Getting an old DirectX 6 game to run

mjdbb1

I'm not really sure if this should be in software or hardware so feel free to move it!

I'm trying to get an old game, Star Wars Racer, working on my PC. Although it's an old game, I can get it to run in XP and Windows 7 without a problem. It turns out that the video card is the problem. I could run it with an old agp card, but not with newer (pci express) cards. It turns out that the problem is the fact that the newer cards don't handle 16-bit DirectX 6 calls.

Is there any workaround for this? Maybe emulation software or something like that? The game is old enough that it could probably be rendered in a software mode, but unfortunately this is not a built-in option in the game. Any thoughts, or is this a lost cause?

This seems to be a common problem with this game. Not sure I can help but post what errors/behaviours you are getting with the game, what your video card is and anything relevant in the Event Viewer under Application.

A VM probably isn't going to help because 3D support on most are spotty.

This seems to be a common problem with this game. Not sure I can help but post what errors/behaviours you are getting with the game, what your video card is and anything relevant in the Event Viewer under Application.

A VM probably isn't going to help because 3D support on most are spotty.

Yeah I figured this would be a tough one. The game runs, but there's only interface (i.e., the 3D graphics are just blank). As I said I narrowed it down to 16-bit DX6 calls. I've tried a few VM's that do use hardware acceleration but none seem to use DX6. My video card is a Radeon HD 4650 and there's nothing special in the event viewer.

I keep reading about some official patch you can get for the game (i can't go to lucasarts.com from work) that you copy into the data folder that might fix this.

Yeah, I've tried it. It's also known as the white-screen fix (which happened on some older ATI cards). It doesn't have an effect on this issue.

I think this is one of the few older Star Wars games I don't actually own, so I couldn't even recreate it on my own system.

Haha...well if you have any ideas I'd be happy to buy you a copy! B)