Why do some versions of Flash Player 9 work on YouTube while other ver

larryb123456

So am I right in thinking that FineSSE would help people that have win 98 install flash 10 successfully with no error messages without the need for KernelEx?

FineSSE IS MEANT TO BE ABLE TO EXECUTE SSE INSTRUCTIONS ON A NON SSE CPU. IT DOESN'T OVERLAP WITH KERNELEX IN ANY WAY.

:hello:

Many thanks for FineSSE.

I use KernelEx, so I currently have flash 10 successfully installed anyway, so I suppose FineSSE will help those without KernelEx.

Can I ask though, will this FineSSE work on older processors that have no SSE instructions?

There have been some reports that Flash 10 still has problems with some content. Hopefully Adobe now has those fixed for all MMX cpus.

FineSSE uses 386-compatible code for most of the patches and emulation, but some MMX instructions are used. Because programs that use SSE instructions will also likely use MMX instructions, I've set MMX support as the minimum processor level. Any processor that supports the full, original MMX instruction set should benefit from FineSSE. (Actually any 32-bit processor should benefit--FineSSE only trys to help if there is already a fatal error!)

CMOV and Prefetch instructions are not SSE instructions, but FineSSE handles them simply because on many MMX-capable cpus they need to be handled and can be handled. :) I have no problem with (attempting) to add support for any Illegal Instruction issues that users report.

If anyone finds an Illegal Instruction error in any app while using FineSSE, please report it to this thread. The error details will be on the clipboard for easy pasting! After some discussion here of how best to patch or emulate the problem, I'll update FineSSE to handle it.

FineSSE uses 386-compatible code for most of the patches and emulation, but some MMX instructions are used. Because programs that use SSE instructions will also likely use MMX instructions, I've set MMX support as the minimum processor level. Any processor that supports the full, original MMX instruction set should benefit from FineSSE. (Actually any 32-bit processor should benefit--FineSSE only trys to help if there is already a fatal error!)

Details on my processor are shown below, I take it FineSSE would help me, plus many here seem to know how to work this, could you possibly post a step by step guide please for those of us that aren't too sure by what's been written so far.

cpu-z_10.jpg

Edited by frogman

FineSSE will patch or emulate all illegal instructions mentioned in this thread or its references:

• PSHUFW is patched according to the Adobe Flash references
  • MOVNT instructions are patched to become standard MOV's
  • FENCE and Prefetch instructions are NOP'd
  • CMOV, FCOMI, and FUCOMI instructions are emulated

FineSSE can be launched by dropping the app to be debugged onto it (or on the command line). This method of testing does not require a restart after download.

FineSSE is installed as a Just-in-time Debugger by adding these lines to WIN.INI (or the equivalent to the registry), followed by a restart:

[AeDebug]
Auto=1
Debugger=C:\Program Files\finesse.exe -p %u -e %u

Hopefully FineSSE will fix the problems jds was having with JPEG2YUV and MPEGENC in mjpeg tools.

Fantastic! A solution to both the 686 and SSE instruction problems!

I never did solve the PNG2YUV tool by rebuilding, so this will come in handy for that situation (the PC concerned is currently in storage due to renovations, so it'll be a while before I can try this).

Of more immediate interest is the SSE capability, to help with the recent versions of Flash Player 9. The PC concerned is still in regular use, so next time I get a crash with Flash (hmmm, the rhyme seems appropriate), I'll install FineSSE and check if the problem goes away.

Joe.

Details on my processor are shown below, I take it FineSSE would help me, plus many here seem to know how to work this, could you possibly post a step by step guide please for those of us that aren't too sure by what's been written so far.

The Athlon is a great processor to use FineSSE with. It is fast and has full MMX and (I believe) CMOV support, so only FCOMI and FUCOMI instructions would need emulation.

The easiest way to test FineSSE is to put finesse.exe (or a link to it) in your SendTo folder. The next time an app crashes with an Illegal Instruction error, note the executable's name and location. Then Explore to that location, right-click on the executable, and SendTo finesse.exe. The app will launch normally. Do whatever you did before; this time there should be no crash.

You can also put finesse.exe (or a link to it) on your desktop and drag an executable onto it there.

I just downloaded and installed the latest flash version 10,2,152,32 without your tool, but I will certainly use your tool when required.

Is there any critical requirements that I would need to use your tool right now for? I was thinking of the up-to-date Java, but then Java is useless on Firefox 3.6, I am unable to play yahoo pool on my latest version of Firefox, but I can play it on I.E, the only downside to that is I get plagued with ads but I had used a blocker on Firefox but that won't work with I.E6.

The downloading of Java has always remained a problem for me.

Jumper,

Right, I did as you said by dropping the application for the Shockwave player version 11 onto the FineSSE, and it installed successfully, but even after a re-boot Firefox still reports it as version 10.

I.E6 is worse, as it wont report a version, I tried to install using that browser, but it will not install in the first place.

Edited by frogman

Jumper,

Regarding the Adobe Shockwave player, I have version 10.2r23, and I have tried in the past to update to version 11.5.9.260, is this when your tool will help?

I seem to recall that Shockwave 11 uses Flash 10. Now that you have the latest Flash 10 working with the latest KernelEx, I think Shockwave 11 will now work.

If it doesn't, please try it with FineSSE and report the results.

FineSSE helps when:

• an error message includes the words "Illegal Instruction"
  • a program uses Structured Error (SEH) / exception handling to hide an illegal instruction error from the user

KernelEx often helps when an error message mentions:

• the Windows OS version
  • a DLL or linking or missing

Jumper,

Right, I did as you said by dropping the application for the Shockwave player version 11 onto the FineSSE, and it installed successfully, but even after a re-boot Firefox still reports it as version 10.

I.E6 is worse, as it wont report a version, I tried to install using that browser, but it will not install in the first place.

Great!...however if might be due to the latest KernelEx instead of FineSSE (see overlapping post above). ;)

For IE, you probably need a separate installer. Check the Flash download pages again:

The Adobe site recommends doing an uninstall of any old version and reboot before installing new software:

I seem to recall that Shockwave 11 uses Flash 10. If Firefox is reporting Flash as version 10, that would be correct. :)

But surely if I go to the adobe site to check for the shockwave player it should report it as version 11, being that I successfully installed it.

What is the point of installing the shockwave player when all it does is use flash 10?

How do I know version 11 has installed apart from it saying completed after the install? I do not think it has installed correctly as after I check on the site there is either no animation, or prior to me deleting the old 10 it would show the older version.

Edited by frogman

I seem to recall that Shockwave 11 uses Flash 10. If Firefox is reporting Flash as version 10, that would be correct. :)

I have started a new thread on this being that this one is related to Adobe Flash player only.

I have enabled FineSSE in my WIN.INI like described above and tried to enable the built-in codecs of GOM (those had never worked yet on my AMD k6-3+), but they still crash.

FineSSE showed the following requester:

Unhandled Exception in:
Process Id: fff419f9
Thread Id: fff41c81

ExceptionCode: c0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION)
ExceptionAddress: 69852be2

Registers:
EAX= f80003ef CS= 024f EIP = 69852be2 EFLAGS= 00010292
EBX= 8524468b SS= 0257 ESP= 008ff8e8 EBP= 008ff920
ECX= 80009368 DS= 0257 ESI = 00000001 FS = 629f
EDX= 3554b792 ES= 0257 EDI = 00000102 GS= 0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:
89 82 94 00 00 00 8B 93 60 02 00 00 83 FA 08 7F

Exiting after:
1 Illegal Instruction
1 Access Violation

I also have installed the new Java version (Java Platform SE6 U24, version 6.0.240.7 ), but clicking on the "Java" icon in the system control panel does nothing.

I have enabled FineSSE in my WIN.INI like described above and tried to enable the built-in codecs of GOM (those had never worked yet on my AMD k6-3+), but they still crash.

FineSSE showed the following requester:

Unhandled Exception in:
Process Id: fff419f9
Thread Id: fff41c81

Registers:
EAX= f80003ef CS= 024f EIP = 69852be2 EFLAGS= 00010292
EBX= 8524468b SS= 0257 ESP= 008ff8e8 EBP= 008ff920
ECX= 80009368 DS= 0257 ESI = 00000001 FS = 629f
EDX= 3554b792 ES= 0257 EDI = 00000102 GS= 0000

Exiting after:
1 Illegal Instruction
1 Access Violation

I also have installed the new Java version (Java Platform SE6 U24, version 6.0.240.7 ), but clicking on the "Java" icon in the system control panel does nothing.

It appears that FineSSE handled one illegal instruction before the access violation. FineSSE does not currently address access violations, thus the error report.

To determine if the access violation occurred because of a bad patch of the illegal instruction (known to happen in early versions), we need to know more about the patch. Fortunately, several days ago I rev'ed FineSSE, adding a "-v" option to reenable a debug window I was using during development:

finesse23.exe

Add the -v option to the FineSSE command line in WIN.INI (or the equivalent to the registry), no restart required!:

[AeDebug]
Auto=1
Debugger=C:\Program Files\finesse23.exe -p %u -e %u -v

Please enable -v in the new version, retest, and post the text of the Patch Log. Thanks.

GOM now gave this error:

Unhandled Exception in:
Process Id: fff612b5
Thread Id: fff7f635

Registers:
EAX= 00000000 CS= 024f EIP = 69852be2 EFLAGS= 00010257
EBX= 530008c2 SS= 0257 ESP= 008ff710 EBP= 008ff748
ECX= e82abb90 DS= 0257 ESI = 81d83be0 FS = 562f
EDX= bff7a10e ES= 0257 EDI = 81dae234 GS= 0000

Exiting after:
2 Illegal Instructions
1 Access Violation

The patch log shows these lines:

Patch Log:
69852BD6:0F 48 C2 8B 54 24 60 C1:CMOV3 =>79 02 8B C2 E9 E0 1B 45
69852BD6:0F 48 C2 8B 54 24 60 C1:CMOV3 =>79 02 8B C2 E9 E0 1B 45

(Please add the contents to clipboard. Typing it in by hand is not really fun - like typing C64 listings in machine code from 1980th computer magazines.)