Share Folders in Windows 7 with XP

rayser

Here is what i was trying:

i right-clicked on the folder i wanted to share (C:\Users\Public) and chose Properties->Sharing->Advanced Sharing->Share this Folder->Permissions set to Everyone Access

I also Changed Security Permissions to Everyone Access.

When i now try to Access them from my XP-PC: "\\Win7 can not be found"

I cant even ping from one pc to the other even though they are in the same network XP (192.168.0.20) Win7 (192.168.0.8) i can ping the gateway and get to the Internet from both

I would be happy if the XP-PC would recognize at least \\Win7 then i could work from there...

I guess the Windows Firewall (the only one i am using on Win7) could be the problem, but why doesn't anyone else have this problem then? (aren't they using the default win7-firewall settings?)

Win7 is Windows 7 Professional

WinXP is Windows XP Professional

Windows 7 doesn't allow ICMP through the firewall by default, so ping would indeed fail. However, you should be able to go to \\win7 and view any public shares that are available - if not, try disabling the Win7 firewall to see if it magically works (it probably will if you get to that point), and if so, you'll have to tweak the firewall rules on the Win7 box to allow the traffic you want on the network profile it's using for that network.

Actually it is working now (by using the ip-addresses anyway \\192.168.0.42) the windowsfirewall doesnt seem to be the problem.

My router firewall has a Wireless-option calles "WMM" (nothing more) i enabled it an looked if it works, it works! ping and shares!

I disabled it: Everything still works... >< i love this machines.

That i cant access \\Win7 (like with the name and not by ip) is a NetBios-problem i guess which is caused by my Win7 using a couple of different static ips at the same time (new feature) so for some reason i think it screws up the netbios-name service or something.... if someone knows a solution just let me know