Windows XP Home and Administrator account

atolica

I'm building an Windows XP+SP3 for a friend and I've noticed the Administrator account is still active(or it gets activated) after using nlite, though I disabled it in the Unattended section in nlite.

Should I delete

EncryptedAdminPassword="No"

AutoLogon="Yes"

from winnt.sif? Will that make a difference? Is it Autologon=YES needed for other users or only for the Administrator account(MS docs say it is not).

Greets

Hello Atolica. Glad you edited your other thread. :angel

I'd be surprised MS docs says anything about disabling the administrator's account. There has to be an account to login at first, if not autologing. It is not very clear what you've done (added an other one ?). Anyway, you can check the last lines of your last_session_u.ini to see all accounts (inbuilt and added if any).

1st Yes/No is active/inactive

next Yes/No(s) are

- Blank password

- Must have

- Can change,

as displaye on the nLite Unattended screen.

(+ You're not supposed to nLite (=break) your friend's XP).

Hello Atolica. Glad you edited your other thread. :angel

I'd be surprised MS docs says anything about disabling the administrator's account. There has to be an account to login at first, if not autologing. It is not very clear what you've done (added an other one ?). Anyway, you can check the last lines of your last_session_u.ini to see all accounts (inbuilt and added if any).

1st Yes/No is active/inactive

next Yes/No(s) are

- Blank password

- Must have

- Can change,

as displaye on the nLite Unattended screen.

(+ You're not supposed to nLite (=break) your friend's XP).

I'm using nlite for ages, but after I switched to Win 7, I didn't have much use of it or XP. I'm just doing a favor for a friend of mine. The problem here is that his Windows XP is in French, the Administrator account is named Propriétaire, so it took some time to see that and rename the name accordingly in nlite's unnateded section.

I'm not breaking his XP, I'm a long time nlite user so I guess I know what I'm doing.

As for the other thread:

I've edited the post because he didn't have time to read it (or I think he didn't) and I was a little bit out of line.

atolica

p.s. a member since 2005 and only 199 posts??? SHAME ON ME.

Edited by atolica

his Windows XP is in French, the Administrator account is named Propriétaire

"Propriétaire" is "owner", it is not "administrateur" nor "administrator". That is the account that is created aside "administrator" to be used as normal account (with administrator's rights). I'm not sure it's a bug or a feature, but XP Home unattended always creates that account, (or maybe only when you skip OOBE), even if nLite tells you that you HAVE to create an account, even if you do it, you'll always get one more account named "owner" (or "propriétaire" here). There are other threads about that.

I know "Propriétaire" means owner, but creating an additional account?? This is not the case for XP English, is it?

All I want is for "Propriétaire" and/or "Administrateur" not to show up at logon, preferably disabled.

I think that "Propriétaire" is the "Administrateur" account, but I have to test this.

edit:

I've tested it. "Propriétaire" is the "Administrator" account, renaming and disabling it in nlite's unattended section gets rid of it and only makes it accessible from safe mode as is should.

I was right.

Edited by atolica

"Propriétaire" is the "Administrator" account, renaming and disabling it in nlite's unattended section gets rid of it and only makes it accessible from safe mode as is should.

I was right.

Don't know what you've done for tests, but "Administrator" and "Owner/(Propriétaire)" are 2 separate accounts, that's why they have different names :rolleyes: . The 1nd one is built in, the 2nd is created at end of install because you disabled the 1st one and XP needs an account for you to be able to start a 1st session. I was just trying to help but it seems you don't need anyone. :hello:

Edited by Ponch

"Propriétaire" is the "Administrator" account, renaming and disabling it in nlite's unattended section gets rid of it and only makes it accessible from safe mode as is should.

I was right.

Don't know what you've done for tests, but "Administrator" and "Owner/(Propriétaire)" are 2 separate accounts, that's why they have different names :rolleyes: . The 1nd one is built in, the 2nd is created at end of install because you disabled the 1st one and XP needs an account for you to be able to start a 1st session. I was just trying to help but it seems you don't need anyone. :hello:

When I'm telling you that renaming the Administrator account into Propriétaire in nlite's unattended section and disabling it, removes Propriétaire account(no Administrator account active then though) from the logon screen and makes the Propriétaire account accessible only from safe mode. If I don't rename it, the Propriétaire is visible in the logon welcome screen and also the Administrator account gets created.

I guess it does what I want.

Thanks for your help.

Greets,

"over 200 posts" atolica :P

Edited by atolica

So one more question...

-when you disable Administrator, the system creates Propriétaire for you to log on.

-when you rename Administrator in Propriétaire and disable it, does any other account get created ? What account starts the 1st session ? Do you now run OOBE ?

So one more question...

-when you disable Administrator, the system creates Propriétaire for you to log on.

-when you rename Administrator in Propriétaire and disable it, does any other account get created ? What account starts the 1st session ? Do you now run OOBE ?

In nlite unattended section there are the 2 default windows accounts. Administrator and Guest. I've renamed Administrator to Propriétaire hence Administrator IS(=) the Propriétaire account . The first logon is done by the user (Dorin) I've created alongside those default 2 accounts, with the autologon option enabled in nlite.

See here

23hlsw7.jpg

24m52q8.jpg

2usv95t.jpg

2dig31z.jpg

The last pic shows what users are active after logging off. The Propriétaire, (the English Administrator acc) is not active as I intended, see the 1st pic!. Do you want a capture from safe mode to see the Propriétaire account? I can do that. Are you convinced?

Edited by atolica