DirectX version confusion

kumarkumar

I wanted to know if I had the latest DirectX on my computer. For that I used the "dxdiag" command, wherein it gives me the information in the "System" Tab

DirectX Version: DirextX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904).

Now the latest version of DirectX for XP is 9.29.1962 (Link).

Now in this whole scenario, there are three version numbers to confuse me (9.0c, 4.09.0000.0904 and 9.29.1962).

So do I have the latest DirextX or not?

If I do have the latest DirectX, where does it show 9.29.1962 (any command/GUI to display it)?

Edited by kumarkumar

The latest redistributable is: directx_Jun2010_redist.exe as found on the Microsoft download site. My DxDiag agrees with yours but you can downlaod the redistributable and install again to satisfy yourself.

Actually, these folks are all correct, yet incorrect at the same time. DirectX 9.0c does have a build string of 4.09.0000.0904, and installing the latest update rollup from June doesn't change the fact it's still DirectX 9.0c. What you're looking for once you've installed the rollup are additional files in \system32, above and beyond the base DX9.0c files, like files that start with d3dx(9, 10, or 11)_<number>.dll (there are others, but these are the Direct3D engine updates). You'll note these do have newer values, with (for example) d3dx9_43.dll matching the build number of the latest update.

The DirectX End-User Runtimes are an *addition* to the core DirectX binaries, and contain the redistributable feature updates and language translations to the core of DirectX. If a developer actually *needs* these to run his DirectX software, these would be redistributed with the software (or at least you'd hope it would be, given that's the directive from Microsoft to developers on the DX MSDN pages). So while there are some changes in these rollups from the base DX9.0c, these rollups don't actually change the base version of DirectX on the machine - they add to it. That's why the version numbers don't change on the base DirectX files when you install the additional runtimes, and dxdiag and other tools still show the old version numbers.

Thanks cluberti for that information.

The only file matching close to the ones you have mentioned is d3dxof.dll.

system32 in my machine doesn't have any dll of file name type d3dx(9, 10, or 11)_<number>.dll

Do I still have the latest DirectX? I have limited internet connectivity, hence don't wish to download something approx 100MB unnecessarily.