Recycle Bin for Windows 7

Howdy, I have been searching quite a bit for this and come up with a big blank. I even tried Regshot with no luck. I am looking for registry tweaks that will allow me to disable the delete confirmation in Windows 7 and manually set the size of the Recycle Bin. I would like this done via registry so I can add them in my unattended installs. Any help would be appreciated. Have a good day fellas.

Kevin

Howdy, I have been searching quite a bit for this and come up with a big blank. I even tried Regshot with no luck. I am looking for registry tweaks that will allow me to disable the delete confirmation in Windows 7 and manually set the size of the Recycle Bin. I would like this done via registry so I can add them in my unattended installs. Any help would be appreciated. Have a good day fellas.

Kevin

kevin34, I find it here using RegShot on my W7 X64 Ultimate:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\Volume\{397ef1c4-8f84-11df-bfa0-806e6f6e6963}]

"NukeOnDelete"=dword:00000001

Enjoy, John.

kevin34, I find it here using RegShot on my W7 X64 Ultimate:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\Volume\{397ef1c4-8f84-11df-bfa0-806e6f6e6963}]

"NukeOnDelete"=dword:00000001

Enjoy, John.

Hey John, thanks a bunch for the reply chief. 'NukeOnDelete' actually prevents the file from going to the recycle bin altogether. Apologies if I wasn't clear; I do want the files to go to the recycle bin, I just don't want the initial 'Are you sure you want to delete this file\folder?' dialog. Also, I believe that hash number is user specific so I'm not sure how I would implement that in the HKEY_USERS\DefaultUser profile for an unattended install. Thanks again.

Kevin

kevin34, please try this key/value. Your contents may vary, so look at yours and modify as needed. I think the first is with confirmation dialog enabled. If you do not see the key/value in your Registry, then change the check box/Apply, then look again.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]

"ShellState"=hex:24,00,00,00,33,a8,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

"ShellState"=hex:24,00,00,00,37,a8,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

I deal with the GUID problem by using an AutoIt script to read the following key then use it to store my value. I do not modify the NukeOnDelete, but set my maximum recycle size. This GUID process works for me, but, of course, there are no guarantees from this end. Hope this information is useful. Enjoy, John.
$LastEnum = RegRead ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket", "LastEnum")

kevin34, please try this key/value. Your contents may vary, so look at yours and modify as needed. I think the first is with confirmation dialog enabled. If you do not see the key/value in your Registry, then change the check box/Apply, then look again.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]

"ShellState"=hex:24,00,00,00,33,a8,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

"ShellState"=hex:24,00,00,00,37,a8,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\

I deal with the GUID problem by using an AutoIt script to read the following key then use it to store my value. I do not modify the NukeOnDelete, but set my maximum recycle size. This GUID process works for me, but, of course, there are no guarantees from this end. Hope this information is useful. Enjoy, John.
$LastEnum = RegRead ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket", "LastEnum")

Hey John, thanks a ton that tweak seems to work. For some reason in my entry there is one minor variation, the entry you posted has a8 right after the 33 or 37, mine was 08. I changed it on mine to a8 and didn't notice any difference. As far as the size of the recycle bin, I may look into using a script like you said, I've never an AutoIT script myself. Thanks again for showing me where this was, much appreciated. Have a good day.

Kevin

Hey John, thanks a ton that tweak seems to work. For some reason in my entry there is one minor variation, the entry you posted has a8 right after the 33 or 37, mine was 08. I changed it on mine to a8 and didn't notice any difference. As far as the size of the recycle bin, I may look into using a script like you said, I've never an AutoIT script myself. Thanks again for showing me where this was, much appreciated. Have a good day.

Kevin

kevin34, you are welcome. I should point point out a concern with the size key. Please look at the LastEnum value and you will see that there is a GUID for each of your HDDs. When I had one (on my VM) my script worked fine. When there were several (on my HW), then my script failed. I never figured out how to determine which GUID went with which HDD. I assume it can be done and may get back to it some day. Enjoy, John.

kevin34, you are welcome. I should point point out a concern with the size key. Please look at the LastEnum value and you will see that there is a GUID for each of your HDDs. When I had one (on my VM) my script worked fine. When there were several (on my HW), then my script failed. I never figured out how to determine which GUID went with which HDD. I assume it can be done and may get back to it some day. Enjoy, John.

Hey John, I just decided not to worry about the size of the Recycle Bin for now. If it becomes that important I will do it manually. Do you happen to know why I would have that 08 after the 37 in the registry key opposed to you having a8? I changed mine to a8 and didn't notice a difference in any windows or Recycle Bin properties. Also, another tweak I was looking for earlier was to display small icons on the desktop. I couldn't find it, however, the only icon I ever have on the desktop is the Recycle Bin so I just decided to disable desktop icons. If you do know a tweak for small desktop icons please share so I could possibly use it in the future. Thanks again, have a good one.

Kevin

Hey John, I just decided not to worry about the size of the Recycle Bin for now. If it becomes that important I will do it manually. Do you happen to know why I would have that 08 after the 37 in the registry key opposed to you having a8? I changed mine to a8 and didn't notice a difference in any windows or Recycle Bin properties. Also, another tweak I was looking for earlier was to display small icons on the desktop. I couldn't find it, however, the only icon I ever have on the desktop is the Recycle Bin so I just decided to disable desktop icons. If you do know a tweak for small desktop icons please share so I could possibly use it in the future. Thanks again, have a good one.

Kevin

kevin34, I do not know what the other values do in ShellState. That is why I suggested you modify your copy of the value. Google gets lots of hits on HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellState, so maybe there is some info there. I played a little with the icon size on my VM (RegShot) and could make little sense of it. Most of the times I saw no changes to the Registry and some time changes to keys that made no sense. I suspect the icon size is not kept in the Registry. Enjoy, John.

The problem I have writing the registry settings to HKCU.. for Recycle Bin is the Volume GUID changes with each fresh install so that that listed in the inf, copied from a previous install, is no longer valid and, therefore, does not change any of the recycle bin parameters.