Install Windows 98 SE/ ME on a new Laptop (2009)

Roug

Hei.

I bought Windows 98SE and ME because i want to play old games on my new laptop(running Linux)

i tried Windows 98 boot cd, but i got a error after i choose run from cd-rom message "ocm001 invalid device driver" i am just wondering what is wrong, cant i install Win98 on a new laptop?

i would love if someone could help me to get it working in dualboot with linux, i have tried VMware Workstation (bought it) just so i could play Baldurs Gate 1 in Win98 but i got a invalid Vidoe driver error when i push the start button:( and VMware community says its because they are not supporting "old Win98" video drivers!

NUTS!

Hei.

I bought Windows 98SE and ME because i want to play old games on my new laptop(running Linux)

i tried Windows 98 boot cd, but i got a error after i choose run from cd-rom message "ocm001 invalid device driver" i am just wondering what is wrong, cant i install Win98 on a new laptop?

i would love if someone could help me to get it working in dualboot with linux, i have tried VMware Workstation (bought it) just so i could play Baldurs Gate 1 in Win98 but i got a invalid Vidoe driver error when i push the start button:( and VMware community says its because they are not supporting "old Win98" video drivers!

NUTS!

Whether you can still install Windows 9x on a modern laptop will depend on your laptop's configuration. Whether you can install and run Windows 9x with easily and have good performance on modern hardware is a totally different matter.

It will help if you could post your full system's specs here.

About the "ocm001 invalid device driver message":

Did you see the startup menu which the Windows 98 disk/disc will display when it's booted?

I've never seen that message before, and I don't think that it's part of Windows 98...

If you really want to play older games, I think that a much easier way is to buy an older 2nd hand PC that can run Windows 98 properly.

Of course, do that only if you have a system like mine that's almost totally incapable of getting Windows 98 installed and running.

I have tought about that, then we got 3 laptops i dont think my wife is going to be happy about that:P

i booted from win98 cd and i also tried Me cd, i got to the part where it says boot from hard disc and boot from cd-rom, i pushd cdrom and then i got the error. I have never seen that error before either, only got it with with 98 and Me now, so it has to be something with bios or maybe i need a driver? it like that boot cd doesnt find the cd-rom driver?

i also tried a bootable usb pen, i got to win98 loadingscreen and it stopped.

i know virtual pc 2007 works with windows 98 (tested it) but then again i have to use Win XP or Win 7, it doesnt work with Wine:(

You can use Qemu, if your laptop is fast enough, you will have in Qemu the same feeling of, say, a 400 Mhz machine, more than enough.

You can try quickly this one:

Check on the specs of your PC if it the optical drive is SATA, if yes, most probably that's the problem, and you may want/need to either attempt (and troubleshoot) the USB way or do a "local" install (from files pre-copied to internal hard disk).

jaclaz

Right question is:

Which is chipset of your laptop ?

If it is VIA or SiS it is possible that you can download original video (GPU) drivers, but if it's Intel (after i915) or NVidia only solutions are user made drivers (if they are created).

Right question is:

Which is chipset of your laptop ?

If it is VIA or SiS it is possible that you can download original video (GPU) drivers, but if it's Intel (after i915) or NVidia only solutions are user made drivers (if they are created).

A question (if I have understood all right): There is a Win9x original video driver also for Intel 915 GPU (Bearwindows driver apart!)?

Another question (more general): If I try an Win98 installation on my new (second hand) PC P4 516M Ram with I915 GPU with an older version of Intel video driver (example: for I865), can I damage the video card (higher GPU temperatures, or other problems)?

By I41Mar.

Edited by I41Mar

1) No.

2) I don't know. AFAIK, it just won't work.

For all about GMA900 read this thread: Asus Eee PC and Windows 9x... the Eee PC 4G is an Intel 910GML/915GM(S) & ICH6-M machine, so all that's said there applies. I searched around and, by now, I'm pretty convinced the Northbridge is actually a 910GML, to be exact, but all the Northbriges in that family do differ only in very minor details.

A question (if I have understood all right): There is a Win9x original video driver also for Intel 915 GPU (Bearwindows driver apart!)?

Few years ago (2 or 3) there has been discussion on this forum that first versions (alfa or beta) of Intel915 chipset has supported Windows 98, but not final version.

After looking internet about i915 drivers my today "discovery" is:

http://intel.driversdown.com/Intel-drivers/Mobile-Intel-915-Express-Chipset-Family-INF-Update-Utility-6.3.0.1007-Windows-98-ME-Server-2003_70385.shtml

http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/win98-intel-chipset-915-help-111915712.html

and for the end you can download Gigabyte Intel VGA (865/915/945) Driver Beta 6.14.10.4322:

http://www.download3k.com/Drivers/Graphics/Gigabyte/Download-Gigabyte-Intel-VGA-865-915-945-Driver-Beta.html

Edited by Rjecina

Hello Rjecina.

- About the original video driver for Intel 915 GPU -

The provided link for the video driver (www.download3k.com/Install-Gigabyte-Intel-VGA-865-915-945-Driver-Beta.html) is only partially useful, because point to a corrupted download link (too old link? :unsure: ).

Alternatively, I searched on the net and downloaded the video driver from another site (www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/5617/), which shows the same description of the previous provided site.

On both pages there is also a reference to OS support: Win98, Me, 2000, XP; but, unfortunately, the video driver in download section is for WinXP 64-bit instead (Intel VGA (865/915/945) Driver v 6.14.10.4322 Beta for Windows XP 64 bit, link: download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/motherboard_driver_vga_intel_xp64.exe - Perhaps is a wrong link or instead a wrong description in that site?).

As previously also stated by dencorso, I believe that there is no original video drivers for win98. :(

Thank you for your kind interest and to All Members here who keeps win98SE great and alive! :thumbup

-- I41Mar

Edited by I41Mar

Hello Rjecina

Sorry if this is a little OT :whistle: .

I am using (when I have free time) a Win98SE (italian language) PC P3 256M RAM, bought in year 2000, and trying to fix some problems there.

On that PC I have also a Win98SE working copy on D: partition, available only through a customized boot floppy (thank you Cannie for the your suggested methods!). This copy is functioning only for restore pourpose of the main Win98SE present on C: partition, from some backups I have made in the past times :lol: .

I think only after a few months :angel I'll start working on the other PC, a PC P4 512M RAM i915. This PC P4 carries WinXP SP2 installed on C: FAT32 partition of a sata HD with 2 other FAT32 and 1 NTFS partitions available, a sata CD RW and USB 2.0 ports.

When I will have free spare time (I dont know when. Always happens only at night hours, when the rest of my family is sleeping!) I would like to try to run the Win98SE on D: partition of that HD, without losing WinXP (hoping not to ruin the entire installation, for me this is only an experiment! :whistle: ).

In order to leave unchanged the installation of xp and not to touch its MBR and so on (I'm a very illetterate PC user, but I have read a lot of things on this beautiful forum), I dont know if is possible, maybe I'm saying something really stupid, excuse me but my idea is... :rolleyes: :

1) create a Win98SE boot CD using the Win98 PC P3 (I think that's easy);

2) copy on partition D: (of the PC P4 HD) all Win98SE files (excerpt the same boot files used for the boot CD) coming from the Win98SE installation of P3 HD, using WinXP present on that PC P4 (easy part);

3) hide the WinXP partition C: (I never tried this!);

4) boot (only in safe mode) Win98Se using the boot CD (created by the PC P3) .

5) update all drivers (video, audio, chipset. The difficult part!).

... or, instead, I will have a nice system crash! :blushing: .

My thinking is that this will not work I41Mar because:

1) first you must install Windows 98 and only then Windows XP

2) your file sistem on D partition is NTFS

My computer is created with intel 865 chipset, Core2Duo processor, 1 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 GPU.

Operating sistems are Windows 98 SE, Windows XP, Windows 7 because of which I am having really funny partitions thanks to Microsoft. It is easy to write about this partitions, but it is hard to believe (I am having two C partitions !!!!).

Today it is officially still possible to buy MBO which support Windows 98 SE with official drivers :)