all things considerer, you've got me interested on MDT, so I'll take a look at it. It might do some good things for us.

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.

The deployment method is ghost. That is done because of the partition scheme needed for our setup and the need of a multiboot enviroment.

From what I've read in the past, WDS doesn't deploy a Linux without some sort of hack. I would like to avoid that.

Fair enough, if you need to deploy Linux as well as Windows from the same solution and that solution doesn't use Windows PE images to bootstrap the Ghost process, you of course would need to use something other than WDS (or hack it, which isn't really a useful way to do it as it doesn't always work). You can still use WDS and MDT to build your image and sysprep your XP installation, though.

Also, since newer versions of Ghost already run via Windows PE images, you could use this to host your MDT Windows PE images as well as your Ghost PE images and consolidate server components. I would suggest it if you hadn't already considered it anyway, as PXE booting is just so much easier than carrying media around if you can avoid it.

So the plan is, create a xp image with some tweaks, install everything needed, sysprep that, create a image of the sysprep'ed system with ghost and the broadcast it to the labs. This has worked before with other sysadmins.
Yes, this will work, although you will find that building and sysprep'ing the "base" XP image with MDT+WDS much easier, and you can simply ghost the machine or VM after you've sysprep'ed and shut that base XP machine down. See my previous answer, though - I suggest you consider it if you haven't already, which would negate this question entirely.
As for the C:\Programs Files to C:\Programs, I've seen this option on nLite, and I would really like to do it manually. The objective is to avoid that whitespace, as a way to get rid of problems in scripts and such.
This can be done in the [unattend] section of the answer file, specifically the ProgramFilesDir and CommonProgramFilesDir settings. Set ProgramFilesDir="C:\Programs" and CommonProgramFilesDir="C:\Programs\Common Files", for instance. I still fail to see how this is required, though, as even batch scripts run under a cmd can include spaces if the path is in quotes. Seems like you would be fixing one problem by adding the probability there will be others, and I wouldn't suggest it.
What are the patches that this break? Does it exist a tutorial that tells what to change in order to achieve this result?
I've seen it break .NET patches, IE cumulative updates, as well as a Windows patch or two (it's been a few years, but it's still possible on downlevel clients like XP and 2003 that this could happen again with future updates).
As for another point you made in your previous post, what do you say is the best? Integrate (with the /integrate or the -s switch? Which one saves more space?) the hotfixes on the ISO or just post-install then? I have an intuitive notion that a direct integration is somewhat cleaner, but then again, I'm still learning. I have 3 goals with this image, usability, performance and saving disk space, the latter is kinda loose as it's the most imperative thing to do.
I prefer neither, actually - I use MDT to install Windows, then install Internet Explorer 8 or Windows Media Player 11 (or any other app), and then sysprep the machine after I've installed all of the apps I require and have configured the machine and default profile to my liking. Integrating into the source itself, either via add-on packs or command line switches of the packages themselves, has never been on my list of things that I consider doing for XP. On Vista, Win7, etc, yes, as these have good tools to handle this (and technically CBS is installing these things anyway, it's not really integrating them in the classic sense).
However all things considerer, you've got me interested on MDT, so I'll take a look at it. It might do some good things for us.
It's best feature is that with the task sequences for deploying OSes and Applications, it makes repeating your build process 100% reliable - it will always do the same things, in the same order, in the same task sequence. In fact, I don't even patch any of the apps I install in the base image - I handle that on deployment as part of the deployment process (either via WSUS, or via installing them from the Task Sequence doing the deployment or a script). It may take a bit more time, but I can be sure that each and every machine built from that task sequence, at least when it leaves my build lab, is exactly like any other machine built from that task sequence (short of hardware differences on the destination machine that can create small driver differences). For XP or 2003, that's about as good as you're going to get. Edited by cluberti
Updated 4:45PM 8/17/10

Ok.

I am convinced. Currently I'm installing a new win2k8 to do that. Maybe tomorrow I'll tell my experience with it. :)

As for the Ghost, there is a neat trick to save us of going around with media to boot it up.

Ghost doesn't recognize exotic file types, such as razer-fs so the partition doesn't end up expanded, and the can install ghost client there. Next we hide the partition, and use grub to unhide and boot it on demand. This can be done by editing the grub properties files, using ssh to linux for example.

As for WSUS, do you make updates do 3 party apps with it as well? If so, that is awesome.

Edited by bjhs

As for the Ghost, there is a neat trick to save us of going around with media to boot it up.

Ghost doesn't recognize exotic file types, such as razer-fs so the partition doesn't end up expanded, and the can install ghost client there. Next we hide the partition, and use grub to unhide and boot it on demand. This can be done by editing the grub properties files, using ssh to linux for example.

Seems like a lot of work that would be just as easy with PXE booting to a Ghost PE over the network. To each his own, but that seems like a lot of unnecessary work.
As for WSUS, do you make updates do 3 party apps with it as well? If so, that is awesome.
No, WSUS is free and does Microsoft software updates only. If you want 3rd party integration, you need System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) 2007, which is a pretty penny (of course it's much more than a patching solution too, obviously).

Back!

You were right! MDT is really good for OS Deployments.

But now I have 2 questions MDT related...

Can I ask them here or is there a more propper place?

It is related with the computer naming on the domain (how to give proper name to each computer), and who to do a complete unattended install even in the pxe boot (I have to choose the task to deploy in the beginning).

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Look into customization of the customsettings.ini file to answer your second question - you can pretty much automate everything, including the task sequence (although I don't suggest it, you certainly can do this). As to the first, you should probably create a new thread for the question and reference this thread as to how you're doing your deployment.

• 3 weeks later...

It is possible to use a Linux server backend to be the RIS PXE host. Maybe I should write up an article on that.

DHCPD + TFTPD + SAMBA (This is certainly possible for Win2k+XP+2003 one click deployment; one day I might find a moment to work through Vista/Win7 matters to verify it can work too).

I hear "gparted" might make a useful substitute for ghost. But if you already have ghost and it is doing everything you need/want. It just depends if having linux server side to deploy/install Windows would benefit you.