Win7 Activation Question (OEM vs Retail)

GreenEnvy

Hi,

At work I've been using nlite for years with XP to make unattended DVD's for XP. We'd setup all our normal apps to install automatically, use our volume license key for XP, etc... I prefer this method to imaging pc's.

Now we're transitioning to Win7. I've got most of that functionality working with my Win7 image now. However one difference is we so far have not gone with buying volume license keys for Win7. We're buying machines with Win7 Pro so they have a license (Acer desktops, Toshiba laptops). For my unattended DVD, I don't have it enter a key, and I manually enter the OEM key from the computer I am working on after windows is installed.

The issue is, every computer so far has said they key can't activate online. I call into the automated system and it works fine, but it's a huge time waster.

Is the issue that I am using a retail CD (but not a key) as my base image (actually a technet retail download)? Or is there something else causing this? I had thought that with Win Vista and 7 they did away with having the actual CD have OEM or retail specific features on it, and simply the key determined what type it was?

Hi,

At work I've been using nlite for years with XP to make unattended DVD's for XP. We'd setup all our normal apps to install automatically, use our volume license key for XP, etc... I prefer this method to imaging pc's.

Now we're transitioning to Win7. I've got most of that functionality working with my Win7 image now. However one difference is we so far have not gone with buying volume license keys for Win7. We're buying machines with Win7 Pro so they have a license (Acer desktops, Toshiba laptops). For my unattended DVD, I don't have it enter a key, and I manually enter the OEM key from the computer I am working on after windows is installed.

The issue is, every computer so far has said they key can't activate online. I call into the automated system and it works fine, but it's a huge time waster.

Is the issue that I am using a retail CD (but not a key) as my base image (actually a technet retail download)? Or is there something else causing this? I had thought that with Win Vista and 7 they did away with having the actual CD have OEM or retail specific features on it, and simply the key determined what type it was?

Hello greenenvy,

The activation will fail as you are using an image that its data validation log has been used. When Microsoft burn the image into a disk it creates the dvl file which identify when the data was copied.As soon as you install it into a computer it creates an additional dvl sub which will act as the activation "link". Once is activated the dlv sub from the disk is copied and sent to the msWLV34 server(One of the Microsoft servers.This data is unique so no matter how many times the same image is used it will create the same log which match with the one in the server so it prevents the on-line activation. The only way to activate it is by calling the automated system, however when you buy the vl (if you getting it directly from microsoft) then, depending on the number of licences you will receive the appropriate disk so they can be activated online.

Cheers

Microsoft changed OEM key activations back in the late XP timeframe (but really hit with Vista) - the keys on the stickers attached to OEM machines will not activate online, you MUST call the activation hotline to activate them.

It would probably be better for you if you backed up the activation license and key before re-imaging, so as to restore the activation state of the OEM license once installed.

You need to back up the <certificate>.xrm-ms (usually located, but not limited to: %windir%\system32\oem) and your oem serial (with a tool like magic jellybean)

If you use the serial on the bottom of the PC you have to activate by phone I think

Edited by ricktendo64

At work I've been using nlite for years with XP to make unattended DVD's for XP.

And thus were directly in breach of the EULA that nLite is for personal use only.

My apologies, I probably just pressed accept on the EULA without reading it.

If it makes you feel better, we are a non-profit/charity, not a for-profit business.

Thanks for the info from everyone else about the oem keys, I think it's easiest for us just to get some volume keys, though I will look into backing up the activiation info.

• 3 years later...

This may sort of be off topic but I can't find an answer. I have a 3 computer upgrade pack of Win7 home. I only used it on 2 machines. when I went to activate the third machine, activation was denied.  I did upgrade my one machine from a P4 dual core 32bit to a AM3 64 bit machine. Does this count as a third computer? 

ExTruckie - You were answered here (post#8) -

www.msfn.org/board/topic/162319-win-7-iso/

...and you haven't been very clear in either case.

I have a 3 computer upgrade pack of Win7 home. I only used it on 2 machines. when I went to activate the third machine, activation was denied.  I did upgrade my one machine from a P4 dual core 32bit to a AM3 64 bit machine. Does this count as a third computer?

Hardware Upgrade not= Sotware Upgrade.

I -assume- you ran an OS Upgrade per the link inside above post#8 on two machines that "qualified". If the third does NOT qualify, then it won't work. You can NOT Upgrade an XPx86 to Win7x64. What does the above hilited mean anyway?

Please revisit this - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

ExTruckie - You were answered here (post#8) -

www.msfn.org/board/topic/162319-win-7-iso/

...and you haven't been very clear in either case.

I have a 3 computer upgrade pack of Win7 home. I only used it on 2 machines. when I went to activate the third machine, activation was denied.  I did upgrade my one machine from a P4 dual core 32bit to a AM3 64 bit machine. Does this count as a third computer?

Hardware Upgrade not= Sotware Upgrade.

I -assume- you ran an OS Upgrade per the link inside above post#8 on two machines that "qualified". If the third does NOT qualify, then it won't work. You can NOT Upgrade an XPx86 to Win7x64. What does the above hilited mean anyway?

Please revisit this - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Thanks again. Sometimes my brain wont absorb things. I got it now. Well I at least know what someone is getting for Xmas

Well...

when I went to activate the third machine, activation was denied.  I did upgrade my one machine from a P4 dual core 32bit to a AM3 64 bit machine. Does this count as a third computer?
you never mentioned what you mean by the hilited part.

Here are a couple of interesting articles -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_use_your_windows_7_upgrade_disk_fresh_pc

You see, without knowing exactly what you did (hilited) there's no telling what could be done. :(:no: