Need some help please guys

Gerry5039

I have been getting a weird thing happening to me this last couple of weeks, I can guarantee its not a virus however if I try to move a file to another drive I get,

Cannot move file. Says "Item Not Found Could not find this item Verify this item's location and try again."

if I press try again it does it.

Same thing happens when I go to delete a file I get

Cannot delete file. Says "Item Not Found Could not find this item Verify this item's location and try again."

however if I press the try again it works.

I did read somewhere that this is a bug introduced by Microsoft via one of its updates, I can't get a fix for it anywhere, can anyone help me please

Welcome to the MSFN!

:hello:

Please read our forum rules, especially #12.

Try moving or deleting from an elevated command prompt and post the output.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean, I am already set as the administrator all the time in (User's)

That's REALLY weird. I had a very similar problem this week. I couldn't delete/rename/move a couple files. However, "try again" was no help. I had to open a cmd prompt, do dir /x to see the short file names and delete them using that... Like if there was no LFN entry for the files somehow. I should have captured it all using procmon but it's too late now as the files are gone. You might want to use procmon to see what's hapenning (you can attach the log here too so we can look at it, if there's no sensitive information in it)

You could boot the computer with a boot disk like Ubuntu or other Linux live distro and delete the files on the drive through that.

You're joking right? Not very convenient way to copy/delete files. But better than nothing. ;)

You could boot the computer with a boot disk like Ubuntu or other Linux live distro and delete the files on the drive through that.

You're joking right? Not very convenient way to copy/delete files. But better than nothing. ;)

If nothing else will work, that will do it.

I'm just sayin...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been getting a weird thing happening to me this last couple of weeks, I can guarantee its not a virus however if I try to move a file to another drive I get,

Cannot move file. Says "Item Not Found Could not find this item Verify this item's location and try again."

if I press try again it does it.

Same thing happens when I go to delete a file I get

Cannot delete file. Says "Item Not Found Could not find this item Verify this item's location and try again."

however if I press the try again it works.

I did read somewhere that this is a bug introduced by Microsoft via one of its updates, I can't get a fix for it anywhere, can anyone help me please

I often had similar issues with terrible old Vista. I finally installed Unlocker 1.8.9 from this location.

http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html

I haven't seen the same issues with Windows 7