Vista 64 startup problem

Nc1224

I was recently forced to hard reboot my computer. I'm going to try and be as precise that I can be in describing the problem: What happened was that I tabbed out of a game. This resulted in a black bar appearing in the lower part of my screen, covering my program list and the startup menu.

I could move my cursor around and everything, but the lower part of the screen was completley locked. I then shut off my computer and started it up again. When it rebooted I got the message "Disk read error". To fix this, I read that you could use the vista installation disk and repair. When I was starting the repair i was asked to choose a partition from a list. The problem is that there was no partitions to choose from, but I could continue anyway.

I chose the first option, I think it was named something like startup repair or something. I ran this, and here is the current problem:

I start the computer but now it asks me if I want to start in safe mode. No matter what I choose here, it continues to the green vista loading bar. But after the loading bar, nothing happens and the computer restarts, and after the startup I am again redirected to choosing safe mode. I have no idea what to do now, and I cant get into the vista repair anymore.

When I boot from the other HDD with the first one plugged in, windows is very sluggish and I have to reboot, but it seems to work fine if I only plug one HDD and boot from it. The "faulty" one is a seagate 7200.11, that I have repaired once since it suffered from a pretty well-known error with those HDD, something that It would not show up in bios, I don't know wether or not this is important.

I've tried to include everything that could have caused this problem. I've heard that it may be caused by overheated HDD, and they were quite hot, but I let them cool of and it did not fix anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Nc1224

Well what you initially described from the alt+tab definately can happen in games, especially if the game does not leave enough resources available for Windows to draw certain aspects of the screen. The part it recommended about booting off the Vista CD is equivalent to using another tool. If you have access to a WinPE or the Recovery console, you should run CHKDSK /F on the drive you think has a problem. Of course, you should probably back up your data if possible, but the improper power down could have done something to the drive that can't be fixed so we'll see.

I've tried the CHKDSK command, but I think I'm doing something wrong, I end up getting an error message, I can't remember what it is right now, I'll post it later.

I think it has something to do with the fact that i cant choose my harddrive in the recovery console, when I'm asked to choose a partition the list is blank but I can continue anyway. So when I try the CHKDSK command, it seems to check the CD, instead of the harddrive.

Edit: I tried going doing the error-check under properties > tools in the harddrive, but it says that it can't access the disk.

Edited by Nc1224

In the recovery console, I believe you should be able to run diskpart. Try it out, like this:

DISKPART

LIST VOL

EXIT

that will show you the drive letter. Find the one that is your hard drive, let's say it shows up as C:

Then use this

CHKDSK C: /F

It may give you an error but you can press Y to get past it and it will run.

I ran the

DISKPART

LIST VOL

EXIT

And it found my harddrive, but it was listed as "RAW". I don't really know what that means but I heard it's not good.. :P

I then tried to do the CHKDSK, but it didn't work, I got a "CRC-error". I tried pressing Y, but it did not work

I don't think CHKDSK can "check" a RAW format disk. The unfortunate thing is that if Diskpart is seeing the disk as RAW, then your file system is corrupted. Most likely your files are still there, but your options of recovering your system as very small. If you can get the files off using some data recovery program, do that. In the end you are going to have to format that drive! I do not know if it is possible to fix a volume that becomes RAW due to this type of problem.

I'm going to ask a question elsewhere to see what I can dig up. General question here:

Edited by Tripredacus

Yeah, I tried using a recovery program, but the time estimated was insanely long, I think it was about 200 hours, so i canceled it. maybe I should try it again.